Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Vanity plate ideas.

I'm thinking about putting vanity plates on my Camaros ('68 SS & '73 Z28/RS) but I can't think of anything really cool. Anybody have any ideas?

EDIT:

Basic specs:

The '68 is a 350 4-speed car that is/will be more of a "classic" cruiser. The '73 houses a 406 with a Turbo350 transmission and is/will be more of a "custom" car. Neither will be too wild though, the plates will be NC plates which means 8 letters or less.

A few pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

F-O-G, I've never been much of an F-body fan. I'd take the biggest, softest, quietest, Oldsmobile, Buick, or Cadillac, jew canoe over an F-body any day..... but when I opened this thread and saw your cars, I thought "Damn, those are hot!". :cheers:

I don't really have anything to contribute for vanity plate ideas... just wanted to pay the compliment.

Thanks for the compliments :) These are my babies, and unfortunately, one of the reasons why I'm 25 and still in college. I spent a bit too much on restoring these as opposed to investing in my education ovr the past 5-6 years. But hey, you only live once!

Some cool ideas! I also thought about RED HOT or RED HOT Z on the '73. Originally I wanted to run BAD ASS Z but now the DMV has gotten so picky that I'm not sure bad ass z would fly. I also looked into ST. ANGER, back when that MetallicA album first came out and BLACKEND because "Blackened" is my favorite MetallicA song. That meshes my two life passions (Cars & Music)

For the '68 I thought about somehow making "Sweet Emotion" or "Dream On" (Aerosmith songs) fit. DREAM ON was the front runner, but I decided that it might come off as too arrogant and give me bad car Karma.

Maybe I could look to ZZ Top for some inspiration as well... Hmmm.

[/end rambling]

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Sorry to :hijacked: your post FOG, but I'm in the same boat as you. I've been trying to come up with a personalized plate for my SKY for over a year now with no luck. I don't have to renew the registration until 2011, so it's not like I'm in a time crunch situation. The wife has come up with a few suggestions, but I usually don't like them and she doesn't like mine (I thought I was going to go with DRKJEDI <Dark Jedi> to show my Star Wars side, but few liked it or knew what it meant). Jersey allows a maximum of 7 characters, so that has limited me some. The recent one I thought of, but can't get it to fit in 7 characters & still be able to understand, is "OUTCRUISING". Jersey also has a 9/11 plate that has great color and a great design for the American flag, but the maximum characters go from 7 to 5 with this plate. If anyone wishes to submit some for consideration, and of course still help out FOG in the process, I'd be appreciative too! :AH-HA_wink:

Posted ImagePosted Image

P.S. -- If you'd like to see what your creation would look like on an actual plate for your state, click here for a great website to use (I go there all the time to see what my suggestions look like) - and that's where those two pics above came from.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Oldsmoboi, there are a ton of Saturn SKYs out there with that license plate... go figure, right?!?! It would be fitting though, as the wife has stated that the SKY purchase is really the limit for me (no more than 3 cars)... which sucks because there's easily a million more I could possibly see myself owning. The cost alone of auto insurance, not including the monthly car payment, is enough reason to not add any more to my small fleet. :lol:

Sorry to :hijacked: your post FOG, but I'm in the same boat as you. I've been trying to come up with a personalized plate for my SKY for over a year now with no luck. I don't have to renew the registration until 2011, so it's not like I'm in a time crunch situation. The wife has come up with a few suggestions, but I usually don't like them and she doesn't like mine (I thought I was going to go with DRKJEDI <Dark Jedi> to show my Star Wars side, but few liked it or knew what it meant). Jersey allows a maximum of 7 characters, so that has limited me some. The recent one I thought of, but can't get it to fit in 7 characters & still be able to understand, is "OUTCRUISING". Jersey also has a 9/11 plate that has great color and a great design for the American flag, but the maximum characters go from 7 to 5 with this plate. If anyone wishes to submit some for consideration, and of course still help out FOG in the process, I'd be appreciative too! :AH-HA_wink:

Posted ImagePosted Image

P.S. -- If you'd like to see what your creation would look like on an actual plate for your state, click here for a great website to use (I go there all the time to see what my suggestions look like) - and that's where those two pics above came from.

That licenses plate site is good but not completely up to date. It's missing Delaware's newest plate and it's been out for 2 years.

Posted Image

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

A little off topic but;

In NC we have TONS of specialty/themed plates that range anywhere from "Friends of the Smoikes" to "Sons/Daughters of Confederate Veterans" So, I recently e-mailed the DMV about putting together a "Detroit Automakers" plate in which those who back our companies could display it with pride. Not surprisingly I haven't heard anything back from the DMV, but I would love to know how to pull something like that off!

A little off topic but;

In NC we have TONS of specialty/themed plates that range anywhere from "Friends of the Smoikes" to "Sons/Daughters of Confederate Veterans" So, I recently e-mailed the DMV about putting together a "Detroit Automakers" plate in which those who back our companies could display it with pride. Not surprisingly I haven't heard anything back from the DMV, but I would love to know how to pull something like that off!

I don't think your DMV has the power to mandate a new plate, that would have to come from your legislature. Contact your Reps at the statehouse about your idea.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

You'd probably see that in Michigan before anywhere else. Then again, I'm reminded of my own state, which owns the whole lot of 'ya with 112 specialty plates because all you need are 10,000 signatures (people will sign anything) and a $30,000 application fee (I...don't have that on me) for your thing to become a specialty plate here. And if we already have plates like this supporting our 'oceans'...

Posted Image

...though we only have one or these schmaltzy tags, which all say the same thing...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...or this stupid one, which I still have figured out...

Posted Image

...I could certainly see people buying a Big 3 plate. I would.

...I could certainly see people buying a Big 3 plate. I would.

I figured it go over well, especially in collector car circles and enthusiast groups (Like C&G... Too bad all of you aren't from NC, lol)

GMTRUCKGUY74: As for the Sky, I thought about maybe playing around with the word LIGHTNING since the Sky was originally derived from the Vauxhall Lightning concept.