Looking for information

XP715

I was doing a little thinking recently about finding a project pickup at some point down the road, and the 1973-1987 C/K pickups (and '73-'91 Suburbans/Blazers/Jimmys) are the natural choice because of their driveability, modularity, and aftermarket support, and also because they hold a special place in my heart because they are the trucks I grew up with and remember vividly from my childhood as my father, most other male family members of mine, most of my friend's fathers, and virtually all of my father's friends and acquaintances drove them. They had all different sizes and configurations; long beds and short, crew cabs and standard, fleetside and stepside, two wheel drive and four in all different tonnages; you name it. But there is one super rare bird that none of them had, that no aftermarket parts distributor even acknowledges existence of that I have always wanted:

The 1973-1987 Chevrolet/GMC C/K stepside LONGBED.

Yes, they made them. In super limited numbers. I have seen exactly one in person, in passing on the road, and this was at least a decade ago. They are virtually nonexistent in photographs. In fact, after about an hour of research of on Google Image Search and through various websites, I was able to find only one set of four photographs:

longstep.jpg

This is a 1977 Chevrolet C10 stepside longbed. This is a real unmolested truck that left the factory with this bed; it is not an aftermarket conversion or a home-built bed. Beyond that, what I know about these trucks I could write on a postage stamp. GM RPO code E62 designates a stepside bed, but I am not sure what code or combination of codes with that equals a stepside longbed. So, here are the questions I'm seeking answers to if any of you have this information or could point me in a direction:

- What RPO code or combination of codes should I be looking for to discover this rare option?

- What years was this configuration produced?

- In what numbers was this configuration produced?

- Is there any production breakdown of trucks built in this configuration (Chevrolet vs. GMC, 2WD vs. 4WD, 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton, etc.)?

- Was a steel bed floor optional in this configuration, or only oak with steel strips?

- Did the factory make a completely different special bed for this year range ('73-'87), or is it simply the previous generation ('67-'72) longbed with the '73-'87 stepside fenders and a different set of "running boards" on it? (Very important; this could mean the difference between being able to make one and having to scour the countryside to find one)

Any help any of you are able to give me on getting information on these rare trucks is greatly appreciated; I need to own one of these before I die!

Edited by XP715

Hmmm ... for some reason this looks very familiar to me. :scratchchin:

I know I have a great uncle who owns an early Seventies Chevrolet C1500 stepside, in the same color as the truck you posted. I am not sure if it was the long-wheelbase model, however. I've never thought to notice, but when I call on my memory, it seems like it could in fact be one. If it turns out it is the model you are looking for, maybe I'll see if I can get in contact with him and see if he possibly saved the window sticker as I am pretty certain he purchased it new.

When I am visiting relatives again, I'll try to remember to see if my grandfather can call him up and ask him if he saved the window sticker and if I can see some ordering codes from it. And the truck usually sets near the road, so I can definitely determine if it is the model you are looking for without much hassle. :P

Edited by YellowJacket894

UPDATE: After scouring the web for another hour, I stumbled upon an excellent site with an ever-expanding collection of GM sales brochures for the 1973-1987 C/K pickups and 1973-1991 Suburbans/Blazers/Jimmys, and found the following information:

- The 8-foot stepside bed is first mentioned in the 1973 brochure, not mentioned every single year, but IS mentioned as late as the 1982 brochure. The 1983-1986 pickup brochures were not available, however, so it COULD be offered later than '82.

- All C-series pickups had the option of the 6 1/2-foot or 8-foot stepside bed, as did the K10. The K20 stepside, however, was ONLY equipped with the 8-foot bed. (Ideally a K20 with the 8-foot stepside bed is what I would want to find; this is good news!)

aaaaaaaaand some photographs:

74longstep.jpg

75longstep.jpg

81longstep.jpg

Still on the hunt for information. Once again, thanks in advance to any of you that are able to give me anything on these trucks!

These trucks did exist, but yes, they are rare to see today. I grew up in a suburb of Trenton and there was a service station that owned a dark blue Chevy since the '80s. I will say that it was between a '82-'87 model, as it had the square look in the front fenders and I want to say it was probably more like an '85-'87, as it had the updated grille with the headlight/turnsignal combo (no turn signals in the bumper, like the '81-'84 trucks had). I've been by the station lately and it has changed owners (all new station), and the cars & trucks (including the longbed stepside) that were part of the back lot, are all gone. Other than that bit of info, I can't really give you anything else to go on. Maybe our resident truck wiz - Wildmanjoe - will be able to give you more useful information to aid in your research.

I haven't seen one of those in ages...I remember seeing them in Florida in the '80s in state hwy dept livery. I vaguely remember once seeing a stepside w/ a 4dr crew cab body...don't recall if it was a short or long bed, though.

