MetallicA: Death Magnetic (Few more updates)

TRACK LISTING:

That Was Just Your Life

The End Of The Line

Broken, Beat & Scarred

The Day That Never Comes

All Nightmare Long

Cyanide

The Unforgiven III

The Judas Kiss

Suicide & Redemption

My Apocalypse

ALBUM ART:

DM_cover_600.jpg

Almost has a death metal feel to it... Which is a very good thing IMO.

:cheers:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

MISSION METALLICA UPDATES:

July 25: (Not very interesting)

July 21: (Not very interesting either)

July 14: (Better, but still)

July 10: (Has the beginning of a pretty bad assed riff and mentions "Nightmare" as in "All Nightmare Long")

July 7: (Pretty bad assed)

July 2: (Some lyrics maybe?)

June 25:

Original teaser: (Now rumored to contain stuff that isn't on the album, but still cool) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pyTrJ6hl90&feature=user

:metal:

I'm actually excited about this album, especially hearing their cover of Iron Maiden's 'Remember Tomorrow'.

On those subject of those Iron Maiden covers I also fell for the Machine Head cover of 'Hallowed Be Thy Name'. Really cool!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATES:

Album release date: September 12th 2008

MetallicA has completed shooting the video for the first single entitled "The Day That Never Comes" and the video should begin airing around the end of this month.

MISSION METALLICA:

July 29:

July 29: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNJ2BUCrBfE...feature=related

July 30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLysJvaxQQQ...feature=related

July 30: (Cool discussion about the name Death Magnetic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6sf4nk4G_s...feature=related

August 1: (This one is bad ass, if it's legit... Seems to be... Has a very SLAYER feel to it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9BYZsKdPc

August 1: (Pretty cool) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqs94eLPLD0...feature=related

August 1: (Yet another one) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DK6tmMkWf0...feature=related

August 2: (Excellent background riff) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzZJb_MukUs...feature=related

August 3: (Pretty obviously talking about "The Unforgiven III" and the same ideology as was used to structure "The Unforgiven")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hncWX7x_cp0...feature=related

August 4: (Also labeled as July 5, so who knows?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSLNBfM5sD4...feature=related

August 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-n0YASOuMM...feature=related

August 5: (Awesome! And BTW, I want the banner behind James that says "Crushing All That Cower" with the beefed up truck on it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvh11ttT4UI...feature=related

August 6: (Good background, again) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TESZ0TdLLM...feature=related

July 6: (Apparently I missed this one; good comments by James)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlmg8vSr2E...feature=related

And I think that's all of them...

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm liking what I hear so far!!!

So, apparently "Cyanide" was the song featured in the original trailer given the riff and "Suicide..." lyrics.

Yep. I wonder what song will feature the "bow down, sell your soul to me" lyrics... :scratchchin:

The cover art has officially been dubbed: "The metal Vagina" :P

Go to their Myspace page...they uploaded a live bootleg of Cyanide that is so much clearer than the YouTube video. You can really hear some of the guitar parts better and it sounds like a pretty intricate song! I love the bass too!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...riendid=4689215

Oh, btw, 2008 North American Tour Dates are up! Nov. 8 Quad Cities...here I come!

Edited by mustang84

It's just what the mainstream radio has been saying 'round here.

"The Day That Never Comes" was officially released at www.metallica.com. Check it out!

Platinum Mission Metallica members can download a 256kbps MP3 file of the single. I dowloaded it and now I'm really excited about the album! I f@#kin' love this song: slow, fast, melodic, guitar harmonies, everything that defined Metallica's sound is there! :metal:

Edited by ZL-1

Just heard The Day that Never Comes on the radio. Sounds pretty good, has an old Metallica feel to it! I hope their harder songs are good as well.

:word:

Listening to said song on XM Radio Online right now. Not bad a'tall.

Old man James's voice sounds a lot better singing ballads than punk. But overall, a pretty good song.

