68 I found something you will LOVE!

91z4me

that... is by far the sweetest thing ive ever seen...

they should include this on the new Knightrider KITT

Pros:

-could probably be built to increase side impact safety

-very cool looking, real "wow" feature

Cons:

-more expensive to build/repair than a standard car door

-less space efficient than a standard car door (face it, you're basically storing a car door under your seat)

-bound to be complications in snowy conditions

We didn't really get a good look at the interior panels on these doors that I noticed (though I wasn't thinking to watch for it at the time) - interior panel design would definitely be affected.

Overall... I think GM could be well served to look into this as a feature on a top of the line caddy. :) This is the kind of premium feature that would help justify moving more established features to be more commonplace on the other brands, like the Nav stuff that was discussed recently. If "wow" features like this set apart caddy and the like, then there's no need to worry about whether something like Nav will.

imagine the car thief who goes to open the door... only to find no conventional locks... or any visible method of opening the door in any manner... hilarity would surely ensue

I can't believe they made more than one of these Lincolns. Jatech built them for Ford in the early 90s and the idea was patented for Ford to use it. One of these Lincolns just sold on ebay. The ad said it was a one-off but I guess not. Interesting idea though.

Thats pretty cool. The thing that I wouldn't like would be if the car was parked outside in the snow you'd need to have your scraper with you to remove the snow before the window went down into the door to open it, or what if the window was frozen shut? Also, passengers and the interior would get very wet in the rain with the window going down and the door to come down. Other than that, that is a pretty cool system.

Problems with these were definitely not unheard of with these cars. If you saw the one on Ebay, it had a few issues mainly with the passenger door. The door just wouldn't open apparently. Whoever bought it forked out quite a bit of money despite these problems with the doors and 120k miles, it sold for $14k I believe.