Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XP715

Looking for information

39 posts in this topic

I was doing a little thinking recently about finding a project pickup at some point down the road, and the 1973-1987 C/K pickups (and '73-'91 Suburbans/Blazers/Jimmys) are the natural choice because of their driveability, modularity, and aftermarket support, and also because they hold a special place in my heart because they are the trucks I grew up with and remember vividly from my childhood as my father, most other male family members of mine, most of my friend's fathers, and virtually all of my father's friends and acquaintances drove them. They had all different sizes and configurations; long beds and short, crew cabs and standard, fleetside and stepside, two wheel drive and four in all different tonnages; you name it. But there is one super rare bird that none of them had, that no aftermarket parts distributor even acknowledges existence of that I have always wanted:

The 1973-1987 Chevrolet/GMC C/K stepside LONGBED.

Yes, they made them. In super limited numbers. I have seen exactly one in person, in passing on the road, and this was at least a decade ago. They are virtually nonexistent in photographs. In fact, after about an hour of research of on Google Image Search and through various websites, I was able to find only one set of four photographs:

longstep.jpg

This is a 1977 Chevrolet C10 stepside longbed. This is a real unmolested truck that left the factory with this bed; it is not an aftermarket conversion or a home-built bed. Beyond that, what I know about these trucks I could write on a postage stamp. GM RPO code E62 designates a stepside bed, but I am not sure what code or combination of codes with that equals a stepside longbed. So, here are the questions I'm seeking answers to if any of you have this information or could point me in a direction:

- What RPO code or combination of codes should I be looking for to discover this rare option?

- What years was this configuration produced?

- In what numbers was this configuration produced?

- Is there any production breakdown of trucks built in this configuration (Chevrolet vs. GMC, 2WD vs. 4WD, 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton, etc.)?

- Was a steel bed floor optional in this configuration, or only oak with steel strips?

- Did the factory make a completely different special bed for this year range ('73-'87), or is it simply the previous generation ('67-'72) longbed with the '73-'87 stepside fenders and a different set of "running boards" on it? (Very important; this could mean the difference between being able to make one and having to scour the countryside to find one)

Any help any of you are able to give me on getting information on these rare trucks is greatly appreciated; I need to own one of these before I die!

Edited by XP715

wish i had any info for you.. post anything you leanr, this is very intriuging indeed!

Hmmm ... for some reason this looks very familiar to me. :scratchchin:

I know I have a great uncle who owns an early Seventies Chevrolet C1500 stepside, in the same color as the truck you posted. I am not sure if it was the long-wheelbase model, however. I've never thought to notice, but when I call on my memory, it seems like it could in fact be one. If it turns out it is the model you are looking for, maybe I'll see if I can get in contact with him and see if he possibly saved the window sticker as I am pretty certain he purchased it new.

When I am visiting relatives again, I'll try to remember to see if my grandfather can call him up and ask him if he saved the window sticker and if I can see some ordering codes from it. And the truck usually sets near the road, so I can definitely determine if it is the model you are looking for without much hassle. :P

Edited by YellowJacket894

UPDATE: After scouring the web for another hour, I stumbled upon an excellent site with an ever-expanding collection of GM sales brochures for the 1973-1987 C/K pickups and 1973-1991 Suburbans/Blazers/Jimmys, and found the following information:

- The 8-foot stepside bed is first mentioned in the 1973 brochure, not mentioned every single year, but IS mentioned as late as the 1982 brochure. The 1983-1986 pickup brochures were not available, however, so it COULD be offered later than '82.

- All C-series pickups had the option of the 6 1/2-foot or 8-foot stepside bed, as did the K10. The K20 stepside, however, was ONLY equipped with the 8-foot bed. (Ideally a K20 with the 8-foot stepside bed is what I would want to find; this is good news!)

aaaaaaaaand some photographs:

74longstep.jpg

75longstep.jpg

81longstep.jpg

Still on the hunt for information. Once again, thanks in advance to any of you that are able to give me anything on these trucks!

These trucks did exist, but yes, they are rare to see today. I grew up in a suburb of Trenton and there was a service station that owned a dark blue Chevy since the '80s. I will say that it was between a '82-'87 model, as it had the square look in the front fenders and I want to say it was probably more like an '85-'87, as it had the updated grille with the headlight/turnsignal combo (no turn signals in the bumper, like the '81-'84 trucks had). I've been by the station lately and it has changed owners (all new station), and the cars & trucks (including the longbed stepside) that were part of the back lot, are all gone. Other than that bit of info, I can't really give you anything else to go on. Maybe our resident truck wiz - Wildmanjoe - will be able to give you more useful information to aid in your research.

Maybe a feature in the Random Truck Showcase some day? :scratchchin:

I think I had a blue 1:64 toy of a blue stepside, but alas it was probably a shortbed.

