Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Cars North America never heard of

I mean we're all familiar with Skylines at this point (enough boy racers saw to that)

And we know of cars like Holden's Monaro and Commodore due to Pontiac getting the GTO and new G8.

But....who in North America knew....

...that there was a Mazda 929 before the one we saw?

800px-Mazda_929_1984.JPG

And a coupe at that!:

MHV_Mazda_929_3rd_Gen_01.jpg

which happened to have a Cosmo twin:

800px-Mazda_HB_Cosmo_001.JPG

Speaking of Cosmos, look at the preceding version (looks like a Mustang II or Monza notch)

800px-Mazda121left_02.jpg

Note: We got the fastback, and hose are extremely hard to find these days. I've seen two ever, probably.

Who here knew that Mitsubishi was one of Australia's big 3 (along with Holden and Ford) and built cars like the Magna:

800px-1991-1994_Mitsubishi_Magna_TR.jpg

or local cult favorites like the Sigma Turbo:

3102559_5_full.jpg

More to come....bring on the pictures.

Brazil's Chevy Opala:

2915074_1_full.jpg

2494797_1_full.jpg

2494797_30_full.jpg

2494797_11_full.jpg

2956419_1_full.jpg

As one looks at Chevy, Opel, Vauxhall, Holden, and such around the world, esp. in the 60s and 70s, the GM DNA is obvious in the design language. With the Opala, and the Rekord the first Opala was based on, there's tastes of Nova, Chevelle, dare i say IM-pala (!), and the first Monaro.

Guest aatbloke
or local cult favorites like the Sigma Turbo:

3102559_5_full.jpg

We had this first generation Mitsubishi Sigma in the UK, as well as an Australian-built variant badged the Lonsdale YD-series. The Lonsdale brand lasted only a couple of years and are extremely rare, being a slow seller to begin with.

That (early '70s looking) Chevy Opala hardtop is HAWWWT!!!!

2494797_30_full.jpg

Very nice lines...

As far as the rest: :puke: !!!!

Esp. the Mazda Pinto II & Mitsubishis

Who here knew that Mitsubishi was one of Australia's big 3 (along with Holden and Ford) and built cars like the Magna:

800px-1991-1994_Mitsubishi_Magna_TR.jpg

I'm sure it has never been "common knowledge," but I would assume that many big car enthusiasts (a majority of the people on this site) would know many of these vehicles. And that Mitsubishi Magna was exported to the US and sold as the Diamante.

I'm sure it has never been "common knowledge," but I would assume that many big car enthusiasts (a majority of the people on this site) would know many of these vehicles. And that Mitsubishi Magna was exported to the US and sold as the Diamante.

Well, yeah, the point is to reflect the public at large, who really hasn't seen or heard much of what came beyond North America. And the Diamante did not have THAT greenhouse (later Magnas do look like what was imported here)

Moving right along....we know of the Chevy Monza, but how about the Opel Monza?:

800px-Opel_monza_v_sst.jpg

800px-Opel_monza_h_sst.jpg

800px-Opel_Monza_GSE_vl_white_TCE.jpg

^^^This could have been federalized as a game changing Pontiac or Buick T-Type IMO. Sure would have beaten the 6000 or Century.

More to come, this is a developing thread....

ASS-cot is right.

The Opel Monza was a J-body, I think, smaller than an A-body.

Actually, it was based on the Senator, rear-drive and much larger (E-segment, executive car class, our premium mid-size):

800px-Opel_senator_1_v_sst.jpg

You're thinking of the Ascona:

Opel_ascona_c.jpg

800px-Ascona_C_2_door_Ludwigshafen.jpg

In the size case of that car (which WAS a J-car) and general style, we were well catered to by Cavalier, Sunbird and co.

However, in Brazil, there was a J-car Chevy Monza (this one with a Camira-style front end):

And in South Africa, the Monza name was on an Astra/Kadett:

3110746_10_full.jpg

Edited by LosAngeles

There's nothing wrong with the old school Euro-Monza...

The styling was a bit :blah: but it was much more appealing than those Mazdas & Mitshubishis