Unveiled: Mitsubishi Galant Fortis

Posted Image

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=122308#2

TOKYO — Mitsubishi Motors has introduced the oddly named Galant Fortis sedan in the home market. Americans will see the same car shortly as a replacement for the Lancer compact.

But what I don't get is...why would we see it "shortly as a replacement for teh Lancer" when not only was the Lancer just redesigned, but it's the same damn car?

I'm so confused... so they're going to have a compact named the Galant Fortis, and a midsize named the Galant? Yeah, good to see GM isn't the only one with naming issues.

Mitsubuishi is somewhere between Lada & Kia styling wise these days. :rolleyes:

No, this is the Lancer already on sale in the US, but now in RHD. Otherwise it is exactly the same, as Dodgefan says. Since this car is actually cheaper than the old JDM Lancer, I don't know why they decided to call it a Galant in Japan, when even the old Japanese Galant was a larger, more expensive sedan—maybe because the CY Lancer is no longer in the Japanese small car class (too wide). The EVO will still be called a Lancer even in Japan.

I still don't get why they say it will be replacing the Lancer in the US...the Lancer was, liek I said, just redesigned and these cars are one and teh same...maybe they are pulling a renaming trick from the Ford book of play? Or maybe edmunds got their wording confused.

I still don't get why they say it will be replacing the Lancer in the US...the Lancer was, liek I said, just redesigned and these cars are one and teh same...maybe they are pulling a renaming trick from the Ford book of play? Or maybe edmunds got their wording confused.

I presume they mean it will be called "Galant Fortis" in Japan, while "Lancer" in the US.

I don't understand why they are not calling this "Lancer" in Japan. Talk about product confusion.

I do like the grill and fog light treatment on this model. I hope a non-Evo version of our Lancer gets this treatment. It looks sharp and upscale. It adds a premium appearance to an already sharp looking sedan.

• 2 weeks later...

There's angry chipmunks everywhere.

These cars are so hideously disproportioned.

They look very goofy in real life, our Mitsu

dealer is pushing them like hotcakes & they

are selling pretty well I guess, which only

proves how crappy a Japanese car can be &

still sell despite a better American product.

• 4 months later...