Finally! Somebody Target's Toyota!

HUMVEE

This is interesting, I'm suprised nobody found it first! http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif
http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/attack...4e_20051024.htm

[post="33251"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A good read, but I have to say that Toyota may be making trucks with poor milage but people want them. The Highlander is a joke, 1.5 mpg better than the Regular Highlander.. Bah!

A good read, but I have to say that Toyota may be making trucks with poor milage but people want them. The Highlander is a joke, 1.5 mpg better than the Regular Highlander.. Bah!

[post="33255"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's because Toyota did the same dumbass thing Honda did with the Accord - bolt the electric motor onto the V6 powertrain so it could make more power (aw-ho-ho-ho!) instead of better economy.

That's because Toyota did the same dumbass thing Honda did with the Accord - bolt the electric motor onto the V6 powertrain so it could make more power (aw-ho-ho-ho!) instead of better economy.

[post="33279"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The funny thing is that the added weight offsets the performance gain.

The funny thing is that the added weight offsets the performance gain.

[post="33572"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually the HH ( Highlander Hybrid ) is a lot faster than the regular H. The electric motor really gives it some great low end torque. I believe 0-60 for the HH is like 7.3 seconds or something like that whereas the regular V6 H goes to 60 in 8.5 seconds. Although as has been pointed out, mpg gain is minimal only about 2 or so. But HH was never meant to be a fuel efficient hybrid but rather a performance hybrid.

About the only article I could find about acceleration/weight. Feel free to post something else if you can find it.

http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2006/to.../testdrive.html

However, the hybrid's extra 420 lbs. of weight and the fact that each electric motor only operates at certain engine speeds does lessen the power advantage.

The result is a vehicle that is not only the most fuel-efficient SUV in its class, but also accelerates respectably, going from  zero to 60 miles per hour in around 7.3 seconds, on par with the V6-equipped regular Highlander.

Actually the HH ( Highlander Hybrid ) is a lot faster than the regular H. The electric motor really gives it some great low end torque. I believe 0-60 for the HH is like 7.3 seconds or something like that whereas the regular V6 H goes to 60 in 8.5 seconds. Although as has been pointed out, mpg gain is minimal only about 2 or so. But HH was never meant to be a fuel efficient hybrid but rather a performance hybrid.

[post="34276"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So how does that extra 420lbs affect the handling? Why would you spend the premium to get 2mpg better for a little more straight line performance, and added weight? Wouldnt someone rather spend 1/3 less than it costs for a hybrid for a better engine like a V8, that gets the same performance without all the added weight, and probably better handling, if they cared about performance? Hybrids shouldnt be meant for performance. A turbo works much better for that.

About the only article I could find about acceleration/weight.  Feel free to post something else if you can find it.

http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2006/to.../testdrive.html

[post="34297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/did/6895261

In April, Toyota's Highlander hybrid will go 0-to-60 almost a full second faster than a conventional Highlander.

I think MSNBC is more correct than FORBES. Other reviewers also said that the HH is quicker than the regular H V6. But nobody buys a hybrid for drag racing anyway. People who buyhybrids rightly or wrongly think they are helping the enviornment, lessening our dependance on foreign oil etc. I agree, from a purely financial point of view, Hybrids do not make any sense. And a front heavy hybrid certainly isnt going be a good handling vehicle. But a lot of people are guided by hype rather than logic. Edited by andy82471

I'm sure its slightly faster in 0-60....but not that much faster. Most I've seen have it within half a second but I couldn't find many articles to compare the two. Slightly faster + Slightly more fuel efficient still doesn't add up to an 8K premium.

<_< More interesting is that People say Toyota and Honda are so good for the enviornement and the add's here in Seattle by Honda that states to let these people get ahead of you cause they put out cleaner air, are better for everyone. Go ahead and buy them a donut and coffee. :bs: People seem to have forgotten that these Hybreds have a whole bunch of new components that have their own toxic side effects. In fact if we look at the Hybrids that have larger battery pack's. The production of extra battery packs greatly increases the waste material that is toxic. People are truly blinded by marketing :bs: than real facts. I will stay with my Suburban for safelty, power and ease on the roads. I say :bs: to Honda and :Toyota:

• 2 months later...

