Waxin'

After a pretty harsh winter, I think my cars need a good waxing...

Which leads me to an important question: What do you you guys/gals use?

I've been a Mothers fan for years(my cav still looks new), but a buddy wants to me to switch to 3M.... He said it offers even more protection from the crappy weather here...

Time for the Turtle Wax roll call.... :AH-HA_wink:

Turtle wax in the summer/fall. NuFinish in the Winter/spring. NuFinish is crazy after 7 months your car will still bead water.

Yeah I need to know too. I'm too scared to have somebody else do the Z. I'm afraid they'll use a buffer on it, so I'm gonna do it myself by hand. But I don't know what wax to use either. The biggest thing here is the sun. It sits outside all day while I'm at work and gets blasted by 110 degree summer days.

Prep:

1st step: Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0

2nd step: Meguairs Show Car Glaze 7

Wax:

3rd step: Top of the Line (Brand) Trade Secret Carnauba Wax- The best wax I have EVER used, goes on in a really clear extremely light coat, leaves no residue, and comes of effortlessly. You only leave it on for 30-60 seconds. The only place that I can find it is at the BMW dealer and it is around $50 for a jar but it lasts forever.

DSC01453.jpg

For original 147K paint it still looks pretty good.

BTW if anyone is looking for a really good leather cleaner/conditioner I highly recommend the BMW branded leather care that they sell at the dealerships, it's the best I have found so far and I have tried many, many different kinds.

Cool, has anyone on here ever used any of GM's branded chemicals? They have wax and leather cleaner among other things, and I know all their other chemicals are freaking AMAZING!! Their glass cleaner blows everybody out fo the water, and the "magic in a can" as the techs call it is a rust inhibitor/remover kinda like WD-40.

I'll be detailing the GTO sometime this week. I usually use Meguirs, but we had some 3M stuff at the dealership that was really good stuff, I might look into trying some of that (you can get it on ebay for a decent price).

REDO1GPGT: Do you put the carnauba wax on by hand or use some sort of applicator?

because the Ahole who i trusted to paint my nova did such a $h!ty job in prep, the first time i waxed my car (ive waxed other cars so its not like i was doing something wrong) the paint began FLAKING.... the paint is in such $h! shape its not worth waxing...and my next paintjob might be some badass flat black... is there even a point in waxing flat black?!?!

because the Ahole who i trusted to paint my nova did such a $h!ty job in prep, the first time i waxed my car (ive waxed other cars so its not like i was doing something wrong) the paint began FLAKING.... the paint is in such $h! shape its not worth waxing...and my next paintjob might be some badass flat black... is there even a point in waxing flat black?!?!

Wax helps to protect the paint from stains (such as bird crap), among on things, so yes, I'd say there's a reason to wax most any car if you care about how the paint looks.

REDO1GPGT: Do you put the carnauba wax on by hand or use some sort of applicator?

Yep just with a foam applicator. It is the type of wax that they say additional coats add additional gloss but I tried adding an additional coat but it's would not stick since it was so glossy. Amazing stuff.

I use P21S Carnauba Wax.

I try to stay away from "sealer" waxes, as I've heard using them regularly can be harmful. A coat of P21S doesn't last as long as a coat of sealer wax, but it's hard to beat in terms of looks and can be used regularly.

I use P21S Carnauba Wax.

I try to stay away from "sealer" waxes, as I've heard using them regularly can be harmful. A coat of P21S doesn't last as long as a coat of sealer wax, but it's hard to beat in terms of looks and can be used regularly.

I could see multiple coats of sealer waxes causing a problem, but if you clay bar in the spring before your first wax you ought to be ok, I think (clay bar should strip off the wax).

SS623, if you want to keep the "flat" in your flat black, you cannot wax it. Wax will half-assedly shine it up and it will look horrible and splotchy.

yea i know.. i want a dead flat look anyway.. my friend sent me these pics the other day that had my droooooooooooooooooooooooooooling :drool:

img1122sized1sj9.jpg no waxing needed!

Cool, has anyone on here ever used any of GM's branded chemicals? They have wax and leather cleaner among other things, and I know all their other chemicals are freaking AMAZING!! Their glass cleaner blows everybody out fo the water, and the "magic in a can" as the techs call it is a rust inhibitor/remover kinda like WD-40.

I never thought about using GM's brands... :scratchchin:

I wonder who makes them.

I hear that it is 3M, but I'm not sure.....

I never thought about using GM's brands... :scratchchin:

I wonder who makes them.

I hear that it is 3M, but I'm not sure.....

I can agree with GMPG... Especially on the glass cleaner. I always have a few cans in supply, it is AMAZING. Been using it since the 1999 Venture and it is the best glass cleaner we've ever used. It's branded as AC Delco up here.

