Cars with More than 400,000 Miles

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that the existence of cars with more than 300'000 Miles (esp. American Ones) should be documented to prove their existence... Have you personally come across any or seen any in your perusals of the internet??

I just found these today:

1996 Saab 900 with 1.4 Million KM

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detaili...gno=2&srt=1

2003 Saturn ION with almost 770K Km

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detaili...gno=1&srt=1

2003 Chevrolet Malibu w. 800K Km

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detaili...gno=1&srt=1

Have any of you come in contact with cars that have this kind of mileage?

One time at the Chevy dealer I used to work at (Chevrolet of Lowell)

we had a customer come in with a gold Cavalier sedan, it was a 1985

IIRC and it had just over 1/4 of a million miles!

2.2 I4/auto. All original. It had the type of rust in the rear wheel wells

that occurs in most Hondas at 80-100K miles.

Oh.... and back in 2003 I almost bought a 1994 Cadillac STS

(white diamond) with 288K miles. Earlier this year I came

close to buying a rusty & beat up 1983 Mercedes Benz 240D,

4-cylinder diesel, 4-speed manual trans. with just over 1/4

million miles but for a MB diesel of that vintage that's actually

relatively LOW milage.

SP's friend Polish Rob has a 1994? Blazer K5 that looks to be

in perfect cosmetic shape and is in great mechanical condition

except for the broken sway bar, it has well over 330K miles.

A co-worker has put over 600K miles collectivelly on his two

Astro vans, one he sold at 330K still running & drivng and

the otehr got totalled at 270+ by a drunk driver.

Julie's friend Kelly had a Beretta (2.8 V6/5-speed) that went

over 300K miles before she sold it to some college kid.

Aaaaaaaaaand cue Dodgefan and his Shaddow story: :spin:

A guy I knew in high school drove a 1984 Olds Delta 88 sedan with ~650,000 miles (1,048,000 km).

The E-350 I drove for work had 390,000 miles (629,000 km) on it when I drove it a couple years ago...it's probably added another 30,000 since then.

Edited by mustang84

Oh.... and back in 2003 I almost bought a 1994 Cadillac STS

(white diamond) with 288K miles. Earlier this year I came

close to buying a rusty & beat up 1983 Mercedes Benz 240D,

4-cylinder diesel, 4-speed manual trans. with just over 1/4

million miles but for a MB diesel of that vintage that's actually

relatively LOW milage.

SP's friend Polish Rob has a 1994? Blazer K5 that looks to be

in perfect cosmetic shape and is in great mechanical condition

except for the broken sway bar, it has well over 330K miles.

A co-worker has put over 600K miles collectivelly on his two

Astro vans, one he sold at 330K still running & drivng and

the otehr got totalled at 270+ by a drunk driver.

Julie's friend Kelly had a Beretta (2.8 V6/5-speed) that went

over 300K miles before she sold it to some college kid.

Aaaaaaaaaand cue Dodgefan and his Shadow story: :spin:

:lol: Well it only has 212,630 on it...but damnit all that sucker is gonna make it to 300k if I have anything to do with it. It's original right down to the factory exhaust and catalytic converter (which will need to finally be replaced so it can pass emissions). :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Dodgefan

Roach I had 390,000 VERY hard miles on it. Original trans, engine and rear end. The car ran like a champ. Go to your local cab company and you will find as many high mileage American made cars as you desire.

The company we bought Roach I from averaged 400,000 to 500,000 miles out of their GM products before they sold them. They have since switched to the newer (1999 to 2005) Impalas due to bad luck with the Crown Vics.

One time at the Chevy dealer I used to work at (Chevrolet of Lowell)

we had a customer come in with a gold Cavalier sedan, it was a 1985

IIRC and it had just over 1/4 of a million miles!

2.2 I4/auto. All original. It had the type of rust in the rear wheel wells

that occurs in most Hondas at 80-100K miles.

Must have been the 2.0 I4. I'm pretty sure the 2.2 didn't show up in a Cav until 88 or 89....when the combo was 2.2/3.1 instead of the 2.0/2.8....Pretty sure of that.... :AH-HA_wink:

My 2.0 in my first cav was almost at 125k before she got rear ended. Purred like a kitten, didn't even burn oil...

