Next-gen B-Class coming to US

B-Class for America
Baby Benz headed for our shores
Posted Image
By EVAN MCCAUSLAND | Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek | Published 07/26/07, 10:22 am et

Mercedes-Benz’s U.S. portfolio is about to grow—by adding a small car. According to Bloomberg, the next version of the B-Class compact crossover is being designed for sale in the U.S.

Available in Europe since 2005, the B-Class is due for a makeover in 2011 or 2012. Previous attempts to alter the current car for U.S. sale were nixed for cost reasons, but the new car is being designed for global sale from day one. This process lowers cost, allowing the B-Class to build a better business case.

“At least we have the door open, so the decision will probably be done in two or three years,” said Ernst Lieb, chief executive officer of Mercedes-Benz USA.

Based on the smaller A-Class, the mini-crossover is sized beneath a Toyota Corolla but is still much larger than Smart’s Fortwo. Although current B-Classes offer a choice of two diesel and five gasoline engines, any U.S.-bound cars likely would use something similar to the 2.0-liter, 193-hp turbocharged I4 found in the current B200 Turbo.

Is that mercedes A-whathaveyou hatchback still offered, or did it flop?

This thing is yet another slapping of the now-tired mercedes face onto a really 3rd-world looking econobox. I don't get what mercedes is doing... minivans, econoboxes... have they adopted the pre-war GM slogan of ' A Car for Every Purse and Purpose'??

Is that mercedes A-whathaveyou hatchback still offered, or did it flop?

This thing is yet another slapping of the now-tired mercedes face onto a really 3rd-world looking econobox. I don't get what mercedes is doing... minivans, econoboxes... have they adopted the pre-war GM slogan of ' A Car for Every Purse and Purpose'??

Yes, there is a second gen A-class out in Europe...3dr or 5dr. I think that ' A Car for Every Purse and Purpose' is definitely M-B's vision...they have possibly the widest range of vehicles under one brand in the world---cargo vans, airport shuttles, buses, coaches, heavy trucks, small cars, luxury cars, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Very true. So then why did they acquire Chrysler? Use its money for their own gains? A mere excercise in dick wagging? Mercedes technically had no use for them.

Anyway, the current B was a discussion of importation at one point, much the ever on again, off again smart brand.

I like it and Canada has it.

Why not? Mercedes seems to have it, "Why ever have anything else but a Mercedes-Benz?"

I rode in a B-class taxi and thought it was nice... it seemed to have the quality and engineering of an expensive car, but without the bulk or bling. It's good for people who live in a crowded city and don't want an econobox. The diesel was extremely quiet and smooth.

We have these running around up in our parts, and I hate each and every one of them. They don't look that good, the quality is craptastic Mercedes, and you pay through the nose for that badge. All the ones I see in my area, (and I see a lot), have the cloth interior, and few luxuries. That's not a Mercedes... that's an overpriced econo-box.

For $29,900 base (Canadian), you can get a Mazda 5 with leather and other options for just over 25K.

• 2 months later...

The B-Class is a good looking car (the next one probably will be too), but I don't think Mercedes should water itself down any further in the US.

The only people who think Mercedes is a quality car are people who never owned one. Recently, the LA Times wrote a decent review of the new C-class but half the article was devoted to trashing Mercedes on its dismal quality.

I think MB needs to find a new customer base. A B-class is just what the doctor ordered.

I think I read that Mercedes is thinking about expanding the future B-Class lineup to possibly include a coupe, convertible, and three-door hatchback as well as the current 5-door hatchback configuration (I believe it was Leftlane News; I can't find the blasted article). I think a coupe and convertible would sell better here in the U.S. as entry level vehicles to the Mercedes brand. I think they should offer all 4 possible variants to give customers a choice.

The only disturbing item in the article is that they plan to move production to a developing country to keep costs down. I hope they watch quality control closely if they plan to do this. This would be a new segment for Mercedes in the U.S.; they will fail miserably if they offer a nonreliable, low qualilty vehicle in this segment.

The only disturbing item in the article is that they plan to move production to a developing country to keep costs down. I hope they watch quality control closely if they plan to do this. This would be a new segment for Mercedes in the U.S.; they will fail miserably if they offer a nonreliable, low qualilty vehicle in this segment.

Have you seen how high the Euro is?

Have you seen how high the Euro is?

I understand the financial reasons for relocating production to a developing company. Mercedes will not generate a profit on this car if it doesn't do this. I just hope they monitor quality closely so the car doesn't bomb in the market due to reliability issues.