Full Test: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe

Extreme Makeover: The 200-mph Edition

Posted Image

The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 certainly ups the ante in the brute strength quotient, but it's anything but awkward. Even the most ham-fisted hero drivers among us can now wield it. Prepare to trade in your 2006 edition. It's the best negative $945 you'll ever spend.

• 600-hp 8.4-liter V10
  • 6-speed manual transmission
  • Michelin Pilot Sport Cup PS2 tires
  • 4-piston brake calipers
  • 0-60 in 3.7 seconds
  • Quarter-mile disappears in 11.8 seconds at 125.3 mph
  • As tested .99 G on skipad (claimed 1.05 G's)
  • 13/22 mpg
  • Improved ride and handling
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...otopanel..1.*#2

11.8 in the 1/4 mile? This thing will still get smoked by the Z06

Great final summation with all the facts in.

LOL

The Mustang guys post on their forums that a Corvette Z06 is a high 12 second car. The Mustang can either "run with it", or "beat it".

My view is a little different than what theirs is...

:AH-HA_wink:

The Viper has ran 11.77 in the OLD version, 100hp less, more weight, etc... Don't make a final judgement based on one post on the internet.

LOL

2004 Viper- ACTUALLY tested... with 100 LESS horsepower

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...pecs_price.html

Same old one-trick pony... not that there's anything wrong with that.

I love the Viper but I will never buy one, no matter how loaded I might be.

11.8 in the 1/4 mile? This thing will still get smoked by the Z06

Here- same magazine, same road test procedures for the Corvette Z06...

Putting this 'Vette through our test regimen confirmed this impression with a 0-to-60 time of 4.5 seconds and a quarter-mile dash of 12.2 seconds at 120.2 mph

From Edmunds Corvette Z06 full road test (as the Viper quote above was)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=107906

BOTH cars have great performance.

If Edmunds can get a 3.7 0-60 and run the quarter in 11.7 at over 125mph, this car is very very fast and will likely run at least very low 11's in the real world. As already stated in a previous post, Edmunds was able to get the Z06 to run around a 12.2 at 120mph, so they are usually one of the slowest mags out there. I can't believe someone would say that this car is a one trick pony, when it will accellerate, stop, corner, and run flat out with the best of them. This is a major update, as the Viper now has nearly 100 more hp and yet fuel mileage has increased substantially to 13/22 with the more stringent 2008 standards. The Viper and Z06 are both great cars that spank other supercars costing much more.

If Edmunds can get a 3.7 0-60 and run the quarter in 11.7 at over 125mph, this car is very very fast and will likely run at least very low 11's in the real world. As already stated in a previous post, Edmunds was able to get the Z06 to run around a 12.2 at 120mph, so they are usually one of the slowest mags out there. I can't believe someone would say that this car is a one trick pony, when it will accellerate, stop, corner, and run flat out with the best of them. This is a major update, as the Viper now has nearly 100 more hp and yet fuel mileage has increased substantially to 13/22 with the more stringent 2008 standards. The Viper and Z06 are both great cars that spank other supercars costing much more.

Couldn't agree more wnorman1192.

Howdy!

:wavey:

Too many guys blinded by brands from time to time IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

C&D did the 1/4 mile in 12.4 with the new 6.3L Corvette, which wasn't the Z06. The Viper will only be faster for a little while. It wont stand a chance against the Blue Devil, since it will be under 3000lbs with 650+hp.

But the Blue Devil will cost more. It's all about how much you're willing to pay. Performance isn't cheap.

Car and Driver banged the Viper in

0-60 3.4s and

1/4 mile 11.3s

That is helluva fast machine.

It outsped the Z06 by 1 sec at the VIR, where car and driver does its speed test for the performance machines, but the Z06 still won the comparo. :thumbsup:

If the Z06 had Michelin Pilot Sport Cups it would be faster than the Viper, I think. The stock tries are crap and Pilot Sport Cups are probably the best street-legal tire that one can buy. When C&D did the hot lap comparo the GT3 had PSCs and they said the difference in the Z06 if it had them would be enormous.

I'm not a fan of how the Viper sounds. Well, at least the previous version. I was at a car show last Saturday, and there was a ~2000 Viper coupe, and he was revving the engine. Before I actually saw what car it was, I thought it was Honda. I don't know if it was just from what the owner did to the car or what, but it sound horrible. The 5.7L Hemis sound alot better.

If the Z06 had Michelin Pilot Sport Cups it would be faster than the Viper, I think. The stock tries are crap and Pilot Sport Cups are probably the best street-legal tire that one can buy. When C&D did the hot lap comparo the GT3 had PSCs and they said the difference in the Z06 if it had them would be enormous.

I agree. The Good Years are long nail in the tooth. Even my 2003 Z06 feels sluggish around the corners on them. But they frikkin' last. If you do not whore them out the F1's may go for about 20,000 miles before changing them.

PSC are amazing. They not only look nice, but they are a lot stickier because of their softer rubber compound. Of course they cost more than the F1. You get what you pay for.

The Z06 can easily shave off another 2 seconds off the VIR if they are equipped with PSC.

• 4 weeks later...

4.1 to 60 and a 12 second 1/4 mile??? Most Z06's are faster than that.

The Viper is faster too I believe, but I think we've all established that edmunds times seem to be slower than other testers like Car and Driver.

I'm glad to see it won a test, and I agree that it deserves to. yes the the Z06 is easier to live with every day, but for pure performance, the Viper is king for now. I love the Viper...it does what it's designed to brilliantly. it's not subtle but it's very effective. The car's shape is unmistakable, and like they said, there's no watered down version. It makes no apologies for what it is...there aren't enough cars like that today.

Edited by Dodgefan