Cheap junk DVD player

mustang84

I got a DVD/VCR player combo a couple years ago for Christmas and went to use it today only to find out that the DVD eject motor doesn't work. I've probably only used it 15-20 times since I've owned it because I watch a lot of movies on my laptop. It was some no-name brand called "Go Video" and my sister got the same one and had the exact same thing happen about a year ago. Country of manufacture: South Korea.

Meanwhile, our 1982 RCA VCR back home still works to this day.

i've burned through one 'cyberhome' dvd player and the other is going to crap.

we're getting the in laws a dvd player for xmas. i saw n blackfriday.com one place has an after tgiving door buster 'coby' dvd player for 9.99

i can't even be that mean to them.

last year i got a philips 1080i upscale hdmi dvd player for the living room for like 50 bucks and i see they had em at walmart for 40 bucks now. its worth it to spend the 10 or 20 more bucks and get one that has a chance of lasting. It's amazing how many dvd players i have gone through now considering i don't use onethat much but the first dvd player i bought almost 10 years ago now, the pioneer, still works like a charm....

Edited by regfootball

I just use my PS2 for all my DVD watching activities. Has done me well. So far, the only electronics in our house to break have been the 27" Sony TV that survived a lightning strike, a cheapie Apex DVD player my parents used, and the old Phillips Magnavox stereo system I used before I replaced it with my JCV one. Everything else, including the 19 year old Sony TV my parents bought on their honeymoon, has lasted.

I have had good luck with DVD players. Still have my Pioneer 5 disk changer that I bought in October 2000. Got my Pioneer DVD recorder that has done me well.

My 8 yr old Sony 5-disc DVD player still works fine..same with my 10 yr old Sony 5-disc CD player and 10 yr old Sony VCR. I have a 10 yr old Sony reciever from my previous home theater set up that still works fine. I've never had problems with name-brand Japanese home A/V equipment.

But do you use it often?

My mom has a '84 Sony Betamax...still works.. she uses it some, my folks bought a ton of movies on Beta before the VHS era.. (she a late adopter--finally got a DVD player a couple of years ago).

My 5 year old samsung still works fine....

Wierd because I have had two Samsung DVD players last about a year....one just under a year so I got it replaced with a second one. The second one crapped out after about 13 months. I'm done with samsung DVD players. My Samsung DLP on the other hand has been great.

I have had the best luck with Toshiba DVD players. The one in my bedroom is over 5 years old and still works great. I have an upconvert HDMI Toshiba in my living room that still works great after a couple years. I'll stick with Toshiba when I pick up an HDDVD player one of these days.

As for VCRs....I don't use them anymore. I got my parents off that old school crap too. My parents have a 1980s something that is sitting in a closet that I'm sure still works if they ever want to watch a VCR tape again one day. I spent a lot of time watching videos on that thing when I was a kid. Why they never replaced it with something where you didn't have to HOLD DOWN the Rewind or FF buttons for as long as you wanted to navigate through the tape, I have no idea.

Wierd because I have had two Samsung DVD players last about a year....one just under a year so I got it replaced with a second one. The second one crapped out after about 13 months. I'm done with samsung DVD players. My Samsung DLP on the other hand has been great.

I have had the best luck with Toshiba DVD players. The one in my bedroom is over 5 years old and still works great. I have an upconvert HDMI Toshiba in my living room that still works great after a couple years. I'll stick with Toshiba when I pick up an HDDVD player one of these days.

I've had good luck w/ Toshibas as well.... when I went to an HD TV (Toshiba 52 inch DLP) for my living room a couple of years ago, I got a Toshiba upconvert DVD model (and put my 1999 Sony 5 disc DVD player in the bedroom w/ my old Sony TV). I'm still waiting to see which becomes dominant before I get an HD or Blu-Ray DVD player..

I still have my 1997-vintage Sony VCR, Sony 5-disc CD player, Sony dual cassette deck, and Sony record player (anyone here heard of vinyl LPs?) in my home theater setup, but rarely use those types of media much anymore...

Edited by moltar

my first serious A/V gear i bought in college was onkyo, but i sold it to buy some sansui we had EPP specials on when I worked at BBY. I still have the Sansui in a box in the basement and it works fine, it was one of the first pro logic receivers. Serious power too.

Most of the gear I have now is Sherwood Newcastle pieces I got from Ubid when Ubid when was worth anything. The Newcastle brand is seriously good stuff, a little off beat, and seems to be holding up quite well.

Besides the Philips DVD and plasma that's held up well, and besides the ancient Pioneer DVD in the basement, I have a newer Pioneer DVD that is a nice piece but I don't use it often because of where its at. I have typically found Pioneer to have excellent quality in just about everything they make. Car audio espcially.

I might get some updated equipment next year, probably Marantz or Denon or Newcastle. Bro in law is an installer and can get a good deal. I think those brands all tend to be fairly reliable.

The APple TV media extender I got is reliable and is a lot more convenient to use than a DVD player.

Edited by regfootball

In terms of durability we've had good luck with RCA and Toshiba in terms of Durability... Except in laptops where Toshiba went down the tubes on the A100 at least (I have one of the top end dual core ones.) It doesn't really matter. I've decided that from now on I do a build-my-own gaming desktop and just get an IBM/Lenovo laptop or tablet in the future.