Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Worst case scenario

Congress forces draconic new fuel economy standards on the OEMS and all v8 and v6 powered performance cars are forced from the market. A special permit is required to buy a v8 in a truck and all cars and trucks are forced to become hybrids.

Now what do you do?

Myself, I'll be buying all the old v8s I can get my hands on. I will never buy a new car again.

And I'll buy a gun.

Not joking.

at all.

I agree with every word of that.

But I hope to God that we are not that far from the concept of a FREE country.

The USA I fell in love with in 1987 is no the same place we live in today. :(

The current CAFE standards did do a bit of good... but how do you break the laws of physics? Americans do not like small, wimpy vehicles. Europeans and Asians are used to them, and that's fine...over there. What these proposed new standards will do is cause a revolt among Americans who need vehicles day in and day out that have the size, power and reserves to get the job done.

The current CAFE standards did do a bit of good... but how do you break the laws of physics? Americans do not like small, wimpy vehicles. Europeans and Asians are used to them, and that's fine...over there. What these proposed new standards will do is cause a revolt among Americans who need vehicles day in and day out that have the size, power and reserves to get the job done.

True.

They will also kill the industry.

Can't be allowed to happen as proposed.

First of all... I'm with Camino and 68 all the way. I'll give up my V8s when I'm dead and that's that. Secondly, I don't think it'll be as bad as everyone thinks. Americans do not like to conform by nature, and while I see some of us giving up our biggest vehicles, I do not think legislation against all 'substantial' vehicles will ever work. And if it does, then Austrailia, here I come!

I really don't think it'll affect the industry too bad as long as it doesn't bankrupt them initially... We're americans, when faced with challenges what do we do? We INNOVATE and, just like with the 70s, I'm sure we'll be able to innovate our way out of this too.

GM stated that the technology in the Volt batteries alone would allow a Cadillac Escalade to achieve 70 MPG. We're not out of the game yet!

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The day the government dictates what we can and cannot buy is the day the wheels get set in motion for a Soviet Union-esque collapse of the government in this country. I'm in agreement that we will be able to innovate our way around this, but I do not think that the population at large will wait around for it.

I wonder how much part does Toy have to play in this ridiculous law. J/K

So tomorrow the government is going to tell me which underwear I should wear? No banana hammock please because it causes indecent curves exposure.

I doubt any draconian laws are in the works, but I would be watching the horizon, if I were you boys. The reason Europe and other places "enjoy" driving small cars is because they are paying $8 to $10 a gallon for gasoline. Nobody has banned 8 cylinders anywhere that I am aware of. Even in Brazil, which I have spent a lot of time in, there are Grand Blazers (Tahoes) and Blazers to be found, but you'd have to be making 6 figures to afford them. They are paying $R2.36 a LITRE. Try that on for size. It costs them $100 in their currency to fill the tank of a Ka or Corsa. Can you imagine the Grand Blazer?

Americans are very big on social Darwinism and I doubt any Congress would be so bold as to outright ban V-8s or high performance vehicles, but I predict that it will get to the point where the vehicles themselves and the fuel that runs them will be so outrageously expensive that only the rich will be able to afford to drive them. How does that grab you?

I don't understand why some people on this board think that we in North America are somehow "entitled" to this or "entitled" to that. Since when? Why are we so special? We need to eliminate this feeling of smugness and superiority - that is the reason that so many people in the world hate us.

We are just very damned fortunate that by isolation and geography we have never been ravaged by wars in almost 150 years on these shores, and that we are blessed with plentiful natural resources. What happens when those resources either run out or become so expensive that we can't afford them? I don't have kids, so I am the one who shouldn't give a $h!.

I am not one of those eco-freaks that thinks oil is going to run out in 10 years or that we should all move to a commune; in fact, my dream is to own a '69 Chrysler 300 some day, but I have travelled a lot and as I get older I realize that perhaps OUR way is not the ONLY way.

I doubt any draconian laws are in the works, but I would be watching the horizon, if I were you boys. The reason Europe and other places "enjoy" driving small cars is because they are paying $8 to $10 a gallon for gasoline. Nobody has banned 8 cylinders anywhere that I am aware of. Even in Brazil, which I have spent a lot of time in, there are Grand Blazers (Tahoes) and Blazers to be found, but you'd have to be making 6 figures to afford them. They are paying $R2.36 a LITRE. Try that on for size. It costs them $100 in their currency to fill the tank of a Ka or Corsa. Can you imagine the Grand Blazer?

Americans are very big on social Darwinism and I doubt any Congress would be so bold as to outright ban V-8s or high performance vehicles, but I predict that it will get to the point where the vehicles themselves and the fuel that runs them will be so outrageously expensive that only the rich will be able to afford to drive them. How does that grab you?

