Which one?

scharmer05

I'm sure there are a lot of you out in C&G land who own one of these systems, and have maybe even played all of them. I'm not a real serious gamer anymore, but I would like to get back into the scene.

The Wii's price and ability to play old Nintendo games is definitely a plus, but the graphics aren't even in the same ball park as the others. With a big HDTV to play on, it seems like almost a waste to not go HD. The Wii just looks like a lot of fun. The PS3 is a lot more expensive but has Bluray, which makes it justifiable. I have never played one though, so I can't compare it to the 360. From what I have played the 360, it is impressive, and the price is a little more in line with what I would like to spend. Isn't the 360 HD-DVD compatible though? That would definitely make it worth it.

The price really isn't the main thing. Whatever is going to be the most fun in the long run is my goal. So why do you guys love or hate any of the systems? Let me know.

I've played all three systems since I've been going through the same thing myself. The 360 doesn't appear to have very many decent games but has good graphics and awesome game play. It won't support HD-DVD though. I've been hearing some horror stories about reliability though and Microsoft not honoring warranties, so that's something to keep in mind. The PS3 is ridiculously expensive ($600?!?), has about two decent games and no vibration, but the graphics kick butt and it supports Blu-ray. The Wii is basically a warmed over GameCube with fancy controllers. The remotes are neat and add something the other two don't, but make sure to buy the chargers that go with them you'll be spending all your money on batteries.

In the end it's a tossup between the Wii and 360. Either nifty controllers and giant library or Xbox live and a slightly smaller library. Good luck with your search! :cheers:

Ummm... not very many decent games??

The only games I've wanted to buy of this generation have all been 360, most of them exclusive.

Also it is HD-DVD compatible - via an external add-on drive.

I really like my 360.

I agree with TYD, the 360 is the only system with some really good next-gen games, Gears of War and BioShock are worth the price of admission alone. I tend to buy every system (I even have a Dreamcast - and loved it), and I would have bought the Wii if it was available in the beginning of the year, but the 360 has made me a graphics whore, and the Wii is sorely lacking in that department. I will miss not having Samus to kick around, though. Maybe when it drops to 199 or 150 I'll pick one up.

I probably won't touch the PS3 until someone makes a decision about the next-gen DVD format. If it is Blue-Ray, then the PS3 is a steal since the Blue-Ray player is standard and is worth it for that alone. But there really has been nothing on the PS3 that has made me want to buy one, and I have never been a Metal Gear Solid fan, so I see nothing in the future that is going to sway me.

And yes, the Red Ring of Death has been plaguing some systems, but Microsoft has extended the warranty and the one person I know that had the problem got it replaced quickly and without hassle.

A tough call...I'm a pretty avid gamer but lack the funds to really spend on a new game system...however I'm not sure which I'd buy first.

I've pretty much ruled the Wii out...the interactivity of the system is cool and unique but the graphics are unimpressive and none of the games really appeal to me.

The 360 has some games I like...but not that many so far. There is of course, Halo3, but beyond that I can't think of any gotta-have games.

The PS3 is expensive, but considering what you get it's a bit pf a bargain. Blue-Ray of course. PS3 also has the highest resoluion of all of the consoles, so it can make the most of the HD experience. Currently there aren't many gotta-have games...but there will be. Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, GTA, Final Fantasy, the rumored ZOE3...those are gotta-have games.

Metal Gear Solid 4

This is the one game I will miss by not having a PS3.

Gran Turismo 5

Play Forza 2 and tell me if you still miss this series. It's been outclassed at just about every release by one game or another. Honestly I'm surprised they still make these.

GTA

Will be on 360 as well.

Final Fantasy

This series has gone down the pooper. Repeatedly.

The rumored ZOE3

What is this one? I really have no idea.

It depends on what you want sharmer. The Wii is very interactive involving more than sitting on you rear end exercising your thumbs. I bought it because its something active I can do with the family during the harsh winters and still get some exercise. The graphics aren't that great, but it makes up for it in activity. If you want great graphics, then I would avoid the Wii and go with the Xbox 360.

How many of them would you want to play again?

I play all 5 games I own fairly regularly.

Guitar Hero II (also available on PS3)

Tiger Woods 07 (PS2/PS3/Wii)

Beautiful Katamari (360 only - odd, since the previous two versions were Sony-exclusive)

Forza 2 (360 only - I am ADDICTED to this game)

Gears of War (360 only - haven't played it much because it was bought with Forza)

Haven't bought Halo 3 yet. Maybe once I finish Forza I'll pick it up, because then I'd have time to play it.

As far as the Wii goes, it was a consideration when I bought my system - then I looked at all my friends who had bought one about 6 months earlier. They ranted and raved for about a month, then the system sat and collected dust for the next 5 months. They said it was just a novelty and wore off very quickly. While it is a neat concept, I want a video game system that I'm actually going to play.