<_<  More interesting is that People say Toyota and Honda are so good for the enviornement and the add's here in Seattle by Honda that states to let these people get ahead of you cause they put out cleaner air, are better for everyone.  Go ahead and buy them a donut and coffee.

:bs:  People seem to have forgotten that these Hybreds have a whole bunch of new components that have their own toxic side effects.  In fact if we look at the Hybrids that have larger battery pack's.  The production of extra battery packs greatly increases the waste material that is toxic.

[post="37624"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, but batteries are usually sent to special collection centers, so they don't put toxins in the environment. And hybrids are cleaner, BTW. If you don't believe me, look at the emissions for your Suburban and compare it to the Prius for example.

And before you say I'm here just to cause trouble, let it be known that I'm somewhat of a GM fan (just look at my avatar).

Just telling it like it is...

Yeah, but batteries are usually sent to special collection centers, so they don't put toxins in the environment. And hybrids are cleaner, BTW. If you don't believe me, look at the emissions for your Suburban and compare it to the Prius for example.

And before you say I'm here just to cause trouble, let it be known that I'm somewhat of a GM fan (just look at my avatar).

[post="81232"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We appreciate everybodies opinions ApolloBoy, but beware, when the members want to debate...a debate it will be! Hope you're good with facts.

Welcome aboard and if you have any issues, please feel free to let the staff members know of them.

The lithium ion batteries used in the Prius are fully recyclable. The lead batteries in the Silverado hybrid aren't. Not sure about the GMT900 dual-mode transmission or BAS hybrid (VUE).

We appreciate everybodies opinions ApolloBoy, but beware, when the members want to debate...a debate it will be! Hope you're good with facts.

Welcome aboard and if you have any issues, please feel free to let the staff members know of them.

[post="81238"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks for the welcome; I've had my share of debates on other forums so I guess you could say I'm a veteran. :)

The lithium ion batteries used in the Prius are fully recyclable. The lead batteries in the Silverado hybrid aren't. Not sure about the GMT900 dual-mode transmission or BAS hybrid (VUE).

[post="81241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I did some research on the GMT900 hybrids, and they seem to use lead-acid batteries as well. The VUE Green Line uses nickel-hydride batteries.

But HH was never meant to be a fuel efficient hybrid but rather a performance hybrid.

Smells like a marketing 'mop-up' after the engineering & testing was done.

[post="81333"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Toyota & Honda have a LOT of experience in that department.

I can't view the article... it just gives me a "404 error" :(

Im warming up to Honda overall. My friend who truly is an import car enthusiast (he has an old Turbo supra and a modified accord and spends more money under the hood than on its appearance) used to bag on honda until he actually bought a few older ones and was surprised how good and tuneable the engines actually are. In terms of design and execution, Honda really dont have much going for them yet, but they do build DAMN good little efficient engines, Ill credit them there. Suspension is also a fine point and Hondas handle very well. they are genuinely fun to ride in and drive. Its very easy to tune them for cheap and even though my friends Honda is a little crappy accord, for almost nothing he tuned it into a very spiritied and fast little car. I think the wholericeboy import scene has turned Honda into a hated company and Ill admit I fell into being anti-Honda because of that, but Ive seen what true enthusiasts like my friend do with the car (he hates the rice scene and his idea of tuning is new intakes, slightly bigger exhaust (no backpressure losing gigantic coffee cans) simplified engine bay pipework, and only then will he add htings to it. He knows a big ass wing is pointless but he likes how it looks. He does acknowledge that it does nothing and doesnt work on FWD but he isnt deluded into htinknig it iwll do anything. He will weld hte rear doors sht and strip the car of excess weight. thats an example of why true enthusiasts like Honda. And Actually, Im really starting to agree. I wish I could redesign the bodywork, but otherwise, Im really going to focus on hating Toyota, because honda actually deserves better.

And hybrids are cleaner, BTW. If you don't believe me, look at the emissions for your Suburban and compare it to the Prius for example.

A more fair comparison would be comparing 2.5 Priuses to a Suburban.

People seem to always fixate on the gas mileage aspect of hybrids and forget the real advantage of a hybrid is that they are cleaner and pollute much less....

[post="81738"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That may be so...but it really isn't the advertised point of hybrids. I bet alot of people would reconsider the several grand premium of a hybrid if they knew the mileage was overrated.