Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dragon

JD Power 2007 IQS

31 posts in this topic

Aw crap.

GM needs to get right on those quality numbers. It looks like they've slipped a bit over the past few years.

Wow...not one GM brand above industry average. EVERY GM brand got worse ratings than Hyundai and Kia.

What the HELL happened?

Edited by bowtie_dude

the IQS is stupid, I'm not too worried... remember the H2 was the "worst in initial quality" because it like its gas too much. It would be better to be higher up, but I'd be much more worried if it was the long-term reliability study.

This sounds a bit arrogant, but I also think some of the people that buy the top brands (Porsche, Lexus, Honda, MB, Toyota) are usually a bit more snobish when it comes to cars and would refuse to say the car they bought had anything wrong with it, but perhaps I'm wrong. Notice that MB is 5th and Jaguar 6th in the IQS yet their long-term reliability is usually down the tubes.

A little history:

2007 IQS results:

Posted Image

2006 IQS results:

Posted Image

2005 IQS results:

Posted Image

Don't forget that JD Power completely revamped their IQS study in 2006, so the 2005 results aren't directly comparable because of the changes.

Its a black eye for GM, no matter how you try to spin it. Disappointing to say the least.

I don't understand how in 2006 several of GMs brands were above average and every brand fell below in 2007 while brands that were far below average in 06 were far above.

I like how the subtitle says above Acura and BMW. Ford also ranked higher than Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, Saturn, Pontiac, GMC, Saab, and Hummer. I'm really pissed off about this, if you can't tell. There's no excuse for this kind of backslide. I don't care if Acura is still far below industry average, they're not the ones I'm defending on nearly a daily basis.

I like how the subtitle says above Acura and BMW. Ford also ranked higher than Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, Saturn, Pontiac, GMC, Saab, and Hummer. I'm really pissed off about this, if you can't tell. There's no excuse for this kind of backslide. I don't care if Acura is still far below industry average, they're not the ones I'm defending on nearly a daily basis.

Calm down old buddy, don't want you to have a stroke over this! :AH-HA_wink:

Calm down old buddy, don't want you to have a stroke over this! :AH-HA_wink:

Its just frustrating. :banghead:

Yeah it is not a good thing to be below industry average. GM needs at least one brand in the top three period. I hate to see Cadillac lingering that much in the bottom.

Yeah it is not a good thing to be below industry average. GM needs at least one brand in the top three period. I hate to see Cadillac lingering that much in the bottom.

What confounds me is the drop from 2006 to 2007. What changed?

I think this helps Ford a lot but really does not hurt GM too much. People will still be buying there Honda's and Toyota's,but may actually stop by and look at a Milan or Edge . Congrats to Ford for a "lets keep trying " attitude. There is some coffee brewing over at Ford and we will wait and see if GM smells it

SRX got a MCE. This survey also possibly marks the first time the 06 DTS quality numbers have been reviewed.

Not to mention the 2007 Escalade, EXT, and ESV.

SRX got a MCE. This survey also possibly marks the first time the 06 DTS quality numbers have been reviewed.

Not to mention the 2007 Escalade, EXT, and ESV.

So the supposedly best vehicles GM has every debuted caused a DROP in quality ratings? Makes no sense.

mass PMS amongst GM buyers?

Its a black eye for GM, no matter how you try to spin it. Disappointing to say the least.

qft

A couple of things to consider:

1. GM replaced a bunch of workers with their buyouts last year. The timing of that would coincide such that the first few models being produced by the new workers would be bought just before Power's surveys went into field. On the other hand, Ford had plenty of 2007s built before their buyouts were done.

2. In terms of quality trends, new vehciles (ones that were redesigned or received an MCE) usually score lower than those that have been around a while. After producing the same model for a couple of years, the plants usually have the little kinks knocked out. And, these little kinks make a big difference when you consider how closely the quality scores are. Point is that GM has churned out a lot of new models over the past year and is more apt to not score as well because of that. Still, I'd rather have a bunch of new models in the showrooms and a slightly lower IQS than have it be the other way around.

So, given these factors, I would expect GM to score much better next year...at least they better.

Edited by Windy-57

So, given these factors, I would expect GM to score much better next year...at least they better.

Quoted for truth.

Actually I am suprised Mazda scores so low.

What is more telling is to go drive cars that are 5 years old/100,000 miles. G.M. products hold up better than a lot of other cars.

Chris

Actually I am suprised Mazda scores so low.

What is more telling is to go drive cars that are 5 years old/100,000 miles. G.M. products hold up better than a lot of other cars.

Chris

GM's are about average...the Small volume imports fair worse, Honda & Toyota's a little better.

True test will be the current gen of product for the home teams.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0