Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northstar

Want to know when you can purchase a new CTS-V?

42 posts in this topic

Expect them to be on lots in late September of next year. Also, I'm sure many will be happy to know, the transmission is not a Tremec, but rather something that at least the magazines would like better. :AH-HA_wink:

Finally, final drive ratio is a bit taller than the old T56.

I hope it remains MANUAL only.

The V-series cars should ALL have three pedals.

I've already heard that there will be a paddle shift manumatic as an option. So what? Most AMG's are auto. It's not like there will ONLY be auto and no choice for a manual. It caters to a broader customer base

I've already heard that there will be a paddle shift manumatic as an option. So what? Most AMG's are auto. It's not like there will ONLY be auto and no choice for a manual. It caters to a broader customer base

excellent news. only having a manual is dumb!

That is why AMG will never get hardcore enthusiasts, but me-too mentality people buying their cars to show off. Remember, BMW put 6-speed tranny as an after thought after customers denied buying the 7-speed SMG.

Expect them to be on lots in late September of next year. Also, I'm sure many will be happy to know, the transmission is not a Tremec, but rather something that at least the magazines would like better.

Getrag manual? Dual clutch transmission like VW's DSG?

I wouldn't mind seeing a conventional automatic transmission in there as an option as well.

Edited by ZL-1

That is why AMG will never get hardcore enthusiasts, but me-too mentality people buying their cars to show off. Remember, BMW put 6-speed tranny as an after thought after customers denied buying the 7-speed SMG.

The mismatched six-speed manual is only for North Americans who think a "stick" is "sporty" and "cool." The Germans, who see Grandma Schmitzes in manual Golf diesels all the time, are probably scratching their heads.

An automatic for the CTS-V is fine. It's not a hardcore race car, but an insanely-fast sports sedan.

The mismatched six-speed manual is only for North Americans who think a "stick" is "sporty" and "cool." The Germans, who see Grandma Schmitzes in manual Golf diesels all the time, are probably scratching their heads.

An automatic for the CTS-V is fine. It's not a hardcore race car, but an insanely-fast sports sedan.

A stick doesn't make my Crapalier any sportier or cooler, just a helluva lot better to drive. Automatics suck. SMGs, despite how advanced and manual-like (like being the operative word here) they may be are still no substitute for a good ol' fashioned gated manual shifter in my book.

well having a auto wouldn't hurt. i like maul but i think the way they make the rearend in these cars are weak. how many rear end they replace in the ctsv auto will make the rear last long. gm give you all this power and cheap out on the rearends.]

People who want to show off ARE the market for V, M, and AMG cars for the most part. An auto is a good thing as long as the manual also is available. The "hardcore enthusiasts" are buying Boxsters, Corvettes, 911s etc.

Rowing my car no longer appeals to me. I'd prefer a semi-automatic. Of course, by offering a choice GM gets to keep both factions happy, not just those willing to row their car home through traffic on a daily basis.

Rowing my car no longer appeals to me. I'd prefer a semi-automatic. Of course, by offering a choice GM gets to keep both factions happy, not just those willing to row their car home through traffic on a daily basis.

Same here... I love a manual for a weekend toy for driving on twisty backroads, but in the Real World <tm> of the daily commute, with traffic lights, congested freeways, etc. I prefer an automatic.

They should do manual and automatic then no buyer's preference is left out. I'd like to see something between the 300 hp engine and the 500 hp engine also. I hope the CTS-V doesn't get even heavier than the 4000 lbs the car already weighs. The STS-V gained 200 pounds over the V8 STS. GM should focus more on weight reduction to get performance, rather than just enlarging an pushrod V8 and getting more power. Speaking of which, no Cadillac car should ever have a pushrod engine, but I know the CTS-V will get one and we'll hear about how it was cost effective.

They should do manual and automatic then no buyer's preference is left out. I'd like to see something between the 300 hp engine and the 500 hp engine also. I hope the CTS-V doesn't get even heavier than the 4000 lbs the car already weighs. The STS-V gained 200 pounds over the V8 STS. GM should focus more on weight reduction to get performance, rather than just enlarging an pushrod V8 and getting more power. Speaking of which, no Cadillac car should ever have a pushrod engine, but I know the CTS-V will get one and we'll hear about how it was cost effective.

That is an absurd position to take. :rolleyes:

That is an absurd position to take. :rolleyes:

No, its not. Cadillac should "surpass and become the benchmark" by using the same kind of powertrains their competion uses, regardless of their capabilities or performance. Makes sense.

Getrag manual? Dual clutch transmission like VW's DSG?

I wouldn't mind seeing a conventional automatic transmission in there as an option as well.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

I remember the days (actually, just two years ago) when GM advertised how the Sunfire had a Getrag 5-speed, "the same company who does Porsches!"

I remember the days (actually, just two years ago) when GM advertised how the Sunfire had a Getrag 5-speed, "the same company who does Porsches!"

So shifting gears in my Crapalier is much like shifting gears in a Porsche?

I agree that Cadillac should reduce the weight of their vehicles through advanced materials, but they should also give more power with each generation and increased high technology.

That being said, I love that the V comes with a big pushrod engine. I like brute power in my performance sedan, I don't know about anyone else.

Do I get a cookie? :lol:

Did I win with the Getrag or with the DSG guess?

Edited by ZL-1

I agree that Cadillac should reduce the weight of their vehicles through advanced materials, but they should also give more power with each generation and increased high technology.

That being said, I love that the V comes with a big pushrod engine. I like brute power in my performance sedan, I don't know about anyone else.

:yes:

Pushrod engines have a number of advantages and no one does them better than GM. Witness the Zo6.

I never can accept the comment of Pushrod being antiquated.

It is just a different way to produce power and get fuel economy.

With DI pushrods just got an elixir. With the amount of technology gone in the pushrod LS7, that will put the AMG63 in shame. Who cares if the displacement is more for the same amount of power. Can any of the cars wearing the AMG63 with their better 7-speed give better fuel economy than the Corvette? Heck they are not even close to getting the gas-guzzler tax off their asses.

And if you compare the weight. That BMW 4.0l V-8 seen in the M3 with all the sumptuous weight saving weighs about 199kg while the LS7 weighs 243kg. Now here is the corker, the displacement of the LS7 is 175% more than the M3 mill.

To me the argument of Pushrod being old and non technology oriented is like the myth that Turd is the best truck ever built.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room