I don't understand why some people on this board think that we in North America are somehow "entitled" to this or "entitled" to that. Since when? Why are we so special? We need to eliminate this feeling of smugness and superiority - that is the reason that so many people in the world hate us.

We are just very damned fortunate that by isolation and geography we have never been ravaged by wars in almost 150 years on these shores, and that we are blessed with plentiful natural resources. What happens when those resources either run out or become so expensive that we can't afford them? I don't have kids, so I am the one who shouldn't give a $h!.

I am not one of those eco-freaks that thinks oil is going to run out in 10 years or that we should all move to a commune; in fact, my dream is to own a '69 Chrysler 300 some day, but I have travelled a lot and as I get older I realize that perhaps OUR way is not the ONLY way.

Good point.

Hopfully it will take a long time to get to that point..

Congress forces draconic new fuel economy standards on the OEMS and all v8 and v6 powered performance cars are forced from the market. A special permit is required to buy a v8 in a truck and all cars and trucks are forced to become hybrids.

Now what do you do?

Myself, I'll be buying all the old v8s I can get my hands on. I will never buy a new car again.

And I'll buy a gun.

Not joking.

at all.

Agreed. I still want my muscle car....I will own one.... :thumbsup:

FoG makes a good point... back in 1974 all seemed lost

but here we are three decades later & we have managed

to produce some fine products with awsome V8 power &

relatively good size. I just hope we don't have ANOTHER

1974 B.S. scenario & have to build more Vegas & Pintos

figuretively speaking to satisfy the fanatics.

"I just hope we don't have ANOTHER

1974 B.S. scenario & have to build more Vegas & Pintos"

1974 was not B.S.: OPEC flexed their muscles and probably sparked the worst recession we have ever seen. I remember the gas shortages and my father bitching about gas prices going up every week. For a while, it seemed like we in North America got the message, then the clever Big 3 found a way around CAFE regulations: SUVs not covered by CAFE regulations.

Aren't we clever?

Have we learned nothing in 33 years? Are we going to wait until Iran, Venezuela or Russia forces us to their way of thinking? The trouble is, when gasoline becomes $10 a gallon via market forces it will be too late. It is far better that we ease ourselves into more fuel efficient vehicles before we are shocked into it.

I mean, we've had 33 years and still haven't learned.

BTW, I know you know this, but the Pinto and Vega were out before OPEC had their hissy fit!

Well, I live in Canada, so if that happens, there will be plenty of lag time before we copy the States. Our government isn't known for 'doing things quickly.

If that were to happen, I'd just pick up a used Mustang GT, or a 2000+ F-Body. Sure, it won't be the newest machine on the block, but it'll still be fun.

!.alternative fuels

2. alternative fuels

3. alternative fuels

Smaller cars won't fix the problem - and will leave me very surly in the bargain.

Are you prepared to buy exclusively flexible fuel vehicles and use E85 in the meantime?

Are you prepared to buy exclusively flexible fuel vehicles and use E85 in the meantime?

If it were available, I would gladly use it. In fact, I think all new vehicles should be capable of running on at least two fuels. I would even convert some of my old cars to dual-fuel or alternative fuel if it were available and affordable.

Should have been done 30 years ago.

What about Hydrogen?

I once read that BMW was always planning to offer some models that featured Internal Combustion Engines which run on hydrogen. It can't be that hard to retrofit a system like that to classics and I'm sure we'll have that choice one day.

I just think there are too many solutions and their is too much time. A 1974-esque situation is unlikely to happen. Hell, with oil alone, one company said that we have enough deposits in the gulf to supply America for 15-20 years, the problem is they haven't even started drilling it yet. We have hydrogen.... ethanol... biofuels... electricity.... I'm all for a mass conversion of bread and butter models to more efficient fuels. However, I certainly hope that us enthusiasts ALWAYS have options and fun cars.

I'm really scared about all this bull$h! eventually endangering my classic cars... But I refuse to lie down and give up.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Heh.

A little scary thought ... the government stepping in to tell us what we can and cannot drive.

I suspect if that happened, that'd be the day I stopped driving.........

*shudders*

And, I can't IMAGINE not driving or taking my road trips.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Happiness ain't never how you think it should be so" ... Duncan Sheik ... 'She Runs Away'

Propane is an excellent and clean fuel, and for a car that I'm keeping, I would consider that option. A friend of mine did it back in '79 or '80 and the car ran great but lost most of the trunk space to the tank. I really like the idea of gaseous fuels in general, so I'm hoping for feasible conversions to hydrogen.

Yes, my truck is a diesel and converting it to biofuel would be appealing after warranty end if I could find a reliable supply. For me, that is the biggest concern- a reliable source of the fuels. There is no way that I have time to "brew my own".