Ford @ NAIAS 2008: North American Ford Verve Concept

Ford Reveals Small-Car Vision for North America

* New Ford Verve small car concept showcases the style, technology, premium materials and more substantial content that will set it apart from other offerings when Ford's new small cars go on sale in North America in 2010.

* Four-door Verve is designed to appeal to “Millennials,” the fastest-growing segment of the population, as well as their parents — with sophisticated technology and expressive design demanded by globally savvy customers.

* A European three-door Verve concept also is being displayed at the North American International Auto Show to test North American reaction to an alternative bodystyle.

* In the U.S., small-car sales are predicted to increase by more than 25 percent through 2012. Small cars and crossovers are the only vehicles with projected near-term growth in the U.S.

Ford Motor

Detroit — Ford Motor Company is revealing the Verve, a concept vehicle that makes clear the vision for the new small cars Ford soon will introduce in North America.

The Verve is bold and sophisticated — to help it clearly stand out from other small cars on the road. Ford is building on decades of small car leadership in Europe as it develops new small cars for North America to appeal to increasingly savvy customers who value technology, design and fuel efficiency.

Both four- and three-door Verve body styles are being unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, as curtain-raisers to a new global family of small cars set to debut in Europe and Asia beginning later this year and in North America in 2010. …

icon11.gif Full release and photos at AutoReport

I really like this car. best looking small car concept or production vehicle I've seen, with nice proportions too. Interior is funky but cool. I do wish they'd build it without changing a thing. But this is Ford, and the NA version will probably look like a cross between a Focus and a SuperDuty <_<

This is what Ford needs in the US, among other things. Very nicely done, and we need the 3-door bodystyle here, as well. This is a car that will make people want to downsize. It is downsizing without downgrading.

This gives me far more hope for Ford than the newly-released '09 F-150 did. Much of it seems production-ready, and it's more Enclave or AURA concept than Volt or Solstice concept, in that it's a preview of an actual car, not a "design exercise" or Powerpoint-engineered distraction piece. Even ignoring the concept glitz-and-glamor, the Verve looks like an exciting design.

like the exterior a lot. i've seen the interior shots and its glitzy because of the red and stuff, but in production colors the dash would look a little too trendy and insubstantial in its massing for my tastes. i think the interior design theme is too busy and would go out of vogue fairly quickly as some of its elements are already dated.

overall, a nice design to look forward to. On BON i think someone posted job 1 on this thing in about 2 years from now. Like april 2010 i think.

Edited by regfootball

like the exterior a lot. i've seen the interior shots and its glitzy because of the red and stuff, but in production colors the dah looks a little too trendy and insubstantial in its massing for my tastes.

overall, a nice design to look forward to. On BON i think someone posted job 1 on this thing in about 2 years from now. Like april 2010 i think.

'insubstantial in its massing'...now there is quite a phrase..

Job One is April 2009. The redesigned Focus is 2010.

This is pretty much the production car. About the only things you may see change, are the wheels, and coloration of the interior.

This is car is much smaller than the Focus, thus, I doubt it would steal alot of sales. The car is 20" shorter.

Edited by 01LightningGal