Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris_Doane

GM @ NYIAS '08: Pontiac G8 Sport Truck

63 posts in this topic

And Camino dies happy.

What can I say? I really do like the ST. This sort of truck would be the most welcome direct replacement for my Sonoma. Let's hope we see more trucks in the same vein as this new ST.

Edited by YellowJacket894

It's a neat vehicle...very distinctive, and the only thing like it on the market. V8, 2 seat RWD car w/ a bed... unique.

I'm not a big fan of the El Camino, but that video was tear-inducing.

Ya know, a fuel efficient version could actually take customers away from the small pickup world, I think. A lot of people who buy small pickups just want to be able to haul something occasionally, and the load capacity on this is plenty for that for most people.

Plus it's hot. :)

That durn video made me NUTS! Wow... coolness x100,000. :):hot:

Today is your Christmas Camino. Merry Christmas buddy! Santa really DOES exist. This vehicle is very cool. I think this vehicle could steal sales away from midsize pickups if it offered a crew cab configuration and an all wheel drive drivetrain.

GM should replace the Colorado/Canyon with a GMC lineup of trucks based off this and the Denali XT Concept.

For all those thinking this will steal sales from midsizes, the G8 V6 starts at $27,595 and the GT is $29,995 while the Colorado regular cab starts at $16,050, the (ugly as sin) Dakota doesn't offer a regular cab, the extended cab starts at $20,125, the Frontier (also not available as a regular cab) starts at $16,250. The G8 ST, if it steals sales from any traditional trucks, will steal sales from full-size, regular cab trucks, which aren't the most popular models, not even close.

Today is your Christmas Camino. Merry Christmas buddy! Santa really DOES exist. This vehicle is very cool. I think this vehicle could steal sales away from midsize pickups if it offered a crew cab configuration and an all wheel drive drivetrain.

GM should replace the Colorado/Canyon with a GMC lineup of trucks based off this and the Denali XT Concept.

Thanks!

My next New Year really will be a happy one thanks to this!

Seems I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas 2009.

What is the expected launch date for this machine?

For all those thinking this will steal sales from midsizes, the G8 V6 starts at $27,595 and the GT is $29,995 while the Colorado regular cab starts at $16,050, the (ugly as sin) Dakota doesn't offer a regular cab, the extended cab starts at $20,125, the Frontier (also not available as a regular cab) starts at $16,250. The G8 ST, if it steals sales from any traditional trucks, will steal sales from full-size, regular cab trucks, which aren't the most popular models, not even close.

you're thinking in the box. the pontiac camino will appeal to sportster truck buyers, the ones who do custom work on thier truck, they want the truck image, but they want a badass truck, usually these buyers flock to tacomas. the same that it will appeal to performance coupe buyers, and to buyers who just want something unique. this will not have a problem finding 15k buyers per year.

this will be a lot cheaper than the SSR and i think that is where some of these buyers will be hiding.

simply put, there are enough folks who want something to haul motocross bikes with or tow jet skis and this vehicle is a fashion accessory to those with that lifestyle.

i can already see marketing tie ins with that motorsports crowd.

this truck will have a unique set of buyers.

for many, a truck like this is a summer toy and they probably already have another full size truck of some sort they use year round. I know back from whence I grew up, lots of farmers who love hot rods and trucks will be they types who may think of having something like this in the shed all winter and will pull it out for street dances and bar runs on hot summer nights. (Since its a truck, it may be deductible on taxes).

Edited by regfootball

oh ya it needs all kinds of crazy colors. which brings me to my next point, GM has gotten better at picking colors for thier cars, but they still suck majorly at it. Starting with the Acadia, which is a very cool truck but looks awful traditional/GM in the red, some better/blinger colors would be nice.

this will be a lot cheaper than the SSR and i think that is where some of these buyers will be hiding.

simply put, there are enough folks who want something to haul motocross bikes with or tow jet skis and this vehicle is a fashion accessory to those with that lifestyle.

i can already see marketing tie ins with that motorsports crowd.

this truck will have a unique set of buyers.

for many, a truck like this is a summer toy and they probably already have another full size truck of some sort they use year round. I know back from whence I grew up, lots of farmers who love hot rods and trucks will be they types who may think of having something like this in the shed all winter and will pull it out for street dances and bar runs on hot summer nights. (Since its a truck, it may be deductible on taxes).