Wow...

i dont know if id black out all the trim (dont get me wrong.. i HATE chrome) just its a lot of time consuming work... but i want that look.... its so badass ... and i love how most car guys drool over the flat black look, while every other non enthusiest thinks its getting ready to be painted

i dont know if id black out all the trim (dont get me wrong.. i HATE chrome) just its a lot of time consuming work... but i want that look.... its so badass ... and i love how most car guys drool over the flat black look, while every other non enthusiest thinks its getting ready to be painted

:yes:

Step 1: Merguiars Paint Cleaner applied with a clean terry towel. (1 coat) -- Do not allow to dry.

Step 2: Meguairs Show Car Glaze applied with a clean terry towel. (2 coats, each 'worked into' the paint) -- Do not allow to dry.

Step 3: Meguiars Gold Class Wax applied with applicator, but in a linear fashion as opposed to circles to avoid 'swirling' (1 or 2 coats) Allow to dry.

Step 4: Meguiars Quick Detailer applied with a clean terry towel. This is to remove any left over residue from the wax. Do not allow to dry.

I use terry towels because microfiber cloths are NOT guranteed not to scratch.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Step 1: Merguiars Paint Cleaner applied with a clean terry towel. (1 coat) -- Do not allow to dry.

Step 2: Meguairs Show Car Glaze applied with a clean terry towel. (2 coats, each 'worked into' the paint) -- Do not allow to dry.

Step 3: Meguiars Gold Class Wax applied with applicator, but in a linear fashion as opposed to circles to avoid 'swirling' (1 or 2 coats) Allow to dry.

Step 4: Meguiars Quick Detailer applied with a clean terry towel. This is to remove any left over residue from the wax. Do not allow to dry.

I use terry towels because microfiber cloths are NOT guranteed not to scratch.

Hey FOG-how come you do not let the wax dry?

I use Zaino... longest lasting thing I've used so far. My car is always parked outside, and the rare moments I do wash it, the water beads nicely and the surface remains smooth. I only need to clay it once a year.

Mother's is good for OTC. Meguiar's quality has been very inconsistent, IMO. Their "professional" (tan bottle) products are better; #26 is surprisingly durable for a carnauba, and #83 is effective at removing swirls without being too harsh, provided you let the abrasives break down into finer particles - i.e. with a foam polishing pad and Porter Cable 7336. I do wish it used less fillers and oils, though.

Honestly, the vast majority of waxes are pretty much the same, with essentially the same mix of cheap solvents and oils. With the exception of Zaino, IMO, there's very little "technology" involved; it's more about marketing and branding and shilling so that we can collectively fund Barry Meguiar's teeth whitening, spray tanning, evangelical missionaries, and, oh yeah, TV show.

What I think of Meguiar's as a company: :puke:

Hey FOG-how come you do not let the wax dry?

The actual wax does need to dry, because it is for protecting the paint. So it needs to stay on there. The Polish and Cleaner is not meant to protect the paint and as a result does not need to stay on the paint and doesn't need to dry.

I have not waxed a car since 2002, the week in August when

I bought my '68 Camaro.

These days I drive cars with patina. Patina doesn't NEED wax.

If I ever spend $3000 for a gorgeous paint job (unlikely!) on

a '61 Sedan deVille hardtop or a '59 Invicta station wagon

then, maybe then I'll make cosmetics a priority.

I much rather prefer a 1930s whip that has more patina on it

than the hull of an old battleship.

You can always buy paint & clearcoat... but patina is EARNED!

I use Zaino... longest lasting thing I've used so far. My car is always parked outside, and the rare moments I do wash it, the water beads nicely and the surface remains smooth. I only need to clay it once a year.

Mother's is good for OTC. Meguiar's quality has been very inconsistent, IMO. Their "professional" (tan bottle) products are better; #26 is surprisingly durable for a carnauba, and #83 is effective at removing swirls without being too harsh, provided you let the abrasives break down into finer particles - i.e. with a foam polishing pad and Porter Cable 7336. I do wish it used less fillers and oils, though.

Honestly, the vast majority of waxes are pretty much the same, with essentially the same mix of cheap solvents and oils. With the exception of Zaino, IMO, there's very little "technology" involved; it's more about marketing and branding and shilling so that we can collectively fund Barry Meguiar's teeth whitening, spray tanning, evangelical missionaries, and, oh yeah, TV show.

What I think of Meguiar's as a company: :puke:

I thought seriously about making the switch to Zaino.

I use the tan bottle Meguiars polish and I can tell a difference.

The actual wax does need to dry, because it is for protecting the paint. So it needs to stay on there. The Polish and Cleaner is not meant to protect the paint and as a result does not need to stay on the paint and doesn't need to dry.

Ah, that makes sense....