Heh-heh....maybe they will do something off the wall like a album of Lawrence Welk covers...that could very interesting. I really liked the S&M album.

I think the vox are good. For some reason though, "My Apocalypse" doesn't seem to be as high quality as "The Day That Never Comes" when downloaded. Maybe it's just me.

It's always harder to get the right sound after going sober (No drinking or smoking)

A lot of metal singers have had that problem. Just listen to Sully Erna from Godsmack (On "IV" his voice doesn't have the same growl) or Corey Taylor from Slipknot. (It's a damn wonder he hasn't seriously damaged his voice -- prolly has, just hasn't went public) or Wayne Static from Statix-X.

I've read that it's referred to as "drying up"

Same thing with M. Shadows from A7X. He actually drinks beer while recording to keep it from happening. Of course, both he and 'the Het' have seriously effed their vocal cords up at least one time before.

Not to count, the ballad is actually 'singing' instead of just barking words into a mic.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I think the vox are good. For some reason though, "My Apocalypse" doesn't seem to be as high quality as "The Day That Never Comes" when downloaded. Maybe it's just me.

I think it's the file itself. People have been complaining about the sound quality of the dowloads over on the MetallicaBB.

As for song quality, "My Apocalypse" is great, but I think anything thrash made by Metallica will never feel as good as the first 4 albums, because in the 1st three the band had an aura around them of being the kings of the underground, and in AJFA they had the aura of Cliff being dead for less than 2 years - the martyr band, if you will... Perception goes a long way not only on cars, but in music too...

Yes, I would think all the screaming and 'barking' would be hell on the vocal cords...keeping it going for a couple decades is no doubt quite difficult. I can't recall which band it is, but a friend of mine always described some metal singer--it may be Wayne Static--as having a 'demented Cookie Monster' voice...:)

I'll have to give the new Metallica album a listen..I haven't listened to them in years...I did listen to them a lot in the Load/ReLoad/S&M era, after my mid '90s NIN period...also listened to Static-X and Powerman 5000 quite a bit back in the turn-of-the century period when I working crazy hours at dot-bombs, and Rage Against the Machine, NWA, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, and Snoop Dogg around then.

After age 30, I mellowed out and went went back to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, U2, and my '80s and early '90s favorites...

Edited by moltar

I can't recall which band it is, but a friend of mine always described some metal singer--it may be Wayne Static--as having a 'demented Cookie Monster' voice...:)

"Cookie Monster vocals" is a common term for the growling vocals of several death metal bands.

I'm not so sure "drying up" and complacency aren't the same thing.

So far from what I've heard, DM sounds.... rejuvinated.... but Het's voice has not been as good for me (his nuances changed.. and to a degree hi style) since AJFA and back to RTL. He never killed me with his technical ability (I'm not a snob that way anyway)- but a sharp edge has been amiss for many albums now.

UPDATE.... Have now listened to The Day That Never Comes 8 times in a row, it gets better & better each time.

Edited by balthazar

Got my platinum access today...ordered the disc with midnight download. I also ordered up some pre-sale tickets for when they come out here in December. :metal:

I really can't wait for this album...I am really liking how it sounds so far.

Edited by Nick

Got my platinum access today...ordered the disc with midnight download. I also ordered up some pre-sale tickets for when they come out here in December. :metal:

I really can't wait for this album...I am really liking how it sounds so far.

Awesome!!

I thought about ordering it. But then I thought about how much I loved the 'ritual' of going to the store first thing in the morning (a few minutes before it opens) and hanging out with other MetallicA fanatics.

It's funny, I did that for St. Anger and realized that there is a certain archetype for die hard MetallicA fans. Most of the guys were exactly like me; bigger, edgy and very 'james-esque' :D

I'm not so sure "drying up" and complacency aren't the same thing.

