One final questions for the night

Camino LS6

What I really think would make a greater difference for GM are TV-spots that are do more than just describe lease examples.

But in terms of vehicles, I'd go with the '08 Malibu (the Astra and Lambdas tie for a really close 2nd).

Epsilon II. Zetas already hold appeal to enthusiasts and the Asians have no comparable vehicles and likely won't for quite some time. But the EpIIs go after the juggular of the market. LaX, NG Malibu, AURA...if these are executed as well as the Lambdas were and incorporating running innovations from here until debut...oh boy...

I actually think the Lambdas do, if anything they are attractive enough to bring buyers into showrooms. Once that happens and the consumer see's the build quality and execution in these vehicles I really think they would get the to seriously consider buying a GM. Next is probably going to to be the ( hopefully). As far as Ford and Chrysler, better interiors, better overal quality and styling. Styling has seen a rebirth at GM, while Ford and Chrysler has been a hit and usually miss as of late.

The Volt.

The rest of the change comes from the new product on the way and the new stuff out..it won't be one vehicle that turns the tide but it will be a combined effort in different segments with segment leaders not followers.

The other is good advertising...get a new agency GM.

Edited by Dodgefan

For GM:

That's easy... Volt.

For Ford:

I think the next Mustang could really set the tone for the corporation, however I think their best shots are either the Flex or better yet Fusion gen II.

For Chrysler:

That's a hard one...

The new minivans COULD do it if they were marketed right; but I think it's actually going to take a VOLUME hit like an Avenger style car, except not done on the cheap.

FOG, I agree partly about the next Mustang, but I think there should be a family of cars based off that artchitecture, most notably a large rear wheel drive sedan. That could set a nice tone, but by the time it gets here the Volt will be hogging all the news and hype.

FOG, I agree partly about the next Mustang, but I think there should be a family of cars based off that artchitecture, most notably a large rear wheel drive sedan. That could set a nice tone, but by the time it gets here the Volt will be hogging all the news and hype.

I agree... Mustang alone is not universal enough in appeal to turn the most hardcore anti-Detroit people around. The best approach would be a 1+2 punch. Ford can appeal to the emotions of buyers through the new Mustang and let it set the tone for the corporation (Much like the iPod did for Apple) and then immediately after (as in 6 months to a year) bring out the 2nd gen Fusion (or a more universal car based on the Mustang architecture) that has a little less sex appeal but maybe a bit more substance, to spread the brand DNA across the entire market.

The Mustang is sexy, but not everyone needs or wants what it has to offer (2 doors, performance and limited space) If these two rollouts go well then Ford could round out the scenario on the utility and substance side by expanding the Fusions traits into wagons, crossovers, minivans etc. (This is where the next Flex can come in-- even if it is a refresh) Then if all goes well you'll have Ford established as a cohesive brand the largest segments in the industry; mid size cars, crossovers, wagons. And the most fickle segments; sports coupes & minivans.

But all of this has to be within 6 months to a year of one another in order to "make a splash" and hold the attention of the consumer (An increasingly hard thing to do)

Ford will not be able to one-up GM on the Volt. However; they can think outside of the box and one-up them on the plug in market as a whole if they were to bring something like the Air Stream to market (Not the looks-- the concept) GM has a small car plug n to hype, so why shouldn't Ford try to beat them (and everyone else) to the first plug in crossover or SUV? That could single handedly recover the SUV market and give Ford a HUGE presence again or at the very least it could give them green credentials; maybe more so than GM.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

zeta.

It's interesting to read your answers "The Volt".

My friends who own a 2004 Prius and a 2005 Corolla LE, are selling the Corolla the second they can get their hands on a Volt.

Mind you, their family (4 older brothers his side, 2 younger siblings her side), has not owned an American vehicle since the father owned a Grand Marquis in the 80's. Since then, it's been Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW.

The second they read about the Volt, they were on the band wagon.

It's interesting to read your answers "The Volt".

My friends who own a 2004 Prius and a 2005 Corolla LE, are selling the Corolla the second they can get their hands on a Volt.

Mind you, their family (4 older brothers his side, 2 younger siblings her side), has not owned an American vehicle since the father owned a Grand Marquis in the 80's. Since then, it's been Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW.

The second they read about the Volt, they were on the band wagon.

And that is exactly the reason why the Volt is so important to changing perceptions.

Paolino, I'm glad you brought that up because I have mentioned the Volt to a few people who are "eco-minded" and they have done research into it and are already anticipating the arrival of that car.

Prediction: The Volt will be the Car of the 21st century!

And that is exactly the reason why the Volt is so important to changing perceptions.

Here's the catch... the car has to be reliable and of high quality to make them maintain their new perception "GM is great."

A lot of my friends still think of GM as "another low-quality domestic". Unfortunately, they look at my car, very old GM product, and don't see how wonderful the new things are. I'm sure if I rolled up in a new LaCrosse or Lucerne, they'd love being passengers. Hey, they used to enjoy the ride when I borrowed mom's 92 LeSabre Limited years ago.

Here's the catch... the car has to be reliable and of high quality to make them maintain their new perception "GM is great."

Of course it does, and GM knows it. Also, the other GM cars have to be just as great in quality for the full effect of the Volt to be felt. Fortunately, it seems that they will. The timing of this car could be just about perfect.

A lot of my friends still think of GM as "another low-quality domestic". Unfortunately, they look at my car, very old GM product, and don't see how wonderful the new things are. I'm sure if I rolled up in a new LaCrosse or Lucerne, they'd love being passengers. Hey, they used to enjoy the ride when I borrowed mom's 92 LeSabre Limited years ago.

It's time for a new GM, my friend. :AH-HA_wink:

It's time for a new GM, my friend. :AH-HA_wink:

Don't I know it. I'm so conflicted... I have 3 options really:

1) Lease new Cobalt in January (get a raise in January, will be able to swing it)

2) Purchase newer car, like 2003/04 Park Avenue, LeSabre, Regal

3) Wait until August of next year and finance a 2008 LaCrosse CX (which is really the way I'd like to go)

But enough about what I want... I've been trying very hard to change the perception of my friends. Every recall I'm out there with my hands wavin' in the air! LOL

My father, almost always a GM man, has recently noted that Buick is up there with Lexus in quality, and he's mentioned it on a few occasions. I think he'd love a Lucerne--he says it's the only car he'd ever buy in black (hates that black dirties so easily).