I haven't seen one of those in ages...I remember seeing them in Florida in the '80s in state hwy dept livery. I vaguely remember once seeing a stepside w/ a 4dr crew cab body...don't recall if it was a short or long bed, though.

If you remember correctly, it would HAVE to be a longbed; that would be the ULTIMATE truck for wheeling. Crew cab for five, closed to keep the mud off of whiny pussies that don't understand there's dirt involved with off-roading, and functional bed without having to hack a Suburban up :drool:

But any truck in this configuration, or even just the bed itself would be fine; I can make it whatever else I want it to be with a donor truck or two.

I believe they were produced every year of that bodystyle.

For some reason, they were popular with government fleets, I remember seeing them often with Conrail or Amtrak colors and ID.

I know some at least had a steel floor in the bed, and I suspect that the wooden floor was phased out at some point during the bodystyle run.

I've always thought that these were cool and gave that bodystyle a bit more visual oomph than the fleetsides had.

Up in the corner of the RPO label there will be a code which designates the body style. A reg cab long bed regardless of stepside or not will read 10903, a shortbed reg cab will read 10703. The option code for a stepside is E62.

For some reason, they were popular with government fleets, I remember seeing them often with Conrail or Amtrak colors and ID.

I know some at least had a steel floor in the bed, and I suspect that the wooden floor was phased out at some point during the bodystyle run.

I've always thought that these were cool and gave that bodystyle a bit more visual oomph than the fleetsides had.

Interesting stuff..

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the '67-72 generation had 3 lengths of stepsides--6, 8, and 9 foot or something like that...

Must be a regional thing. I remember the Boston & Maine Railroad, the MBTA, the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, the Massachusetts DOT and Mass Highway having all sorts of standard cab longbed fleetsides, crew cab longbed fleetsides, and Suburbans, but not one stepside. Interesting that some came with a steel bed floor, but I would definitely opt for the oak with some nice stainless steel strips if I ever find one.

This is good information; keep it coming! It's all coming together.....

There shouldn't be any special combination of RPO codes. The E62, and the code in the corner designating long bed is all you'll find. I can do some digging to see if the part numbers for the bedsides, tailgate, etc. cover more years than '73-'77. We have an old truck book that goes back to the early 60's at least, the computer only goes back to '73. As far as the material used in the floorpan, I'll have to see if I can find RPO codes for that, I doubt it though, the older cars never listed more than just a few codes on the labels, not like todays cars. But, I will see what I can dig up tomorrow. It's much harder on the older ones, the catalogs just aren't as user friendly and seem to leave out a lot of info. GM won't be any help either. The ParTech guys don't know anymore than I do really.

If you remember correctly, it would HAVE to be a longbed; that would be the ULTIMATE truck for wheeling. Crew cab for five, closed to keep the mud off of whiny pussies that don't understand there's dirt involved with off-roading, and functional bed without having to hack a Suburban up :drool:

But any truck in this configuration, or even just the bed itself would be fine; I can make it whatever else I want it to be with a donor truck or two.

What draws you to the longbed step? The shorties work best for wheeling cause you don't drag frame rails as much with the short wheelbase...When you get to the peak of a hill... I can look in the library of truth for your questions anywho ...but long beds don't always go over the top, they back down in reverse a lot.

K-5s rule off road. So do IH scouts.

envoystuck.jpg

fordtest.jpg

peakpark.jpg

Modified Scout

383scout.jpg

Good luck with your next search for a needle in the automotive haystack...

As I mentioned in my txt messages, I do not have any info for you on these

super-rare beasts. I can honestly say I've never seen one to the best of my

recollection, or it's been at least a few years, a truck like this stands out!

If you can, get the GMC for the extra, EXTRA extra rarity. :D

Edited by Sixty8panther

Oo, I didn't check in here until tonight.

>>"- Is there any production breakdown of trucks built in this configuration (Chevrolet vs. GMC, 2WD vs. 4WD, 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton, etc.)?"<<

'73 Chevy~

C-10 Step-Side 8' bed (#CC10904) : 7040 units

K-10 Step-Side 8' bed (#CK10903) : 417 units

C-20 Step-Side 8' bed (#CC20903) : 4654 units

K-20 Step-Side 8' bed (#CK20904) : 525 units

C-30 Step-Side 8' bed (#CC30903) : 1939 units

No K-30 in '73.

{I suspect the numerics are switched for the C/K-10- they're inconsistant: -904 vs. -903}

In '74, Chevy starts consolidating production totals, ie: "all C-10/K-10, except Suburban: 445,699 units".

