Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2009 maxima - edmunds

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/...20/pageNumber=1

glowing......and this car has a cvt

So Why Isn't It an Infiniti?

Collectively, the total effect of the 2009 Nissan Maxima would have been entirely appropriate for an Infiniti sedan. It's rich, comprehensively equipped, very comfortable, sporty and well worth the extra cash over the economical Nissan Altima.

So where's the oval clock? Answer: All current Infiniti vehicles are based on rear-drive platforms. Infiniti is rear-drive; Nissan is front-drive. Judged on its own merits, the front-drive 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV we tested is a fine car worthy of flagship status. Forget all that Altima-versus-Maxima trash talk. The Maxima is back.

While we can't entirely sign off on Nissan's claim that the 2009 Nissan Maxima represents the return of the four-door sports car, we can wholeheartedly say that this is the best Maxima yet, and by a mile. It's more fun to drive than a Toyota Avalon or Honda Accord. It has twice the personality of either a Toyota Camry or Hyundai Azera.

The 2009 Nissan Maxima finally has the look, feel and performance to proudly wear the flagship crown for Nissan. It's so good, in fact, that we seriously wonder if our Infiniti I35 scenario might have been the objective of the product strategists. Now, the only question that remains is whether the Maxima faithful have already bought themselves an Altima 3.5 SE or whether they've been waiting for this 2009 Maxima 3.5 SV?

i have to say, the writeup changes my perception of this revision.

i thought they were going to make it a floater, now it seems its a legit bargain offering compared to say the germans, and the rear drive japanese lux cars.

i dont really like the inside or outside but i do appreciate nissan's effort to make it perform.

The exterior is growing on me, I think in person it will look better. The interior is slick. I just wish it had a manual. C'mon Nissan, this is supposed to be s ports sedan, a manual should at least be on the option list (it is for the Altima).

The exterior isn't the best. It looks like a camry swallowing a G35. The interior is great. I love the back-up cam. I love all of the gimmicky technology that you can throw in for the money. I hope someone at GM is listening.

This car is too expensive for a Nissan. If I'm going to spend $31-38k on a FWD Sports sedan, I'm going to buy a TL. Hell, a TL Type S with 6-speed manual or 5-speed auto (Nav standard) is only a few bucks more than the loaded Maxima, and it doesn't take a genius to guess at which vehicle comes with better service or standard equipment.

Not to mention it doesn't look like an overgrown Yaris with a few mutated genes.

We give extra points to Nissan for resisting the temptation to adopt electric-assist power steering in an effort to gain a single mpg of fuel-efficiency

What? Why not give them "extra points" if they use an electric P/S pump and do it right? Don't give them "extra points" for using old tech that has been around forever because they don't want to deal with making the new tech work well. I guess the editor was too caught up in the new Maxima to realize this dumb comment.

This car is too expensive for a Nissan. If I'm going to spend $31-38k on a FWD Sports sedan, I'm going to buy a TL. Hell, a TL Type S with 6-speed manual or 5-speed auto (Nav standard) is only a few bucks more than the loaded Maxima, and it doesn't take a genius to guess at which vehicle comes with better service or standard equipment.

Are you sure about that? Which car is actually better equipped - Loaded Maxima or Loaded TL?

A lot of stats aren't available for the 09 Maxima yet, but Nissan has been missing a competitive vehicle in this segment. This should at least keep the current Maxima owners and many Altima owners looking to upgrade within the Nissan family. I can also see some Camry owners becoming interested in Maxima. There's just a lot more personality in the Maxima than in the Avalon.

I think its smart for Nissan to keep the Max as a Nissan because it is front wheel drive. Infiniti is the premium rear drive division, and they should not dilute that brand with a front wheel drive model. If they did, people would be bitching and moaning. Keep the Max a Nissan, and give us a car under the G35 with rear drive.

The exterior is growing on me, I think in person it will look better. The interior is slick. I just wish it had a manual. C'mon Nissan, this is supposed to be s ports sedan, a manual should at least be on the option list (it is for the Altima).

I think they look even more bizarre in person than they do in pictures. Personally, I think it is ugly. It could be the best performance value in the world and I really don't think I could get past its looks. It's just....... :puke:

I think its smart for Nissan to keep the Max as a Nissan because it is front wheel drive. Infiniti is the premium rear drive division, and they should not dilute that brand with a front wheel drive model. If they did, people would be bitching and moaning. Keep the Max a Nissan, and give us a car under the G35 with rear drive.

perhaps that same logic is why the next impala will remain fwd

• 2 weeks later...
I thought Edmunds was pretty much "the enemy" on this forum.

I just thought Edmunds had crap reviews. Maybe it's just me.

Regardless of that, I love the look of the new Max - much better than the weird shape of the last one.

That said, I'd want a car this big to have RWD, but there's a loyal cadre of Maxima fans out there who'll snap this up in a heartbeat. I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in one, either.

perhaps that same logic is why the next impala will remain fwd

My problem with that is, why the hell should Buick be FWD, too? (I mean, if it's good enough for Pontiac...)