Cory Wolfe

So...

127 posts in this topic

...I'm home alone and board. So here's some pics of some random car search I did...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The car looked a lot better in person, with the revised chrome trimmings as in the first pic. It also looks a little lower in that pic...check out the wheel well gap. I remember Lutz saying that this car could be done for around 20K if they did it. I'd buy it.

In addition to the convertible, we need a coupe, sedan, wagon, and El Camino. There's your full-size Chevrolet lineup, plain as day.

This is the kind of retro I DON'T like. :(

WTF... take a gorgeous 1957 Chevy and water it down to the point where it looks more like a Sebring then a Chevy, then raise the grille 24" and voila! If the designer of the Toyota Camry was asked to do a modern version of the Tri-5 cars I think it might actually bne better.

Look closely where the grille is on this car!

Now go back to the drawing board and get to work on something that actually has tail fins, otherwise don't bother. <_<

Posted Image

This is the kind of retro I DON'T like. :(

WTF... take a gorgeous 1957 Chevy and water it down to the point where it looks more like a Sebring then a Chevy, then raise the grille 24" and voila! If the designer of the Toyota Camry was asked to do a modern version of the Tri-5 cars I think it might actually bne better.

[post="25647"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm with you on the exterior. It gives me a bad 2002 Thunderbird vibe.

Tail fins are overrated. :D Edited by blackviper8891

Tail fins are overrated.

[post="25654"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not in the 50's and 60's, which is where some of our members seem to be living.
The past=the past, not now.

Time to compare...

We offer Ford's entry:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And now, the Dodge entry:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now if only the BMWs, Toyotas, Hondas, and Renaults of the world wanted to make 50s concepts....

Thanks for reminding me how lousy the Dodge Super 8 Motel concept looked.

That Ford is nice, though I still love that Bel Air!

I fully admit the Forty Nine puts the Bel Air to shame. I agree the front end is not the most attractive on the Chevy, but I like the sides, rear, interior, and the fact that it's RWD. Since it was supposedly built on the GMT360 platform, it should be a simple, tough car, and relatively cheap to manufacture. With the inline 5 as a base engine and with the proper gearing, it should be economical to run. Of course, it would need an LS V8 with DOD as top engine offering.

It may be an old idea, body-on-frame with an inline engine, but it seems to me it has been fully updated and could still be viable, perhaps even preferable, for Americans at large and for rugged service applications.

Side note: I recently read somewhere that one of the leading proposals for a fullsize Chevy RWD sedan takes some styling cues from the 1966 Impala... a handsome car, imo.
Edited by ocnblu

Of those three... Best exterior: Ford 49 Best interior: Chevy Bel Air The Dodge is just disgusting... Ugh.

Wow is dodge capable of producing anything sleek looking? Honestly, the sleekest looking car they have is the Viper. Other than that, everything is blocky and very square. Also, that ford is so sexy. It looks very clean.

Perhaps if the Thunderbird had sold better we would have seen the Forty Nine on a dealership lot. Thunderbird's performance also may have indirectly nixed something like the Bel Air from Chevy.

That Ford looks very, very sexy, inside and out. The Dodge on the other hand, looks hideous.

The Forty-Nine is definetly the best of the 3, but none of them really do much for me.

Wow is dodge capable of producing anything sleek looking?

Posted Image

Bel Air: I tend to agree with Sixty8 here: it's has some nice body lines but the details come off as watered down. Overall it does not stir me.

Forty-Nine: One gorgeous car! I would buy this baby in a heartbeat, and I know I have never uttered that statement on these boards in regards to any modern vehicle. Beautiful body envelope, clean classic & strong detailing, A+ stance & slick rims. Interior is great too: fresh & simple. Why can't mercedes or bmw craft something this inspiring & drop-dead gorgeous? More importantly- why can't Ford build this (as a Lincoln even)?? The Most Beautiful Ford Ever in my book.

Super 8: Tho the wrap windshield gets me all gooshy, the bulk of the exterior is brutish & crude without being cool. I want to like but... there's no way. Interior does have some interesting, funky elements tho- worth saving.

Thanks for reminding me how lousy the Dodge Super 8 Motel concept looked.

[post="25723"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think it's got the best interior of the three....exteriorwise, I'll take the Ford. The Chevy simply looks the closest to production.

I do like the dogleg windshield and the pushbutton gear selector (like an old TorqueFlite) on the Dodge. I also like the general upright shape because it makes for a roomy cabin.

Bel Air: I tend to agree with Sixty8 here: it's has some nice body lines but the details come off as watered down. Overall it does not stir me.

Forty-Nine: One gorgeous car! I would buy this baby in a heartbeat, and I know I have never uttered that statement on these boards in regards to any modern vehicle. Beautiful body envelope, clean classic & strong detailing, A+ stance & slick rims. Interior is great too: fresh & simple. Why can't mercedes or bmw craft something this inspiring & drop-dead gorgeous? More importantly- why can't Ford build this (as a Lincoln even)?? The Most Beautiful Ford Ever in my book.

Super 8: Tho the wrap windshield gets me all gooshy, the bulk of the exterior is brutish & crude without being cool. I want to like but... there's no way. Interior does have some interesting, funky elements tho- worth saving.

[post="25755"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agre with you 100% here Balthazar. One quick addition.

Super 8:

Idea on paper: A+ (c'mon a hardtop with suicide doors :wub:)

Excecution: D- ugly and cheap looking like a Plastic toy. Edited by Sixty8panther

I find it funny that Croc has chosen to make fun of Sixty8's sig (with a flawed example in the SSR). Croc drives an M-class. The Mercedes CLK is (as far as I know) the only pillarless hardtop coupe with retractable quarter windows left on the market.

I wish the G6 coupe had retractable quarter windows, it would look so cool cruising around with all four windows down.