It came from a Colgate Toothpaste promotion in the early eighties If I recall. :truck:

I haven't seen one of those in ages...I remember seeing them in Florida in the '80s in state hwy dept livery. I vaguely remember once seeing a stepside w/ a 4dr crew cab body...don't recall if it was a short or long bed, though.

I haven't seen one of those in ages...I remember seeing them in Florida in the '80s in state hwy dept livery. I vaguely remember once seeing a stepside w/ a 4dr crew cab body...don't recall if it was a short or long bed, though.

If you remember correctly, it would HAVE to be a longbed; that would be the ULTIMATE truck for wheeling. Crew cab for five, closed to keep the mud off of whiny pussies that don't understand there's dirt involved with off-roading, and functional bed without having to hack a Suburban up :drool:

But any truck in this configuration, or even just the bed itself would be fine; I can make it whatever else I want it to be with a donor truck or two.

I believe they were produced every year of that bodystyle.

For some reason, they were popular with government fleets, I remember seeing them often with Conrail or Amtrak colors and ID.

I know some at least had a steel floor in the bed, and I suspect that the wooden floor was phased out at some point during the bodystyle run.

I've always thought that these were cool and gave that bodystyle a bit more visual oomph than the fleetsides had.

Up in the corner of the RPO label there will be a code which designates the body style. A reg cab long bed regardless of stepside or not will read 10903, a shortbed reg cab will read 10703. The option code for a stepside is E62.

For some reason, they were popular with government fleets, I remember seeing them often with Conrail or Amtrak colors and ID.

I know some at least had a steel floor in the bed, and I suspect that the wooden floor was phased out at some point during the bodystyle run.

I've always thought that these were cool and gave that bodystyle a bit more visual oomph than the fleetsides had.

Interesting stuff..

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the '67-72 generation had 3 lengths of stepsides--6, 8, and 9 foot or something like that...

Must be a regional thing. I remember the Boston & Maine Railroad, the MBTA, the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, the Massachusetts DOT and Mass Highway having all sorts of standard cab longbed fleetsides, crew cab longbed fleetsides, and Suburbans, but not one stepside. Interesting that some came with a steel bed floor, but I would definitely opt for the oak with some nice stainless steel strips if I ever find one.

This is good information; keep it coming! It's all coming together.....

Up in the corner of the RPO label there will be a code which designates the body style. A reg cab long bed regardless of stepside or not will read 10903, a shortbed reg cab will read 10703. The option code for a stepside is E62.

Well, you saved me a phone call. :smilewide:

Interesting stuff..

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the '67-72 generation had 3 lengths of stepsides--6, 8, and 9 foot or something like that...

Yes, the extra long one was known as a Longhorn.

Yes, the extra long one was known as a Longhorn.

It was made to especially cater to owners of camper tops, wasn't it?

C8-3.jpg

It was made to especially cater to owners of camper tops, wasn't it?

C8-3.jpg

Yes, the slide - in type. I think every one of these I've seen was also a "Camper Special".

Here's something interesting I found:

iMikes68.jpg

1967ChevroletC10Stepside-LWB-a.jpg

I like the idea of the long-wheelbase stepside on these trucks better. The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet C/K is, by far, my favorite classic pickup.

There shouldn't be any special combination of RPO codes. The E62, and the code in the corner designating long bed is all you'll find. I can do some digging to see if the part numbers for the bedsides, tailgate, etc. cover more years than '73-'77. We have an old truck book that goes back to the early 60's at least, the computer only goes back to '73. As far as the material used in the floorpan, I'll have to see if I can find RPO codes for that, I doubt it though, the older cars never listed more than just a few codes on the labels, not like todays cars. But, I will see what I can dig up tomorrow. It's much harder on the older ones, the catalogs just aren't as user friendly and seem to leave out a lot of info. GM won't be any help either. The ParTech guys don't know anymore than I do really.

At some point in the 70s, they started putting the option codes on a label on the inside of the glovebox door. Unfortunately, they tended to peel off in time - but it would be the first place I would look for the codes.

Yep, true dat, not sure what year though. We had a G-Van the other day, maybe an '83 or so and it had them on a plate on the firewall.

If you remember correctly, it would HAVE to be a longbed; that would be the ULTIMATE truck for wheeling. Crew cab for five, closed to keep the mud off of whiny pussies that don't understand there's dirt involved with off-roading, and functional bed without having to hack a Suburban up :drool:

But any truck in this configuration, or even just the bed itself would be fine; I can make it whatever else I want it to be with a donor truck or two.

What draws you to the longbed step? The shorties work best for wheeling cause you don't drag frame rails as much with the short wheelbase...When you get to the peak of a hill... I can look in the library of truth for your questions anywho ...but long beds don't always go over the top, they back down in reverse a lot.

K-5s rule off road. So do IH scouts.

envoystuck.jpg

fordtest.jpg

peakpark.jpg

Modified Scout

383scout.jpg

What draws you to the longbed step?

I'd imagine he is drawn to it because of the novelty of the vehicle. It's not something you see everyday, and manages to be different without having to stick out like a sore thumb.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0