Major 2007 Torrent / Equinox Recall

We just got an email yesterday at our dealership that 2007 Torrent's and Equinox's produced between certain dates are to be sent back to General Motors for further inspection. They would not specify what the problem is, just that it is NOT a safety issue. The vehicles are to be picked up next week, sent to the nearest GM tech centre, and returned. Once I know more info, I will post it.

Never have I heard of vehicles being sent back for inspection.

We just got an email yesterday at our dealership that 2007 Torrent's and Equinox's produced between certain dates are to be sent back to General Motors for further inspection. They would not specify what the problem is, just that it is NOT a safety issue. The vehicles are to be picked up next week, sent to the nearest GM tech centre, and returned. Once I know more info, I will post it.

Never have I heard of vehicles being sent back for inspection.

I have, back in 92 or 93 Saturns were bursting into flame. We had a whole trainload of them burning behind the Wilmington, Plant. Saturn had a bunched shipped back for inspection from all around the country. They also had a bunch shipped back because they put the wrong fluids in the wrong holes.

Actually, it has to do with the windshield. So far I've heard of leaking and maybe them falling or flying off. The investigation is ongoing.

Oh. That's worse.

Why would something like this only be on the 2007 Equinox / Torrent? Did they change the glue from 2006?

Oh. That's worse.

Why would something like this only be on the 2007 Equinox / Torrent? Did they change the glue from 2006?

could be any number of things. glue formula changed, bad batches received at start of 2007 run, new equipment that didn't apply it right, etc

I am sure it is far more complicated than any of us care to understand er at least me.

It seems to me the problem is much more serious than a leaking or poping out windshield. Dealers can replace or repair almost any component in a vechicle. By process of elimination, I suspect not all of the welds were completed when the body was assembled, perhaps in the windshied area. :pokeowned: 2005 Buick Allure CXL

Edited by gorphil

The good news is that the majority of the vehicles have not been sold yet, but are in transit or on dealers lots. We just got a Torrent in and sold it, but found out that the people cannot pick it up until the vehicle is returned to us from GM.

As of today GM would still not specify why the vehicles are being returned to them, but reiterated that it is NOT A SAFETY ISSUE.

Edited by CadillacCTS

if it were a Toyota recall they would be blaming the manufacturer of the windshield or the glue - Quick GM - HOP on the bandwagon and get the word out that this is not your problem and have the owner's of these cars call them!

GM still hasn't said what the problem is with these cars so I wouldn't exactly be raving about the response.

GM still hasn't said what the problem is with these cars so I wouldn't exactly be raving about the response.

I am not raving about anything...most of these have not left Dealer's lots or have been taken away from customers. I will rave that even though we do not know the reason behind the recall - they are keeping them out of people's hands, which is a far better response than having Mr. Toyota Spokesman tell the world that a snapping camshaft can be isolated to maybe 20 engines when we all know better. How many Toyota owners still have cars that should have been recalled due to sludge in the engines or steering that does what it wants to. At least GM is being proactive!

they actually might sell a lot of them in a hurry.

And then, immediately thereafter, the market for Equinox/Torrent parts would just collapse. :D

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V242000

[Mfr's Report Date : JUN 13, 2007 ]

Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 6213

Summary:

CERTAIN VEHICLES FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 212, "WINDSHIELD MOUNTING." AN INCORRECT PRIMER MAY HAVE BEEN USED WHEN INSTALLING THE WINDSHIELD. THE SAME PRIMER MAY HAVE ALSO BEEN APPLIED TO THE LIFTGATE GLASS AND THE SIDE STATIONARY GLASS.

Consequence:

IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE WINDSHIELD MAY NOT BE RETAINED TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY THE STANDARD, INCREASING THE RISK OF PERSONAL INJURIES TO THE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD, THE LIFTGATE GLASS, AND THE SIDE STATIONARY GLASS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 14, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668.

Notes:

GM RECALL NO. 07154. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153).

CERTAIN VEHICLES FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 212, "WINDSHIELD MOUNTING."

So there are at least 212 Federal safety standards. And some folks wonder why concept cars are never released as-is.

Wow, glad you found the recall because GM is still not telling us what the reason is behind it. I am assuming this is correct, although the recall was initiated to dealers much before June 14th. So there is still a small chance that there is another underlying problem.

Hello,

I am one of the individuals who has purchased the Recalled Torrent. I am not very impressed. On the 11th day of ownership I receive a frantic phone call from the the dealership telling me I need to contact them right away as my vechile needs to be sent back to the GM factory. When I arrive at the Dealership I am told it is not a safety issue and that the glue on my windsheild may not be correct. That is all the info the dealer would give. They would or could not tell me how long the vechile is going to be gone for. Just that they were not driving it, it was being picked up on a flat bed truck. I am so angry at the moment. Please keep updating this post if any new info arises out there, and I will do the same. I feel like I have been screwed purchasing a faulty and unsafe vechile which I drove for 11 days and can no longer return. Or worse I am going to get back a vechile that has had rework which they are not going to tell me about and will end up being riddled with problems down the road.

Thanks

Shaun

Edited by eneurysm

Hello,

I am one of the individuals who has purchased the Recalled Torrent. I am not very impressed. On the 11th day of ownership I receive a frantic phone call from the the dealership telling me I need to contact them right away as my vechile needs to be sent back to the GM factory. When I arrive at the Dealership I am told it is not a safety issue and that the glue on my windsheild may not be correct. That is all the info the dealer would give. They would or could not tell me how long the vechile is going to be gone for. Just that they were not driving it, it was being picked up on a flat bed truck. I am so angry at the moment. Please keep updating this post if any new info arises out there, and I will do the same. I feel like I have been screwed purchasing a faulty and unsafe vechile which I drove for 11 days and can no longer return. Or worse I am going to get back a vechile that has had rework which they are not going to tell me about and will end up being riddled with problems down the road.

Thanks

Shaun

Sounds pre-recall, as after GM's investigation they seem to have decided this is something that the dealer (or any autoglass shop) can fix themselves. Remove glass, and reseal.

The technician from the plant was here inspecting our Equinoxes. I prodded him for answers. He laughed at how this is all being blown out of proportion. He has to check the seals on the windshields. Apparently, some were primed with the wrong primer, which can cause the windshield to lose adhesion. The fix is relatively simple.

Where it gets wierd is he would not answer any questions as to the WHY. Hmm. Since it was such a limited problem and he wouldn't answer the question, MY conclusion is that sabotage happened. That would explain why GM has been so hush-hush about it, especially with such sensitive Union talks coming up in a few weeks.

Again, I am just speculating, but it isn't like these guys not to laugh at minor foibles and screw ups.

I am dealing with Boyer Pontiac.

They have been good about it giving me a rental car, although it is a minivan which smell of vomit. ( I am suppose to be getting a new rental vechile tomorrow)

Shaun

Since you didn't specify where, and I know of a Boyer Pontiac in Pickering, Ontario, I'm going to hazard that guess. Is it that dealership?