Would you guys buy the Edix if it was available here?

siegen

If you were in the market for a crossover or cute-ute, would this vehicle appeal to you?

The Honda Edix is available in Japan. It is a 6-seater 5-door hatch, roughly the size of the CR-V except shorter and more of a wagon. It uses a 2.0L or 2.4L K-series engine. I don't know the weight, but it probably weighs a little less and due to the shape likely will get 2-3 mpg better than the CR-V.

The middle seat in each row slides backwards 27cm or 17cm to make it more comfortable for the person sitting there. Likely the middle seats will be occupied by children, but when needed (and if you don't mind having your arm up against somebody else's) seating capacity for 6 would be useful. When not in use the front middle seat folds forward to become an armrest and drink holder, and the middle rear seat has an armrest built into it. The rear cargo area including the backs of the rear seats are a waterproof material instead of fabric. The 3 seats can apparently fold down independantly, and with all 3 seats down it has a lot of cargo space (3 mountain bikes with removed from wheels). With the two middle seats folded down, it can hold 4 people and a number of snowboards (or as shown in the picture, a surf board or wake board of some sort).

edixexteriorstyle.jpg

Yeah the blue fabric is ugly, I doubt that would be the standard if the vehicle was ever brought over here.

edixinteriorstyle.jpg

edixinteriorseating.jpg

edixinteriorconfigurations.jpg

Waterproof liner for cargo area.

edixinteriorwaterproof.jpg

The question is if you were in the market for a crossover type vehicle. Naturally most of you wouldn't personally consider a vehicle like this.

The answer would stay the same.

I find everything about it offensive - sorry, just being honest.

I will never buy a car I can't like.

Make it good-looking and the idea could fly. The reason some people move out of traditional sedans is that they're useless when carpooling and someone wants to bring a friend along. Compact three-row MPVs like the Touran or Zafira don't work when you want cargo with your passengers, or have a rear-end collision, and big MPVs (minivans) are too, well, big and guzzle too much gas. A six-passenger two-row seems to address these concerns.

Edited by empowah

my main issue is that the front seats are so cramped. I do not want to have to watch my elbows that closely as the driver. If I have need to regularly drive 5 other people around, I'll get a 3-row vehicle (Lambda, etc). Even if there's no one in the middle front seat, the fact that they've made the seats so narrow to get 3 in means that it would still feel somewhat cramped in the front seats even without someone in the middle.

The looks aren't exciting or offensive - it's just got a average boring Honda look. They wouldn't sway my opinion either way, really (though another vehicle in the segment with good looks could).

Here's a fun fact. A lot of advertisements for Honda vehicles in Japan picture Americans or Europeans using them, and often have California license plates. You can see a rather funny pic here on the Honda japan site (it also gives a good idea as to the size and proportions of the vehicle). It is rather small.

Make it good-looking and the idea could fly. The reason some people move out of traditional sedans is that they're useless when carpooling and someone wants to bring a friend along. Compact three-row MPVs like the Touran or Zafira don't work when you want cargo with your passengers, or have a rear-end collision, and big MPVs (minivans) are too, well, big and guzzle too much gas. A six-passenger two-row seems to address these concerns.

no one wants to ride 3 wide in the front and the car would need to be seriously wide for 3 comfortably in the rear. i can get 3 wide in back in the 500 and they are still a bit too close for comfort.

plus, you don't get car pools of 6 anyways. too hard to coordinate.

i think if they mainly just put in a console in front and made it a 5 passenger it would be fine. having the center of the front be able to be used for kids and be slid front to back is interesting though. you would need about 58-60+ inches of hip room to make this work.

for this to fly in the US i would expect it would need to deliver 27-28 mpg city to make it a difference maker because of the comfort sacrifice over a van or crossover.

Edited by regfootball

Sure, they'll bring that to market in the states, and Honda will boast about their new, more convenient six passenger seating like its never been done before. :rolleyes:

Well, it hasn't been done this way in the US (3 bucket seats in the front, with the middle set back slightly from the other two). It is a clever design.

no one wants to ride 3 wide in the front and the car would need to be seriously wide for 3 comfortably in the rear. i can get 3 wide in back in the 500 and they are still a bit too close for comfort.

plus, you don't get car pools of 6 anyways. too hard to coordinate.

i think if they mainly just put in a console in front and made it a 5 passenger it would be fine. having the center of the front be able to be used for kids and be slid front to back is interesting though. you would need about 58-60+ inches of hip room to make this work.

for this to fly in the US i would expect it would need to deliver 27-28 mpg city to make it a difference maker because of the comfort sacrifice over a van or crossover.

Given the same engine as the CR-V, but with lesser weight and better aerodynamics, I assume it could do high 20's fairly consistently, considering most people average mid 20's in the CR-V. If they used a K20 it would be even better, but would be too slow for American buyers.

Seating 3 adults side by side would be a bit of a squeeze, even with the sliding middle seats. It would likely lose the front configuration if it came to the U.S., which would make it less differentiated from the Fit and CR-V, and it probably wouldn't fly in that case.

Except it doesn't appear to offer any advantage. The middle passenger still must constrict their arms to fit between the seatbacks of the outboard seats- this is no better than leaving the middle passenger inline with the others... unless, in fact, this car is so narrow (gee, I wonder) that the outboard passengers automatically overflow their seatbacks as it is. I for one, would be extremely annoyed to have the elbows & arms of passengers beside me overlapping mine.

From the overhead pic with 6 adults, it sure looks like a bull$h! gimmick to me, tho it may have some small practicality for kids in the middle (tho I still doubt it).

No way would I, were I in the market in this segment, go for such a cramped & unappealing vehicle.