My 3.1 just passed 140k, I'm hoping for 175k (only beacuse I think the rust will get it first)

Mustang84: I see you corrected your Miles/KM discrepancy. :P

Daves87: Yes indeed, 2.0 is right, I was merely trying to say that it was NOT the beefier 2.8 liter V6.

There have been other higher mileage vehicles that I've owned.

A 1987 Buick Century that we gave to a friend that had over 200,000 miles (320,000 km) before his son totalled it.

A 1977 Volvo 244 DL (back when Volvo's where worth something) with over 325,000 miles (520,000 km) when we sold it. The guy who bought it from us got approx 400,000 miles (640,000 km) out of it before the engine seized up.

A 1982 Volvo 242 Turbo with approx 245,000 miles (390,000 km). It had electrical problems, but the body, engine and trans where in good shape when we sold it.

Roach II has over 200,000 miles (320,000) when our boy finally sold it.

A 1985 Volvo 765 Turbo that we drove from 112,000 miles to 220,000 miles (350,000 km) before my wife totalled it. Besides eating mufflers and needing a turbo, the car was very reliable. Out of the 40 cars I've owned, this one is still in the top 5 favorites.

The only newer Volvo (1994 855 Turbo) to be in our family had a hard time getting to 100k. Since they copied toyota on engine design, they just don't last like they used too.

My Dad sold his 71 Mercury Monterey to my brother-in-law with 30K miles on it.

My brother-in-law drove it to 325K miles before he got rid of it. The engine (351 I think) was still going great, but the compression was less than it should be. He did put lots of brakes and exhaust systems on it, also ball joints.

It was a great car, for a Ford.

My 1983 Cavalier had a little over 400,000 miles when my dad sold it, we bought it new and it was handed down from my parents, to my sisters, and then to me. It had the original engine/trans, the front end needed to be worked on after I jumped it too many times...(I was in high school c'mon)whoops!! The people that we sold it to came back three weeks later. My dad saw them pulling up the driveway and freaked out thinking they had some sort of problem. The guy and his wife just wanted to tell my dad that this was best car they ever bought...wow who knew!!

The only newer Volvo (1994 855 Turbo) to be in our family had a hard time getting to 100k. Since they copied toyota on engine design, they just don't last like they used too.

Yup... there's a Volvo T5 in our servise dept. RIGHT now

with 20 snapped valvestems due to a ripped timing BELT.

One of the valvestems is MELTED into the top of the piston. <_<

This will be the 4,832,675th time I say this:

Why the F*** would you use a rubber band

where a METAL timing chain should be!?!?

Yup... there's a Volvo T5 in our servise dept. RIGHT now

with 20 snapped valvestems due to a ripped timing BELT.

One of the valvestems is MELTED into the top of the piston. <_<

This will be the 4,832,675th time I say this:

Why the F*** would you use a rubber band

where a METAL timing chain should be!?!?

My aunt had trouble with the timing belt on her '98 V70XC. Seems like a common problem.

My 1983 Cavalier had a little over 400,000 miles when my dad sold it, we bought it new and it was handed down from my parents, to my sisters, and then to me. It had the original engine/trans, the front end needed to be worked on after I jumped it too many times...(I was in high school c'mon)whoops!! The people that we sold it to came back three weeks later. My dad saw them pulling up the driveway and freaked out thinking they had some sort of problem. The guy and his wife just wanted to tell my dad that this was best car they ever bought...wow who knew!!

Wow!

Surely an aurora has rolled more miles than that. I've seen tons of cars make it to 300,000 and a bunch make it to 400,000.

I've seen a dodge van make it to 600,000 a Chevy Blazer (s-10 4wd) make it to 600,000 plus, a ford Truck make it to 785,000, another ford truck make it a Million...all without rebuilds.

I am a construction worker and we usually buy older beat up cars to drive to work because we park them on jobsites.

GM products with 300k plus are as common as teenaged girls at shopping malls.

Chris

• 12 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...