As far as the Wii goes, it was a consideration when I bought my system - then I looked at all my friends who had bought one about 6 months earlier. They ranted and raved for about a month, then the system sat and collected dust for the next 5 months. They said it was just a novelty and wore off very quickly. While it is a neat concept, I want a video game system that I'm actually going to play.

That is what I kinda of feel might happen with the Wii for me. It's just something that is different. Tiger Woods would be a blast I bet though, and Guitar Hero 3 is going to be available on Wii. I know I would play those quite a bit, even over time. For the price though, I don't know that it would ever be too much of a waste to have around.

That is what I kinda of feel might happen with the Wii for me. It's just something that is different. Tiger Woods would be a blast I bet though, and Guitar Hero 3 is going to be available on Wii. I know I would play those quite a bit, even over time. For the price though, I don't know that it would ever be too much of a waste to have around.

The real selling point for the Wii is as a party system.

If you have a lot of people over who would play video games but are not necessarily "gamers", the Wii is great.

My condo is tiny however, I rarely host people at my place.

I love the Wii... but there just aren't enough games for EVERYONE.

I had Twilight Princess, which kept me until Super Paper Mario, which kept me until Metroid Prime, which is keeping me hooked until Mario Galaxy comes out, which will keep me hooked until Smash Bros. Brawl, which will have me hooked forever!

Nintendo has a smart thing going on for people who are easily amused playing one game. But people who want lots of different games at the same time probably don't like the Wii's choices. Sure there are good games out there for it, but I'm a big-name series fanboy, and only buy those.

FFXII was actually pretty good--I didn't think I was going to like active battling, but it worked very well. I agree though, the series isn't as good as say, FFVII or its predecessors.

As for a gaming console, don't get a PS3... there's like nothing available for it.

My students preach the 360. I think a Wii would be fun to own, but one brought up a good point: If it's like midnight and you just want to sit down and play a game, most require physical movement of some sort.

the ps3 has what....2 games? hehe, it's a supercomputer or a bluray player...that's about it.

wii...best party game before next summer will be smash brothers brawl. and all the "backwards compatibility"..even if you have to spend a little cash for it.

360... the "revised" ones that should be everywhere now, should have much fewer problems (the 45nm die instead of the 60nm) in terms of heat problems. elites have the HDMI i think...

This is the one game I will miss by not having a PS3.

Play Forza 2 and tell me if you still miss this series. It's been outclassed at just about every release by one game or another. Honestly I'm surprised they still make these.

Will be on 360 as well.

What is this one? I really have no idea.

Funny you should say that. Last week there was this big Xbox 360 promotion on campus where they set up a tent with 20-25 game stations for people to play. One of the games was Forza 2. I decided to give it a shot with the Viper GTS-R concept on the Laguna Seca raceway. While not bad, the physics are not nearly as polished as even GT4's physics. The graphics are no where near as good as the latest Gran Turismo demo, and I've never cared for the triggers being gas and brake on Xbox games. Saying every game has outclassed GT is like saying the new CTS outclasses the old one...well duh. It better, it's newer. Evens o, the mechanics of the game are no where near as finely tuned as even GT4's. I did like the damageable cars though.

I didn't get a chance to play Halo 3 though. :(

I still find Final Fantasy to be a good series...FFXI was my favorite and still is. I still like FFXI. By the way, for anyone who doesn't know and cares, FFXII's battle system is based heavily off of FFXI's.

ZOE = Zone of the Enders. I have liked the series since the first one, but the sequel was just incredible. From the graphics, to the controls, to the spectacular soundtrack, and the story..it is by far my favorite mech game. It's not a customizable mech game like Armored Core, but rather is a mech that is core to the story and is incredibly fast, maneuverable, and powerful...as opposed to slow and clunky.

Edited by Dodgefan

Well I've narrowed it down to the 360 or Wii. I like a lot of the games on both systems, just need to decide if I want HD and better graphics or just something that is fun for everyone. Having not really been around the gaming scene since after the N64, I don't know that I would miss amazing graphics. I seem to be leaning more and more towards the Wii. Isn't the Wii supposed to be about equivalent to the PS2 in graphics?

Well I've narrowed it down to the 360 or Wii. I like a lot of the games on both systems, just need to decide if I want HD and better graphics or just something that is fun for everyone. Having not really been around the gaming scene since after the N64, I don't know that I would miss amazing graphics. I seem to be leaning more and more towards the Wii. Isn't the Wii supposed to be about equivalent to the PS2 in graphics?

The 360 is fun for everyone. Not only does it have a current selection of fantastic games, but its outlook is a lot brighter. Not to mention there are Xbox Live Arcade games that are better than most of the games for the Wii.

The Wii is capable of slightly better graphics than the Nintendo Gamecube, its predecessor. In automotive terms, you could kind of look at the Wii as a major MCE for the Gamecube rather than a full redesign.

By the way, when I'm not here, I'm posting at a video game forum.