Challanger SRT price is released

hyperv6

Here is what info Dodge released and was posted on Autoblog

As we revealed a few days ago, the first Dodge Challengers to go on sale will only be 2008 SRT8 models. Today we've learned that those 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8s will carry an MSRP of $37,995 (including $675 for destination) and that dealers will begin taking orders for them as early as December 3rd. That's next Monday, people. If you were expecting to have the whole month of December to convince your domestic partner that a Challenger is much more important than Christmas presents, the deadline for that convincing argument has just been moved up.

The 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 will be available in three colors: Black, Silver and HEMI Orange. All will feature the same carbon fiber hood stripes as the concept vehicle, as well. The iconic muscle car that looks poised to beat the Chevy Camaro to market by a good margin is, of course, powered by a 6.1L HEMI V8 that's available with a 5-speed automatic or six-speed manual (though prior reports state you need to wait for the '09 for the latter). While power figures have yet to be revealed, this engine makes 425 horsepower in other SRT8 vehicles.

Stay tuned to us for more info on the 2008 Dodge Challenger as it becomes available, which we promise will be soon. We expect pricing for the rest of the lineup to be announced sometime around the Detroit Auto Show in January. Also check out the Dodge brand's official blog called Red Letter Dodge, as we find information gets posted there first usually.

None of this should be a suprise as never promised or hinted that this car was never going to match Ford or Chevy in price, size or weight.

Dodge also looks like they chose the path to make more money per unit and not go for volume.

Later cars should come in cheaper and less powerful but they will never be priced lower or be as light as the Camaro or Mustang.

Guest YellowJacket894

Judging from the price tag, and how many people can access the required money needed to buy it, this car may not turn that much profit and generate much sales for Chrysler until 2009 when the SE and R/T models are released.

Judging from the price tag, and how many people can access the required money needed to buy it, this car may not turn that much profit and generate much sales for Chrysler until 2009 when the SE and R/T models are released.

Even then how expensive will the V6 be vs the Camaro and Mustang V8? A few dollars more you get a whole lot more.

This car will be much like the original bigger, higher priced and only around for a couple years.

Price is king with the Mustang and Chevy is working hard to give more at near the same price. Chrysler took the hard sell road with low volume and with the new owners will they put up with that for very long. They want profits and if not profits it like many other Chryslers will be gone and replaced with other volume cars.

wow, great price for a terrible interior!

Because you've seen the production interior? :rolleyes:

Plenty of people will have the money to buy it, or they will take out a loan to buy it. How do you think people afford other cars in the price range? They'll have no problem selling them I'm sure, and when the cheaper models come out, they'll be able to get more potential buyers with the lower price. These first few are supposed to be special. I think it's awesome that they keep the carbon fiber. I hope they kept the pistol grip shifter!

It would be nice if the prices remain the same once the new engines debut...then you'll get even more bang for your buck.

While the Challenger won't sell in the same kind of numbers the Mustang or Camaro will, it doesn't need to. The Charger and another LX platform mates are the bread and butter vehicles of that platform.

The Camaro has to sell in higher numbers because it is on an all new platform, one that has been modified from the other Zetas and is the only one that will be built in America right now.

The Mustang only shares it's platform with itself, so it has to sell in high numbers, plus it has traditionally been the cheapest one anyway. Its costs stay down because it uses simpler technology, like a live axle out back. Remember that the special mustangs can easily get into the price range of the Challenger SRT8.

Edited by Dodgefan

the g8 v8 will start at 30k. so i do not see the camaro exceeding that price with v8 guts.

sure, an srt will pack more punch, but i think they are testing the limits of what someone will pay for a muscle car.

The SRT8 Challenger is a top shelf muscle car, the Challengers that are "base models" will start at considerably less.

Apples, meet oranges.

:rolleyes:

If the top of the line Camaro comes in at an estimated $37,000 or more it's gonna be funny in this thread, don't ya think?

LOL!!!!!!!

Autoblog has a update and the price has gone up. Here is the latest.

One of our readers pointed us to this page over at Dodge's website that contradicted our earlier post about the 2008 Challenger SRT-8's pricing, which was originally announced at $37,995 (including the $675 destination charge). We realize that inflation is a cruel mistress, but a bump in the sticker to $40,095 left us scratching our heads. A few emails back and forth between the people at Chrysler revealed that the SRT-8 was slapped with a $2100 gas-guzzler penalty that accounted for the discrepancy in price. Not a real surprise considering the 425 hp 6.1-liter HEMI V8. As a comparison, however, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 gets a $1300 consumption penalty, even with 75 more horses under the hood. A quick search over at fueleconomy.gov revealed that if Challenger SRT-8 owners are penalized $2100, that means that they'll also only be getting between 18.5 and 19.5 mpg in the combined cycle. We doubt that'll be a deterrent, but it's food for thought.

