Armada sinking?

Nissan to Stop Building Quest, Armada and Infiniti QX56
Link to Kicking Tires

Nissan has announced that it will stop producing the Quest minivan, Armada and full-size SUV and its Infiniti sibling the QX56 when the Mississippi factory they’re made in switches to building commercial vehicles in early 2010.

The company has confirmed it will build not said if it will build future versions of the slow-sellers they just don't know where. The only word from Nissan is that final decisions have not been made, but there is the “intention” to build them.

“When we get to the end of each vehicle's cycle, we look at the market,” a spokesperson said. Sounds to us like company speak that Nissan will not build new versions of the three two. If it actually announced that fact today, though, it could impact sales of the 2009 models that will still be built and sold on new-car lots.

All three Both vehicles were either aging in their segment or poor performers, so seeing them go probably won’t hurt Nissan, which has seen better success with new smaller offerings like the Versa and the Rogue compact SUV.

What do you think? Would the Quest, Armada and QX56 be missed?

I would think the market for 5000-6000lb SUVs is tanking in general these days... what's with the strikethroughs in the post, BTW?

From what I have read elsewhere, the announcement only included the Quest & QX56. The strikethroughs are to fill in the gaps left out of the official Nissan announcement.

I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but, I live in Georgia, and I saw a Nissan X-Trail driving down the street, and last time I checked the closest place to get one of those was Mexico.....is it comming to the US?

It was sold in Canada also..probably a snowbird on their way to Florida.. I saw one here in Phoenix a few months ago with Alberta plates.

From what I've read, it's not sold in Ca anymore, the Rogue is taking it's place, so we probably won't see it sold in the US.

Edited by moltar

These 3 won't be missed, Nissan has the Rogue, Xterra, and Murano (which I think are ugly) for SUVs and they were always geared more toward sportiness, big trucks don't fit their image. They can always make the Pathfinder off the Frontier platform if they need a bigger SUV. The demographics of Nissan buyers may not include families with 3+ kids, so maybe they don't feel they need a big vehicle.

I think more big SUVs from other brands will get cut in the future, GM is cutting the H2, I could see them dumping the Yukon or Ford getting rid of the Expedition. They won't be big profit margin kings when gas is $4-5 a gallon.

Two of the most hideous examples of SUV excess - good riddance to them.

Other than the new GT-R, (and maybe the 350Z, although it isn't my cup of tea) could Nissan build anything any uglier?

IMHO Nissan just needs to go away. With products like these I seem to find myself hating Nissan about as badly as everyone else around here hates Toyota.

Chris

Other than the new GT-R, (and maybe the 350Z, although it isn't my cup of tea) could Nissan build anything any uglier?

IMHO Nissan just needs to go away. With products like these I seem to find myself hating Nissan about as badly as everyone else around here hates Toyota.

Chris

Personally, I feel Nissan is a great brand. They definitely have much more appealing products compared to Honda and Toyota in my opinion. Granted, they have some real fuglies as well. (I really hate the design of the new Murano.)

The G, M, and FX ranges are all pretty nice. The X-Terra and Frontier are great trucks (never liked the Titan.) The 350Z is a great car (though it is in need of an update...), the Maxima and Altima are nice cars, and the GT-R is possibly the best performance vehicle at any price (and although it is ugly, it should really light a fire under cars like the corvette and the 911 when it comes to the future of performance...they really pushed the envelope with the GT-R...because of it I foresee some great things in the future...even more so than what we could've imagined without the GT-R. Though, I am very excited to see the ZR1 in action. I can't wait to see how it will blow everything away. :AH-HA_wink: )

Yes.

Der Neue Nissan Murano

2009_nissan_murano_1.jpg

Or... a baleen whale with down syndrome...... not that I'd want to offend baleen whales with down syndrome.....

The official release implies there will be a next0generation QX56 and Quest minivan. The QX56 does not do too badly considering. The logical site is Smyrna, alongside the XTerra, Frontier and Pathfinder (in fact it's the only other site in the US). The new products are a commercial van, Classes 1 to 3, and new trucks in classes 1 through 5.

Chris

Nissan's fine, their JDM cars are nice. It's really just the North American ones are really bad.

As I always say, I'm always glad to take the G35 badged as a Nissan Skyline, but I will never buy an Infiniti.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, the "trying-too-hard-to-fit-in" era is coming to an end for the Japanese brands.

I always thought the Armada was a massive waste of resources (in both the building and the driving), which made me question Nissan's sanity when they promptly proceeded to introduce the even less sensible QX56.

With this news, Toyota will now attempt to claim that they hold some sort of dominance over Nissan in the SUV field. On the contrary, I would argue that Toyota has always had too many damned SUVs and should probably begin their own effort to cut back somewhat. (For instance, why do we need both the Sequoia AND the Land Cruiser, or the Highlander AND the Venza?)

The news about the Quest is a little more surprising, only because I thought Nissan planned to replace it with a more mainstream model next time around. Maybe they've decided, like GM, that trying to compete with the Honda Odyssey is a fool's errand. Or, alternatively, maybe they'll just rebadge a Dodge Caravan like Volkswagen is doing now.

Chris

nissan makes good cars man, I drive an 04 Titan and I just have to say its the best truck out there, I just hope Nissan doesn't decides to kill it too cause if they do kill it then I would agree with you that nissan needs to just go away

nissan makes good cars man, I drive an 04 Titan and I just have to say its the best truck out there, I just hope Nissan doesn't decides to kill it too cause if they do kill it then I would agree with you that nissan needs to just go away

The next gen Titan is going to be a badge-engineered Dodge Ram, according to recent reports.

The next gen Titan is going to be a badge-engineered Dodge Ram, according to recent reports.

yeah which sucks because that means that nissan won't be offering the V8 Endurance engine which was supposedly tuned by Nissan to make 390hp .