GMC lists NO production breakdowns after 1926 (at least thru '86); only model or calendar year totals.

>>"- What years was this configuration produced?"<<

In the post-'72 style: '73-'86 (which is the last year my source lists), tho as you alluded to, it was available before '73 also. In fact, a random mention: '70 C-30 Step-Side 9' bed : 2101 units.

Edited by balthazar

In fact, a random mention: '70 C-30 Step-Side 9' bed : 2101 units.

Just for clarification, GM trucks through the ages have always had 8' and 9' beds available on the stepside models. Just look at the mid-'50s GM trucks for proof... 1-ton Chevy (3800) & GMC (250) pickups had the 9' bed if a pickup box was ordered (not a chasis truck). My grandfather's '55 GMC was a 102 - this designated the 8' stepside bed, and of course Chevy offered the same option, look for a 3200 model. And while I don't know the model designation after 1959, I know that the longbed stepside, at least in 8' measurement, continued through to the late '80s.

And FYI - the "new" stepside box was introduced in 1954 and was used all the way up to 1987, with the tailgate stamping and fenders being the only changes throughout the years. So essentially, you could find an 8' bed anywhere from 1954-1987 and probably just change out the fenders & tailgate to reflect the year you desire, assuming you can find the fenders and tailgate (fenders are probably availbale from LMC Truck and other parts places, but I know original, non-damaged tailgates are hard to find).

Good luck with your search, and I'll second Sixty8's recommendation that you find a GMC for that extra rarity factor :AH-HA_wink:

I checked and it appears there are different #'s, and the wheelbase lengths were lsightly different, but it will work. He's right they used the same beds for years, up to '87. I've seen several trucks here with that stepside bed on the '88 and up body, so it can be made to work regardless.

Wow, this is all very interesting information; thank you everybody for digging into your available sources to help me get to the bottom of this stuff. Judging by the numbers balthazar posted, it seems to be a very rare truck indeed; especially since most everybody's sightings of them have been in construction/industrial/municipal livery, meaning they get used and abused and thrown away. Who knows how many are left? It is also very good news to hear that the same stepside box has been used since 1954 with different fenders and steps, meaning I could make one if worse comes to worse. However, I will try as hard as I can to find a real one first since I think the hunt is half the fun. And yellowjacket is right about the reason I want one. When was the last time you all saw one? It'd be neat to have the same truck as a lot of people and a completely different one than anybody at the same time. The search is on!

>>"Just for clarification, GM trucks through the ages have always had 8' and 9' beds available on the stepside models."<<

I see the Chevy 9'er prior to '73, but not '73-74 (did not check further). The pre-'73 9'er was on a 133" wheelbase, and the post '72 8'er was on a 131.5"- indicative, or are my listings missing something/in error?

Frankly, a 9-foot bed is something I associate with the '40s (Dodge had one), and a 'modern' 9-foot bed is foreign to me. I see now I was just unaware, but is it possible the '73 redesign 'standardized' the beds to 8' max? {checking...} I see nothing longer than 8' listed for '77 or '80, also.

BTW- in '72 at least, the Long Horn is listed as a 8.5-footer, not 9'.

XP- having the same bed 54-87 points to the likelihood that all were the oak/stainless bed floor, no?

Edited by balthazar

Balthazar, that's what I get for typing fast when I should have been out of the house! I should have stated that I know the 9' beds made it through to 1959, and I'm sure it was available on the '60s trucks. I would imagine that after the mid-'60s redesign, the 9' bed was no longer popular. You have the proof, I just have what's in my memory :blink:

>>"Just for clarification, GM trucks through the ages have always had 8' and 9' beds available on the stepside models."<<

I see the Chevy 9'er prior to '73, but not '73-74 (did not check further). The pre-'73 9'er was on a 133" wheelbase, and the post '72 8'er was on a 131.5"- indicative, or are my listings missing something/in error?

Frankly, a 9-foot bed is something I associate with the '40s (Dodge had one), and a 'modern' 9-foot bed is foreign to me. I see now I was just unaware, but is it possible the '73 redesign 'standardized' the beds to 8' max? {checking...} I see nothing longer than 8' listed for '77 or '80, also.

BTW- in '72 at least, the Long Horn is listed as a 8.5-footer, not 9'.

XP- having the same bed 54-87 points to the likelihood that all were the oak/stainless bed floor, no?

I think you are right on all counts, except the bed materials. I am all but certain that a steel bed was offered and eventually became standard in the stepside models. One counterpoint to that is that I have seen a few fleetsides from the '67-'72 vintage with factory wooden beds. In any case I don't think GM used stainless in any of the wooden bed floors - all of the originals I remember were standard painted steel.

• 1 month later...