So far from what I've heard, DM sounds.... rejuvinated.... but Het's voice has not been as good for me (his nuances changed.. and to a degree hi style) since AJFA and back to RTL. He never killed me with his technical ability (I'm not a snob that way anyway)- but a sharp edge has been amiss for many albums now.

UPDATE.... Have now listened to The Day That Never Comes 8 times in a row, it gets better & better each time.

FWIW, I think Cyanide is the best vocal performance by James so far.

Of course, I love the AJFA style, but I was introduced to MetallicA in the Load era and one of the main selling points for me was James vocals. (I also like Blues) So that could be why I'm more into 'singing James' than 'yelling James'

It just seems that James has now found the perfect compromise between gut busting and singing. That gives the overall experience a 'smooth' nature that no other metal singer can touch IMO. It's still heavy as hell, but not so 'scarey' that it could almost be considered mainstream. I think that has been a huge key to MetallicA's commercial success. (Not that I judge a band by that merit, but hey, it's reality)

RE: commercial.

A friend of mine was b*tching about how MetallicA is commercial now, yet his favorite band is Slayer. Am I the only person that sees just as many, if not more, Slayer shirts and videos than MetallicA now? I mean the skateboarders seem to really be into Slayer and Slayer seems to really be cashing in on that.

Just a FWIW.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm doing my damn best to avoid listening to the leaked songs (listened to about 15 seconds of All Nightmare Long and then killed YouTube). Not because I'm against leaked or illegally D/Led music, but I just like being able to open the plastic and pop the disc in for the first time. I only do this for albums I'm really looking forward to, and DM is one of them.

Anyway, I'm kinda annoyed with Mission Metallica right now because I've been trying to order tickets and it says my Mission Metallica presale code is not in the database. I even signed up for a new account and that code isn't available either. Guess I'll just have to wait until the 13th and get crappier seats... :(

Got off of work from the bar at midnight (bouncer... you know :))

Headed directly to my nearest 24 hour Wal-Mart in the GFs rental Impala and picked it up at around 12:30AM.

Too bad I can't listen to it in my car though (Thanks to that jack ass who stole my CD player 3 weeks ago)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

A few days ago I received a package in the mail from Warner Brothers...At first I was like, wtf?

Then I opened it and was like :metal:

My CD came earlier than anticipated...it was pretty sweet. I still have it sitting here all nice and shrink wrapped.

I haven't heard the whole album yet but here's a simple fact:

There will never be another "Master of Puppets" Cliff is dead, and the entire

band has turned into a bunch of insane, high maintenance babies..... with

their life-coaches and all that new-age bullcrap, eh.. whatever.

I like what I have heard so far, ad while many Metallica fans disregard it as

a "true metallica album" they said the same about the Black Album, which is

also a little weakas compared to MoP & RtL but in any case it stll kicks the

piss out of much of therest of today's music.

One thing I did respect, back in the Load & (re)Load days was in an interview

the band (well, Hetfield) said that they 're NOT going to keep rehashing the

same musicjus because a lot of fans want a "Ride the lightning II" album...

Got off of work from the bar at midnight (bouncer... you know :))

Headed directly to my nearest 24 hour Wal-Mart in the GFs rental Impala and picked it up at around 12:30AM.

Too bad I can't listen to it in my car though (Thanks to that jack ass who stole my CD player 3 weeks ago)

I've got to ask...what is the source for the interesting pic in your sig?

The pic is from the video for

by Megadeth.

The song is about a corrupt politician, (The guy in the picture) excess, greed and assassination/revolt. (FWIW: I would never want to see any political leader assassinated, just so everyone knows)

I picked the image because I think it illustrates what is happening to this country. The smiling politicians are completely out of touch while our country burns "for the [benefit] of the people" and the innocence of future generations (the baby) is what will pay.

I thought is was appropriate with the election coming up

Megadeth has some excellent videos and music pertaining to politics (Since that is a what Mustaine seems to love to sing about)

Here is another good one:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM