haypops

Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is Dead

29 posts in this topic

Report: Honda Will Not Produce Hybrid Version of New Accord

The Nikkei Sunday edition reported that Honda will not introduce a hybrid model of the new Accord when the sedan undergoes a full design change in the autumn for the North American market.

Honda will release gasoline-electric hybrid versions only of the Civic and of its new small hybrid model currently under development for 2009 (earlier post), according to the report. Honda will equip mid-size and large vehicles such as the Accord with its new Tier 2 Bin 5 diesel engine. (The Accord is one of the demonstrator vehicles for the new diesel engine technology.)

The current Accord Hybrid was really a waste of time and effort. A Diesel is a better choice.

Most Hybrids are a waste of time.

The Accord hybrid was an interesting experiment because they used the hybrid powerplant for performance, not economy, gains.

Most Hybrids are a waste of time.

What do you mean? Don't you see my avatar? It means GM is going green! :P

What do you mean? Don't you see my avatar? It means GM is going green! :P

Can I make you a nicer green one?

Thank you!

No problem, but here's one that's more the right size...I loaded the huge one by mistake :P

Posted Image

No problem, but here's one that's more the right size...I loaded the huge one by mistake :P

Posted Image

Thanks again Dodgefan. :yes:

Thanks again Dodgefan. :yes:

No problem ^_^

The Accord diesel is one car that could make me consider buying a Japanese brand. GM and Ford both need to get on the ball here.

The Accord diesel is one car that could make me consider buying a Japanese brand. GM and Ford both need to get on the ball here.

What he said.

Has anyone heard anything lately about the compression ignition gasoline engines?

Has anyone heard anything lately about the compression ignition gasoline engines?

I hear that GM has a prototype HCCI engine that they will show at an autoshow in 08.

I read in one of the recent issues of Automobile Magazine that the Camry Hybrid would be dropped after this generation in lieu of a "Prius C." That is, the Prius would become something of a hybrid sub-series of Toyota, with the next-generation (2011?) Prius under the codename Prius B, a Yaris-sized model dubbed Prius A, and the range-topping Prius C.

I read in one of the recent issues of Automobile Magazine that the Camry Hybrid would be dropped after this generation in lieu of a "Prius C." That is, the Prius would become something of a hybrid sub-series of Toyota, with the next-generation (2011?) Prius under the codename Prius B, a Yaris-sized model dubbed Prius A, and the range-topping Prius C.

Oh goody... another Toyota division.

Toyota is also able to command a higher premium for a Prius-branded hybrid than a Camry/Highlander/etc that just has a hybrid powertrain. Shows where the interest lies.

Makes sense. The Accord's IMA is way too "mild." It can't propel itself on electricity alone, and much like GM's BAS, most of its MPG increases come from non-hybrid related things.

basically, the cartel in japan has decided that since toyota is known for hybrids, it would be in the JP national best interest for honda to not compete in hybrids anymore, but to use their resources to fight against the euro diesels instead. so there will be no competition between toyo and honda and each will get annointed by greenies as leaders in the other. watch all the greenies come out of the woodwork as diesel bangers once honda puts one out. then the press will praise honda for hooking onto such leading edge tech and they'll use it as an op to rip GM to shread for its maligned diesels from 30 years ago. by then, toyo will have the prius 'brand' out and so anything honda does with the diesel from a PR standpoint will just be more press fodder, like honda is on to something new and is the only company to ever have made a diesel. money is already being set aside to shove under the table to CR and anyone else honda friendly in the past.

Edited by regfootball

LOL someone should have gone to bed earlier.

basically, the cartel in japan has decided that since Toyota is known for hybrids, it would be in the JP national best interest for honda to not compete in hybrids anymore, but to use their resources to fight against the euro diesels instead. so there will be no competition between toyo and honda and each will get annointed by greenies as leaders in the other.

Sorry I don't have the link but I read that Toyota said that the hybrids were a temporary fix until they get their diesel act together.

It's true though, the US media does love to hate anything domestic,

unless the manufacturer is based in the "land of the rising sun."