Japan Also Put Tariffs On US TVS In The US.

When the Chinese started to gain market share in TV.s from the Japanese, the Japanese cried. so congress put tariffs on Chinese televisions. On RCA. Magnavox and New American companies such as Polaroid, Apex, Advent and others who use Chinese manufactures to compete with Japan.The tariffs were so high these companies can not manufacture regular TVs in China for their price advantage. At Target stores they have a whole new line of electronic products called Truetech. DVD players, DVD recorders, Radios, LCDS, Telephones etc. all made in China, but their line of regular TVs are made in Korea because of the High Chinese Tariffs. Can not the Big Japanese Companies compete with the new little Chinese companies? the US consumer has to pay more now for their TVs. thanks to Japan and Congress. So far the Tariffs are not on LCDS and Plasma Televisions. So go buy Viewsonic, Maxent, Proview' Syntax by Olivia, Westinghouse, Tatung ,Sampo Polaroid, Apex, Advent and others, the more competition the lower the prices. Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart. Circuit City all complained about the Tariffs but I guess the Japanese have more money to pay off the congressman.

It's about the unfair trade acts of Japan... but what does this have to do with GM? And why is it here?

[post="33061"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Because When Japan has a unfair advatage with GM and Ford nobody cares about them. But when Japan cries the US Congress listens.
Just showing the double standard. Edited by rez7777

It is a very valid posting. All through the '60s and '70s, Toshiba, Hitachi and others received sugar importa quotas (what the hell does that have to do with buliding televisions?) so that they could import sugar, make money and export televisions to NOrth America at a loss. One by one, major American electronics manufacturers were run out of business. Zenith - to use one example, was the leading manufacturer of televisions in America. In 1977, Zenith had 22% of the television market in the States, employing 20,000 people and selling nearly a billion dollars (1977 dollars!) worth. Does anybody know of Zenith today? In 1961, Zenith tried to sell televisions in Japan. They enlisted two major Japanese trading companies, C.Itoh and Nichimen to help them market their televisions in Japan. Strangely, neither company was able to get permission from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry to export dollars to buy Zenith televisions. In 1975, 5.5 million Japanese sets were sold in Japan while only 11,000 American sets were sold there. By 1978, the imports were virtually shut out of the Japanese market. Does any of this sound familiar? MITI is God over there. Any American company wanting to do business has to go through them. Good luck. Why is it that not Ford, not GM, not BMW, not Fiat, not VW - nobody has cracked the Japanese market EVER?

The time has come for the USA to put SEVERE tarriffs on any country (not just Japan, and including Canada) participating in tampering with natural economics to give an unatural boost in competetive advantage. If we do that then GM (and yes Ford) can again show their true might in a level playing field. At that point, the land of the rising sun will soon be the land of the setting sun.

It won't happen. Never will until we as a people come forward and ORGANIZE (Jeeze I know some people HATE that word) in order to do so. It's terrible what these other companies can get away with.....yet they continue to take advantage of the "Free" America. How much more can we be "free" without having to pay the ultimate penalty? I sell phones that are produced in Korea and Japan and must support then. My "customer service" is located in 3rd world countries. I'm just so glad I can sell. It's bad. That's the country we face each and every day.

It won't happen. Never will until we as a people come forward and ORGANIZE (Jeeze I know some people HATE that word) in order to do so.

It's terrible what these other companies can get away with.....yet they continue to take advantage of the "Free" America.

How much more can we be "free" without having to pay the ultimate penalty? I sell phones that are produced in Korea and Japan and must support then. My "customer service" is located in 3rd world countries. I'm just so glad I can sell. It's bad. That's the country we face each and every day.

[post="33132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Remember that the countries are just as guilty as the companies. Second, even at a level playing field we still might have tech support in a 3rd world country, and phones from Korea and Japan. If that is the case (in which quite a few will be) then the USA has
evolved into a different kind of economy, one that many people still won't grasp and take advantage of.

