Cobalt interior eerily similar to...

...the Chevette???!!!

I had the opportunity to drive my parents' 2006 Cobalt today, since my '87 MC LS was in for new brakes and shocks. Holy crap does it handle nicely now ;).

Anyway ... on the way to work, I kept thinking that the dashboard reminded me of something else. On the way home ... it hit me ... the Chevette. It reminded me a little of my parents' former 1982 Chevette.

Hmmm...take a look....

2006 Cobalt:

http://www.automotive.com/2006/102/chevrol...or/cockpit.html

1976 Chevette:

http://www.countryclassiccars.com/spcars_399.htm

(2nd pic down)

Obviously, it is NOT the ENTIRE dashboard ... just the vents, the "bulge" for the gauges, and the gauges (2 huge round ones on the end, a small round one at the top in between those).

Interesting ... and kinda makes me wonder if this was intentional. I suspect not, but then again, I also suspect I might be the only one that notices the similarities....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The truth is discovered" ... Squeeze ... 'Tempted'

Dude's got a legit point. :lol:

I almost bought a 1966 Corvair 4dr hardtop from a

dude who was busy stuffing a SBC into a 197X

Chevette two door, complete with 4-speed manual

and a posi rear end!

I need to own a Diesel (Che)Vette at some point

in my life.... esp. if I can find one with a 4-speed!

How did you like the Cobalt? I know I have to get the Caprice to the shop. Seems the A/C has decided to not want to work. Or once in the while it works when it wants to. If dad were alive that would be done already. I will see tommorrow about getting it in. It does have R-134 so it shouldnt be too bad.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

Eh. It's a bit of a stretch. Standard four-vent layout, Cobalt has three gauges as opposed to the Chevette's four, and every gauge cluster can benefit from a cover for clear daytime viewing.

There's some similarity, but there's little enough in common to call it a coincidence.

Guest YellowJacket894

The upper dash does seem to echo the Chevette's somewhat, but you wanna know what the interior really reminds me of? Well ...

Chevrolet Cobalt

Posted Image

VW Passat

Posted Image

If you don't see the similarities, you are pretty well blind then. Also, put dual cowls in the Passat interior, and you basically have an '06 Impala interior.

Edited by YellowJacket894

How did you like the Cobalt?

Eh, it was OK ... for a FWD ;). Actually, it was very peppy and had good handling. Course, I just love the orangish color Dad and Mom's is ... he he.

As for the similarities I noticed.....it was simply a "dejavuish" experience. I knew the dashboard reminded me of SOMETHING ... I just didn't realize what until I was on the way home. Then, when I looked at the pics online last night ... I really knew.

It was just weird, is all.

It's not like getting into a '58 Chevrolet and "seeing" the dashboard of a 2008 Ford Taurus..............

And, another similarity I just noticed looking at the pics again:

the light-colored circle in the middle of the steering wheel....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"How could I be so blind?" ... Charly McClain ... 'Who's Cheating Who'

The upper dash does seem to echo the Chevette's somewhat, but you wanna know what the interior really reminds me of? Well ...

Chevrolet Cobalt

Picture of 2007+ Cobalt SS

VW Passat

Picture of previous-gen VW Passat

If you don't see the similarities, you are pretty well blind then. Also, put dual cowls in the Passat interior, and you basically have an '06 Impala interior.

Now that's pretty close. I'd take it a step further and say that the steering wheel would be similar if it were a pre-2007 Cobalt.

Yup... at least the Chevette was RWD.

Yup... at least the Chevette was RWD.

Yeah, it had ONE thing going for it....

:rotflmao:

I don't see a similarity to the Cobalt's interior, the Chevette was terrible, I've been in a few.

WORST performing car I have ever been in was a Vega with a Chevette engine swapped in. Add very tall gears and voila! A car a bicycle could truly beat!

The Passat is close.

As it should be , the 99-04 Jetta was the actual interior benchmark . After having my SS for a couple years , they get a A+ on the actual design , I still love it . But , they get a D- on material usage .

99-04 Jetta interior

Posted Image

As it should be , the 99-04 Jetta was the actual interior benchmark . After having my SS for a couple years , they get a A+ on the actual design , I still love it . But , they get a D- on material usage .

99-04 Jetta interior

Posted Image

I've had mine 8 months now and I agree. I like the SS version because of the silver bars splitting it up a little. I think the design is fine, but the materials may change in my car...

99-04 Jetta interior

Posted Image

Looks like Chevy took the steering wheel design from the Passat at first too.

Posted Image

I just wish the took the materials <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Chevrolet Cobalt

Posted Image

VW Passat

Posted Image

Ooooooo.....don't get me started......lol

You can't begin to compare execution, material quality, fit-and-finish between the old Passat interior and the Cobalt (or Impala.)

Chevrolet Cobalt

Posted Image

VW Passat

Posted Image

Well, they do look kinda close...

but different in that GM way....