hmmm...

ocnblu

Yeah, it's $1000 GM owner loyalty cash and then they must be cutting $500 out of their own chunk. Pretty strong, on such a great little import, with tight pricing otherwise.

They had smaller cash before this, either loyalty or conquest, too. A lot of it is not only is there little Saturn advertising in general...there's nothing for the Astra. But, as it's been discussed elsewhere, they're losing money on these things (apparently), so I would think it would be either a priority or not. Then again, pretty Saturn typical, with not so hot sales.

I want to drive one, as in theory, it's another on my list for soon times--and towards the top. Not perfect, but oh so good, in a lot of ways, especially that vault-like, everything slick and refined, feel that is still so foreign (no pun intended) to a lot of cars.

Well, I stopped by the dealership today and checked them out once more. I was still like "ehh..., nice, but... a bit boring". Maybe it's the paint colors (I still haven't seen a blue 3 door). The interior is definitely not cheery, it seems cool and dark. They had a white 5 speed 3 door with 18" rims, that was the nicest, imo. They also have an ADM sticker on all of them ($500, which seems dumb, they're not moving atall, afaict), along with stupid "paint sealant" (a wax job), and pinstriping. So, it seems they're jacking up the price, only to give a discount. The $1500 actually amounts to about $400 off MSRP after the add-ons are counted. BFD. They can keep them.

Well, I stopped by the dealership today and checked them out once more. I was still like "ehh..., nice, but... a bit boring". Maybe it's the paint colors (I still haven't seen a blue 3 door). The interior is definitely not cheery, it seems cool and dark. They had a white 5 speed 3 door with 18" rims, that was the nicest, imo. They also have an ADM sticker on all of them ($500, which seems dumb, they're not moving atall, afaict), along with stupid "paint sealant" (a wax job), and pinstriping. So, it seems they're jacking up the price, only to give a discount. The $1500 actually amounts to about $400 off MSRP after the add-ons are counted. BFD. They can keep them.

Absolutely. That's TERRIBLY stupid.

I actually just commented on this on another board, discussing Saturn sales, as started by an actual Saturn salesman. My beef? I agree that a lot of the dealers really do give a different and more pleasant experience, but when you're selling every car at MSRP and essentially know your profit cushion from the first second and that it won't be touched...why on God's green earth would you then ALSO force things like dealer add-ons? This alone perturbed me because I've seen and read of countless Saturn dealers who never have a single new vehicle arrive that isn't pinstriped, mudflapped, Scotchguarded, sealed (i.e. waxed) within the first day. If anyone needs the extra profit, it's the polar opposite of Saturn.

But that dealer markup, thankfully, doesn't seem at all common on the Astra...actually the first I've ever heard of it. To do that AND toss other crap on there, they are simply nuts. Sell them at sticker the way they came from GM, untouched, certain people get their rebate and others can get their Supplier/GMS...and call it a day with your decent profit levels compared to most regular brands. At least in my world that's how it would work...if I could only beat it into enough Saturn dealer's minds :rolleyes:

You should see one in blue, Ocn, it looks sharp....

The one thing the kills the Astra for me-is the XE wheelcovers (wtf? :blink: ) and why they charge 900 bucks for a/c.....