I thought that Zenith was the sole remaining American TV manufacturer. I also heard that they were getting some sort of gov't subsidy as a result -- something about the Dept of Defense needing an American-based TV/CRT for national security reasons. That could all be BS; but it's something I remember hearing a while ago..

I thought that Zenith was the sole remaining American TV manufacturer.  I also heard that they were getting some sort of gov't subsidy as a result -- something about the Dept of Defense needing an American-based TV/CRT for national security reasons.  That could all be BS; but it's something I remember hearing a while ago..

[post="33336"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Zeith was, I believe, the last US TV manufacturer until it was absorbed by LG Electronics out of Korea, becoming a fully-owned subsidiary in 1999.

LOL Just more examples of the shady asian business technique I've been preaching about forever. Get used to it folks, soon it'll happen in autos too... Mark my words. Apparently America should be happy with our "Service" industry and that's all, well, what little bit of it that can't be stolen away or sold out. No defense, no manufacturing, no nothing else.... Consume and service that's our motto. have fun working at Wal-Mart america! america: "Servicing" other nations proudly for years now. It makes me sick... then again, so does this country in general anymore If this is indeed true (Which I heard it WAS being voted on long ago) then it's a sad day in america and it's laughable that another country can petition our government for protection of thier industry from our industry.... It's to the point of stupid now... And I'm sure the japs are laughing at our dumbasses all the way to the bank, just like they have been for 30 years now. The ultimate sellout. Anybody have a link to this for evidence????

:bowdown: to your global gods you spineless little puppets :bowdown: embrace that new economy your going to pass down to your children wave that American flag high how much are those two little bombs going to cost us anyhow ? When will the debt be paid and why are we paying it in the first place ? Wanna better your country? Declare war on the US, works everytime. If I go and shoot a Congressman will they come to my house and build me a mansion? What do you think the Japanese are stupid enough to open their doors and put their population out of work, they too have many mouths to feed........they have pride, dignity and will take care of their own house. One day this country will have a larger overrun population and their all going to work in the new "information" planet. Hey, I got some info for you ! Grow a brain !

Must be nice to live in that kind of society.

[post="34262"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They are also for the most part a homogenus society whereas here in the US we are country of mixed ethnicity, religions, class, creed all with differing and competing claims to a slice of the american dream. I do not see how we can ever become a united front against all this unfair competition when we can not even get along with each other. For the most part Japan does not have to worry about most of this stuff.

LOL

Just more examples of the shady asian business technique I've been preaching about forever.

Get used to it folks, soon it'll happen in autos too... Mark my words.

Apparently America should be happy with our "Service" industry and that's all, well, what little bit of it that can't be stolen away or sold out. No defense, no manufacturing, no nothing else.... Consume and service that's our motto. have fun working at Wal-Mart america!

america: "Servicing" other nations proudly for years now.

It makes me sick... then again, so does this country in general anymore

If this is indeed true (Which I heard it WAS being voted on long ago) then it's a sad day in america and it's laughable that another country can petition our government for protection of thier industry from our industry.... It's to the point of stupid now... And I'm sure the japs are laughing at our dumbasses all the way to the bank, just like they have been for 30 years now.

The ultimate sellout.

Anybody have a link to this for evidence????

[post="33372"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

((((A FREAKIN MEN MAN!!--A FREAKIN MEN!!))) We are becoming a bunch of FRENCH WATERS!!!

prinzSD, you are right on the money, but that is also America's greatest strength - the integration and absorption of ideas and energy of cultures and nationalities from around the world. Asia will never have this advantage because their society is too homogenous, too xenophobic. As long as America continues to encourage and promote outside ideas, she will always be #1. Canada has much to learn about this. Although we encourage many different cultures and nationalities to live here, our route has been to encourage them to be separate but equal. This method, called "multiculturalism" is leading to the fractious, adversarial relationships we are starting to see in Toronto and Vancouver. America's "culture" is far stronger in encouraging these new people to become "American" while taking advantage of what these new people have to offer.