Redundancies

On a radio show last week, a discussion ensued about redundancies in the English language, particularly how they are used every day ... and can be, to some, annoying.

A few that have never made sense to me why people use/say them include:

"PIN Number" ... as in Personal Identification Number Number

"ATM Machine" ... as in Automatic Teller Machine Machine

"Hot water heater" ... so, you heat hot water?

What are some you notice?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Only you can do what must be done" ... John Parr ... 'St Elmo's Fire'

Hmmm...how about these aspects:

"The first ever...."

(or ... one of my "favorites"...news people signing off, particularly when we are watching them standing where they say they are)

"Here at Soldier Field here in Chicago"

No, really? Looked like you were in Lake Michigan, to me....

*rolls eyes*

"Don't tell me that it can't be done" ... Lorrie Morgan ... 'Watch Me'

With computers, I always used to correct people when they would type "NIC Card". I would return with "What's a Network Interface Card Card?"

How about when someone calls you at home, you pick up the phone, say "hello" and the person on the other end asks, "You're home?"

I don't know if this counts, but it pissed me off royally:

My parents called me from their cell phone from their house to ask me to call and test their land line.

How about when someone calls you at home, you pick up the phone, say "hello" and the person on the other end asks, "You're home?"

Ya know ... the funny thing about this particular reaction is that I've only noticed it in the last few years. Never really heard it when I was younger.

I wonder if it has something to do with the "cell phone mentality" ... being that people call ... almost expecting to have to leave a message, so when someone answers the phone ... it is a bit of a surprise/shock?

*shrugs*

Maybe not ... I dunno....

My parents called me from their cell phone from their house to ask me to call and test their land line.

LOL! My parents did that ... and my sis and her hubby did that recently, too.....

"The more things change the more they stay the same" ... Kenny Chesney ... 'Summertime'

My parents have done that too...though I thought it was funny for some odd reason....

I did the first time... but it wasn't funny when they did it again for the third time in a 3-week period (Verizon lately hasn't really liked their house--their landline has had almost as many problems as our 82 Malibu Classic did).

IN my line of work: " VIN NUMBER"

(VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER number)

Edited by Sixty8panther

I did the first time... but it wasn't funny when they did it again for the third time in a 3-week period

My goodness..... What all problems did they have?

"Nowadays you can't be too sentimental" ... Billy Joel ... 'It's Still Rock And Roll To Me'

Would picking up a mobile, calling someone, and then asking him/her if he/she was awake classify as a redundancy, or just a stupid question? :lol:

Hmmm...perhaps a bit of both ;).

"Someday slowly turns to never" ... Tanya Tucker ... 'Soon'

Interesting...I always thought it was "Catera Touring Sedan"

Me too... sad to say Even Cadillac does not know what to decide about the

Alphanumerics. Next time you're at a carshow ask about the EXT/DTS/STS.

Welcome to the dam tour. Do not deviate from the dam tour. Those who deviate from the dam tour will be kicked off the dam property. Please save all your dam questions until the dam tour is completed. The leaking of the dam walls is normal. Do not panic about the dam water.

Guest YellowJacket894

Welcome to the dam tour. Do not deviate from the dam tour. Those who deviate from the dam tour will be kicked off the dam property. Please save all your dam questions until the dam tour is completed. The leaking of the dam walls is normal. Do not panic about the dam water.

Now this ... this made me just lawl all over the place. :rotflmao:

This type of redundancy drives me INSANE! I fricken hate it!

A quote from my daughter Savannah,

"Like, my best friend Kayla told her, like, mother, like to go stick it when she, like, said that we can't stay over tonight. I, like, told her that was totally disrespectful, like yeah Daddy what do you think?"

Me (head is spinning)

You're english teacher needs to be fired because you say like way too much in one statement.

I don't know where she got this. She's turning into my very own valley girl. HELP!