Autoblog has a update and the price has gone up. Here is the latest.

One of our readers pointed us to this page over at Dodge's website that contradicted our earlier post about the 2008 Challenger SRT-8's pricing, which was originally announced at $37,995 (including the $675 destination charge). We realize that inflation is a cruel mistress, but a bump in the sticker to $40,095 left us scratching our heads. A few emails back and forth between the people at Chrysler revealed that the SRT-8 was slapped with a $2100 gas-guzzler penalty that accounted for the discrepancy in price. Not a real surprise considering the 425 hp 6.1-liter HEMI V8. As a comparison, however, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 gets a $1300 consumption penalty, even with 75 more horses under the hood. A quick search over at fueleconomy.gov revealed that if Challenger SRT-8 owners are penalized $2100, that means that they'll also only be getting between 18.5 and 19.5 mpg in the combined cycle. We doubt that'll be a deterrent, but it's food for thought.

Like I said, rumor rumor rumor.... but if the Camaro's top of the line highest performance Camaro comes in as more expensive, I'm sure this place is gonna be a comic relief....

:AH-HA_wink:

$40,000 for a mid 12 true musclecar (or $38,000 for a true musclecar) won't turn off buyers IMO.

Like I said, rumor rumor rumor.... but if the Camaro's top of the line highest performance Camaro comes in as more expensive, I'm sure this place is gonna be a comic relief....

$40,000 for a mid 12 true musclecar (or $38,000 for a true musclecar) won't turn off buyers IMO.

Well I would not discount this too much yet at most RWD SRT cars come in at $40K. Besides read the update on Autoblog that I posted as a new thread the price they has was wrong and they had to raise it per Dodge stated the gas guzzler tax is over $2,000.

The top line Camaro will be more as this is not the top line Challanger. The RT is coming and is going to be more money yet. The Camaro prices will shadow the Mustang very close and be about 10K less with a 430 HP on the mid priced SS. The Z28 will be in Shelby pricing area. As for the V6 it will be around the 25 K range.

Only the diehard Mopar fans will spend $10,000 or more for a car like this when for 10K less you can get a mid 12 Sec Camaro or updated Mustang.

Anyway Volume is the key to this car and the way that Chrysler is trating it it could becone a short term car like the Crossfire and Prowler. The new owners of Chrysler are here to make money and if they can't they will break it up. They are investment people not auto enthusiast.

Well I would not discount this too much yet at most RWD SRT cars come in at $40K. Besides read the update on Autoblog that I posted as a new thread the price they has was wrong and they had to raise it per Dodge stated the gas guzzler tax is over $2,000.

The top line Camaro will be more as this is not the top line Challanger. The RT is coming and is going to be more money yet. The Camaro prices will shadow the Mustang very close and be about 10K less with a 430 HP on the mid priced SS. The Z28 will be in Shelby pricing area. As for the V6 it will be around the 25 K range.

Only the diehard Mopar fans will spend $10,000 or more for a car like this when for 10K less you can get a mid 12 Sec Camaro or updated Mustang.

Anyway Volume is the key to this car and the way that Chrysler is trating it it could becone a short term car like the Crossfire and Prowler. The new owners of Chrysler are here to make money and if they can't they will break it up. They are investment people not auto enthusiast.

I can see you aren't "up" on the Chrysler stuff....

The SRT is definitely the "top of the line" performance model, the R/T is definitely a lower priced model comparatively.

R/T cars come with either the 340hp or 350hp 5.7 Hemi, and are generally about 10K less than the SRT cars in the other LX platforms.

The Camaro performance figures and the pricing aren't out yet are they? Guesses don't do much as far as accuracy goes. ;)

The last generation of Camaro available had some VERY high prices for their top of the line cars. If you think the top of the line Camaro is going to run mid 12's, and have a sticker price of less than $30,000 I think you are dreaming.

Time will tell though...

Gas guzzler taxes will apply to every car you mention. If you think the highest power Camaro will evade the gas guzzler tax I will have to wait to break the news to you when it comes out, because I will bet the bank it will get a gas guzzler tax too.