Idea

So here is what I'm thinking I might do for a project sometime in the future, hopefully the near future.

01011101150301030820080606cc8060df60a88b

1996 Chevrolet Camaro, bad engine, $700.

Then I take out the engine, transmission, etc., and drop in a diesel, preferably a Duramax from a wrecked Chevrolet or GMC HD truck (isn't there a six cylinder version used in commercial-grade trucks, too?). I wonder what sort of manual transmission would work with the Duramax, or if all of this would even fit in a Camaro?

Hmmm ... :scratchchin:

Duramax might be a tight squeeze, and the transmissions it uses would never fit.

That car is a steal though!

EDIT: The Camaro's rear would explode into bits with a Duramax up front.

That is a shame because I really want to do this and really want to make this work. I think the mpgs would be quite good, a lot better than what I get with my Sonoma.

In any case, I seriously think I might try to buy that car and do something with it. It is in good shape and deserves to be repaired. Hell, there could potentially be very little wrong with the engine, you never know.

YJ:

Dude, fan-fu&%ing-tastic idea. :D

Thank you, Sixty-8. This is an idea I have turned over in my mind a few times before and I think I may have found the opportunity to actually do it, if I can find a way to make it work, which I hope I can.

I am going to e-mail the owner in the morning for a phone number, directions, and when it is the most convenient for them to let me see the car. Then I will take it from there if the car seems in as good of shape as it is in the Craigslist pics. Regardless if the diesel will not work, I still want that car.

Thank you, Sixty-8. This is an idea I have turned over in my mind a few times before and I think I may have found the opportunity to actually do it, if I can find a way to make it work, which I hope I can.

I am going to e-mail the owner in the morning for a phone number, directions, and when it is the most convenient for them to let me see the car. Then I will take it from there if the car seems in as good of shape as it is in the Craigslist pics. Regardless if the diesel will not work, I still want that car.

Good play.

Now, the mini Duramax we've been hearing about might just work...

Good play.

Now, the mini Duramax we've been hearing about might just work...

Yes, I considered the rumored 4.5, but I don't think I can justify having the Camaro just sitting out in the family driveway for up to two years (it has been said to start production at Tonawanda after '09, correct?), waiting for the MiniMax to come into production. :P

I might would consider a Cummins diesel if they make one that would fit, but I don't know.

The diesel would be cool...a hybrid powerplant would be really cool.

For outrageous, I'm still waiting on Ford to build an lifted, AWD turbodiesel Mustang...(I'd love a Mustang with the Audi Allroad style, kind of a modern Eagle SX/4). :)

If all else fails pop a 3.6L HF in or alternatively a 3.9L V6... Both would make good powerplants.

Both engines could be the basis for a nice Ethanol conversion if my diesel engine conversion falls through.

The main objective of this project is to have a nice, modern daily driver that can get good mpgs and can run on something other than gasoline. I am tired of gasoline; after I put ten dollars in my truck today and barely got a 1/4 tank I finally got to see the final nail being driven into the coffin, so to speak.

bro, turbo buick motor for the win! cmon, a turbo 3.8 would be a sick setup

A fine idea!

Better yet: a 4.3 turbo from an '89 T/A

Could someone convert one to Ethanol or another fuel source?

As long as I am not tied down to just gasoline anymore, I suppose I will consider any GM motor with reasonable power for this project.

It can be done.

Won't be easy.

Won't be cheap.

Will be cool.

very,very, cool. :thumbsup:

And I suppose this could be the start of a very expensive journey then, haha.

In the big picture I want to achieve three goals: 1.) achieve some form/level of freedom from gasoline, 2.) have something different and unique, and 3.) find a good reason to buy that car. :P

I would get it, and drop a 6.6 in if it would fit or do a 3.9L Flex Fuel like in the Impala. The make 233hp and back to a stick it would be a slick setup. Or a 3.8/4.3 Turbo would be sweet too. Go with the Duramax if that doesn't work a 3.9L with a stick and E85 would be pretty sick too.

Still no e-mail. <_<

I guess I have to find another candidate for my alt-fuel conversion.

Good luck!

I know it has been a couple days since you first Emailed, but it IS the weekend....

And, a car I Emailed about over a week ago...finally got a response Email earlier tonight....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Baseball season is underway" ... Steve Goodman ... 'GO CUBS GO'