Camaro Nurburgring time

This was about 10 sec slower than I expected.

It really is not a bad time because the times the Cobalt and CTS are really very very good time and hard to compare.

The Camaro as it is is still better then the Caymon S and BMW M3. But about 4 seconds of the M5. Still a good time for they type of car and price it will cost.

Besides the Camaro is a flying brick the aero cd numbers are in the mid 30's.

That is a good time, for it to be 10 seconds quicker it would have to be as fast as a BMW M6. It beat the 2000 M3, not the new M3, the new M3 does it in 8 minutes, 5 seconds. The 335i, Cayman S, 350Z, Lotus Exige, Jag XKR, and the old Skyline GT-R are in the 8 minute 20-28 seconds range. It beat some fast cars and that is a good time for what the car will cost.

The weight and handling probably holds it back a little bit, because many of the cars that were just a bit slower are in the 280-330 hp range, the Lotus Exige is only 240 hp. And cornering matters most on the Nurburgring.

That is a good time, for it to be 10 seconds quicker it would have to be as fast as a BMW M6. It beat the 2000 M3, not the new M3, the new M3 does it in 8 minutes, 5 seconds. The 335i, Cayman S, 350Z, Lotus Exige, Jag XKR, and the old Skyline GT-R are in the 8 minute 20-28 seconds range. It beat some fast cars and that is a good time for what the car will cost.

The weight and handling probably holds it back a little bit, because many of the cars that were just a bit slower are in the 280-330 hp range, the Lotus Exige is only 240 hp. And cornering matters most on the Nurburgring.

I definitely would blame it on weight. If the Camaro beat the Turbo SS and those other cars while weighing in at 3860 (plus driver and gas.. so 4100ish), it's gotta handle pretty damn well.

I definitely would blame it on weight. If the Camaro beat the Turbo SS and those other cars while weighing in at 3860 (plus driver and gas.. so 4100ish), it's gotta handle pretty damn well.

Aerodynamics no doubt play a part also...the Camaro is rather blocky and upright compared to the sleeker Corvette and CTS-v...

Hmmm...

Model Cd Weight HP Ring Time

08 Corvette 0.28 3179 lbs 436 HP ???

Z06 0.34 3132 lbs 505 HP 7:40

ZR1 0.34 3324 lbs 638 HP 7:24

CTS-V 0.355 4200 lbs 567 HP 7:59

Camaro SS 0.35 3860 lbs 422 HP 8:20

Edited by NOS2006

just think what it would turn in if it was ~150lbs lighter, like some of us really hoped for..~3750 or so. ok, so maybe 100lbs lighter. think that would be good for 6secs?

edit: we are assuming it's the ls3/stick combo for that time. that would be awesome if it was the L99/auto combo for that time.

Edited by loki

Yeah, the CTS-V is a car capable of sharing magazine

pages with M-Bimmers and AMG Benzes... not exactly

the same price range as the Camaro.

That's like saying I'm a slow runner because it takes

me 30 seconds longer to run the Boston Marathon

than that crazy guy from Kenya who's won a bunch

of times.

I bet Jessie Owens would kick my butt in the 100m too!

---h, and if they just eliminated those BULKY B-pillars

that $h! would lap the 'RING in like 7.45 :D

Surprising the Cobalt SS turned in such a good time....I usually don't think of FWD and handling in the same sentence...

Guy doing local autox got one of the new turbo Cobalt SS's, and has been kicking some major butt, and it's still stock. Last event, I think there was one vette and a couple karts ahead of him, that's it.

Dude, to eliminate the B-Pillars they'd have to add even more weight to make up for the structural integrity the B-Pillars provide.

Have you heard of sarcasm? :mellow:

...did you take the 7.45 sec. time seriously too?

I know it takes extra round-'bout weight to

reinforce the lack of a direct up & down pillar.

4200 lbs. is a bit of an exageration Moltar. :rolleyes:

Have you heard of sarcasm? :mellow:

...did you take the 7.45 sec. time seriously too?

I know it takes extra round-'bout weight to

reinforce the lack of a direct up & down pillar.

4200 lbs. is a bit of an exageration Moltar. :rolleyes:

Well, if the production V8 is 4000, I figure a hardtop would be about the same as a convertible (4200?). Or maybe I'm a couple hundred pounds high for each...

Surprising the Cobalt SS turned in such a good time....I usually don't think of FWD and handling in the same sentence...

I am not a FWD fan but after driving the HHR SS with the same parts as the Cobalt SS I came away impressed.

The HHR SS did a 8:44 at the ring. Not bad for a box.

The only problem with the HHR SS and Cobalt SS is under hard acceleration the traction control makes the steering feel like it is hunting a little to prevent torque steer. Other wise the ride and handling is great

The Camaro did well but the Cobalt SS is just that good.

The way the Ring is set up, its slow corners support the FWD biased or AWD cars. That is why you can argue the GTR with its good AWD system can bring down the time so much despite being at a weight disadvantage. However, I am surprised why the the 911 Turbo has posted a lower number. A heavier RWD car can really slow down on the ring. I definitely can believe in the 8:20 timing of the Camaro.