I Think I Really Like This

clicky

Never thought I'd entertain reentering the world of truck ownership again (much less go through with it), but this truck really does something for me. The color helps a lot, and the short, squat look of the regular cab shortbed means it shouldn't be too much of a bear to live with. With the 4.8L it should get decent mileage.

I like the name of the town it is located in, lol. :smilewide: :AH-HA_wink:

It is a sharp ride, Z. I am with Camino on the pinstripe, however. I despise that stuff. That's why I bought a stripe-off wheel and took it to the sides of my old S-10 after it officially became mine. Hard to imagine something so simple as pinstripe can do damage to the design of a vehicle.

I agree, lose the pinstripe, wheels and the body side moldings. We had a short wide reg cab with a 4.8. Talk about a fun truck to drive!! I miss it alot. I can't remember the last time I saw an LS SW reg cab. Pretty cool. The 4.8 is a torquey(sp?) little bastard, I think it's faster than the 5.3 personally. Go for it, that's a really great truck and a good year. Just change the fuel filter religiously and keep it over 1/4 tank and you'll never have to deal with the fuel pump which is the only thing that really ever goes wrong with them. It's a gorgeous truck!!

I agree, lose the pinstripe, wheels and the body side moldings. We had a short wide reg cab with a 4.8. Talk about a fun truck to drive!! I miss it alot. I can't remember the last time I saw an LS SW reg cab. Pretty cool. The 4.8 is a torquey(sp?) little bastard, I think it's faster than the 5.3 personally. Go for it, that's a really great truck and a good year. Just change the fuel filter religiously and keep it over 1/4 tank and you'll never have to deal with the fuel pump which is the only thing that really ever goes wrong with them. It's a gorgeous truck!!

Good call on the bodyside moldings.

GM sort of cheaped out on them in the later 800s, Intead of thinner moldings with grooves that went along the length of the truck, they started using that fat, plain slab style on the door only. Looks like crap compared to the earlier 800s. Been tempted to yank it off of my Silverado.

Very sweet truck, z. But then you could have expected me to say that, it being a shortbed reg cab and all. I liked my '02 Base Plus 4.8L Silvy a lot, I put a Tahoe grille in it (more chrome), billet bowtie, Gibson exhaust, debadged it, put Michelin LTX tires on, an Escalade instrument cluster, and a GMC Sierra seat with the nicer cloth and center armrest. It was a huge mistake for me to trade it on a stupid '03 ION Quad Coupe, but I wanted to save money on vehicle expenses, with a new mortgage, etc. A valid reason, but the wrong car.

Geez, enough blathering. I would say go for it, there aren't too many of these trucks around in such beautiful shape. And lose the pinstripes.

Good call on the bodyside moldings.

GM sort of cheaped out on them in the later 800s, Intead of thinner moldings with grooves that went along the length of the truck, they started using that fat, plain slab style on the door only. Looks like crap compared to the earlier 800s. Been tempted to yank it off of my Silverado.

Well, IMHO, they looked a lot more modern and cleaner (as much as moldings can) than the original ridged ones.

This looks like a cool truck, and I even like the Arrival Blue color...I loathe blue, but it's one of those "cool enough" shades to sway me.

Well, IMHO, they looked a lot more modern and cleaner (as much as moldings can) than the original ridged ones.

This looks like a cool truck, and I even like the Arrival Blue color...I loathe blue, but it's one of those "cool enough" shades to sway me.

To each his own, but they look out of place and tacked-on to me.

Especially being on the door only.

It seems to have been a trend across the board. Sometime in the late 90s and early 00s, manufacturers stopped caring about whether or not the bed was protected against dings:

2002:

f5a3_4.JPG

2003:

10hy5.jpg

1997:

f202_12.JPG

2001:

68fb_1.JPG

and of course, anything Ford and Chevy can do, Toyota can do better:

2002:

tundragallery.jpg

2003:

3f7d_1.JPG

Needless to say, if this Silverado did happen to end up in my possession (a long shot), the first order of business would be to yank that molding off. It really interrupts the look of the side.

o'blu and gmpartsgirl: What kind of gas mileage did you pull down with your 4.8 powered trucks?

Here's our old one, without the wheels, pinstripe and moldings. This is what one should look like, excluding maybe the 20's, they ride like $h! but look great!!

100_0769-1.jpg

100_0770.jpg

100_0768-1.jpg

Edited by gmpartsgirl

Whoa, that's hot.

Did the 20s alter the ride height at all? I can see that as a reason for dropping mileage, though just by eyeballing it, yours looks about the same height as the blue one. FWIW, my sister gets ~20 hwy in her 5.3L Avalanche.

The dealer I bought my Cobalt from used to send 4.8L short-bed Siverados out to a conversion place. They'd install leather seats, the Silverado SS front, a dual exhaust system, and a rear rollpan with integrated outlets for the exhaust. They sounded great, and some even came wth a stick. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Here's our old one, without the wheels, pinstripe and moldings. This is what one should look like, excluding maybe the 20's, they ride like $h! but look great!!

100_0769-1.jpg

100_0770.jpg

100_0768-1.jpg

That is a nice looking truck.....

I've considered getting a WT ext cab Slivy and throwing a good set of wheels (a it smaller than those) and tires on it...

Definitely a hot looking truck. While I do prefer the '99-'02 front end, it's hard to argue when something turns out as good as this Li'l Red Truck (sorry Dodge). z, these pictures should really give you inspiration.

My favorite thing about this truck was the simplicity of it. It also had a billett grill and the bowtie was painted red. It also had a flowmasterbut no chrome tip, not a fan of the tips.

Edited by gmpartsgirl