GM @ NYIAS '08: Pontiac G8 Sport Truck

Well, I'm in the same boat as you (needing 4-doors for family hauling), but I'm praying that GMC comes through and offers a production version of the Denali XT concept. However, if I could manage with a 2-seater I'd be all over my own G8 ST in a heartbeat!!!

ya, a production Denali XT would be on my list

Hmmmm, GM has noticed that on the major blogs for the Pontiac G8 ST, general public opinion is running very, very negative against this vehicle.

Yeah, and most of the people who are very negative about this vehicle are not in this "core market" you speak about, and also most of them are anti-GM, so they would not by it either. Seems to me that most of the people who would buy this car would not look at autoblog religiously like some of those morons do.

If GM is already punishing people within the company when the vehicle has not been given a chance to fail, then that is very short sighted of them, and frankly, quite disappointing.

Limited market appeal? No $h!!

This is obviously a niche vehicle. It's a simple port for NA with minimal investment, and they don't have to bring that many over if they don't want/need to. Years of ribcage-showing, torque-steering, 80's-concept-car-interiored mediocracy did this brand much worse than a two year limited appeal niche vehicle could ever do.

I don't see the problem.

FWIW, of the three Pontiacs that debuted yesterday, the ST had by far the biggest crowd. I wasn't able to get a single good photo of it until after the Volt Nation event where everyone was pretty much leaving. Reaction was overwhelmingly positive at the PC and afterwards, I'd say.

Yeah, and most of the people who are very negative about this vehicle are not in this "core market" you speak about, and also most of them are anti-GM, so they would not by it either. Seems to me that most of the people who would buy this car would not look at autoblog religiously like some of those morons do.

If GM is already punishing people within the company when the vehicle has not been given a chance to fail, then that is very short sighted of them, and frankly, quite disappointing.

I agree, plus you can't guage popularity on the internet. A lot of people probably have multiple accounts just to bash or praise, plus these are a FEW people in comparison to the population of America. Not to mention they are probably import humpers. No one complained about the Subaru Baja.

I think, I think GM will not be stupid and gauge just one barometer of public opinion, in this case the blogs. In person, GM's designs, a lot of them, just one is the Silverado [almost universally maligned on blogs, but then really well liked after time], have proven to be more likeable and enduring. Soooooo, I would venture to say a lot of people online are being (a) close-minded and (b) can't really see the vehicle, can't accurately picture the real world version of it, as opposed to a tiny picture standing in front of them.

No doubt cars like the H3 and H2 for example, don't work all that well, don't boil people's emotions quite like they do in person. This is true of many and most car designs. Design in general is better appreciated in person than in photograph. Who would you find hotter, Angelina Jolie in one vibrant pose or Angelina Jolie in person with a lifetime unlimited range of expression and appeal?

Edited by turbo200