You are so right with this post,Reg.

So is Turbo about the easy 15k/year.

I'm hoping for a wider selection of colors as well. I usually go with black on something like this, but Holden only uses a metallic black and I'm not really a fan of that. Picking a color will be my biggest debate when I order mine.

you're thinking in the box. the pontiac camino will appeal to sportster truck buyers, the ones who do custom work on thier truck, they want the truck image, but they want a badass truck, usually these buyers flock to tacomas. the same that it will appeal to performance coupe buyers, and to buyers who just want something unique. this will not have a problem finding 15k buyers per year.

To add to what you say, the Colorado is, for all intents and purposes, a rolling joke compared to its competition and to the subject of this thread. Now, AFAIK, the ST (or whatever they end up calling it) will only come with the V8, and despite that it should have no problem trumping the 18/24 fuel economy rating of a 4cyl, 2wd Colorado. The return of an El Camino-like vehicle is an idea whose time has come. Need a vehicle that has all the advantages of a car (better performance, handling, fuel economy), yet can handle the occasional trip to Home Depot? This is it. Every one of these are going to sell. Should GM decide to fully implement the Ute here once NA Zeta production starts and offer a full range of content levels, engines, and bodystyles - and the Denali XT shows that they just might be thinking along those lines - it could definitely replace the midzised trucks.

Should GM decide to fully implement the Ute here once NA Zeta production starts and offer a full range of content levels, engines, and bodystyles - and the Denali XT shows that they just might be thinking along those lines - it could definitely replace the midzised trucks.

No complaining here. As I said earlier, a used (hopefully there will be a new one, however) G8 Ute will more than likely replace the Sonoma in my driveway when the funds become available in the future.

Oddly enough, as much as I do like the G8 Ute's styling, I sort of hope they'll have a NA variant with more traditional truck styling (i.e. separate cab and bed) if Zeta trucks are in fact in the cards. I don't know why, though.

No complaining here. As I said earlier, a used (hopefully there will be a new one, however) G8 Ute will more than likely replace the Sonoma in my driveway when the funds become available in the future.

Oddly enough, as much as I do like the G8 Ute's styling, I sort of hope they'll have a NA variant with more traditional truck styling (i.e. separate cab and bed) if Zeta trucks are in fact in the cards. I don't know why, though.

That isn't likely to happen unless Holden revives the One-Tonner for Australia. Personally, I'd rather have a Silverado than one of those - the separate bed really ruins the concept for me.

:scratchchin: You know I never considered this variant of the G8 until I remembered I need to replace the TURD (Corolla AWD wagon that was rear ended and totaled) so I can carry my Airsoft gear instead of jamming all the gear into my Trans Am as I am doing now. In profile it looks sweet and this car will get noticed. I wonder if it will handle as good as the sedan. Anyone know how such a car would handle based on sort of past history. Is the rear lighter because there is less weight?

So, think about this.

If PONTIAC is CAR.......(NEW ad campaign)....

then why are they planning on selling a TRUCK?

LOL. THAT's not gonna EFF with anyone's mind is it?

i bet the ad campaign was done and good and literally in the last couple months they decided, 'oh, let's add the truck'.

Edited by regfootball

So, think about this.

If PONTIAC is CAR.......(NEW ad campaign)....

then why are they planning on selling a TRUCK?

LOL. THAT's not gonna EFF with anyone's mind is it?

i bet the ad campaign was done and good and literally in the last couple months they decided, 'oh, let's add the truck'.

It's a car truck, though....a 2 seat coupe with a large trunk. :)

yep it's definitely a sports coupe with a pickup bed. that's probably the angle they'll hit on.

As far as the performance, princSD, check out edmunds.com for a full review on the Aussie version, I beleive it may have even been the last gen, but it was a recent article. short answer, they loved the performance.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0