Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

WHEELS

It's amazing the variety of aftermarket wheels these days. Amazing how it affects the look of a car or truck.

What are some of your favorites?

Surprisingly I'm liking the black ones with silver or red rim. I also like the spidery type as well.

I'm seeing this type more and more lately. They look great on big trucks.

wheeltrendson2.png

Edited by HarleyEarl

I'm liking the aluminum rim, black spoke styles quite a bit...I esp. like multi spoke beyond the usual 5 spokes.... wheels like this:

octaneb.jpg

or this, I find quite appealing...

lemans_b.jpg

as well as the DTM style with 20 or so spokes..

Just saw those on a Hummer H2 SUT today. I do not like the rim designs (as above) that break the visual 'hoop' of the rim- they always remind me of some 'gear/cog' ala Legos and they kill the forward visual momentum of the rolling wheel/tire for me.

I do not like whole genres of wheel designs; there are very few aftermarket ones I like. Anything with rivets studding it is out, and needle-thin spokes are out (they look weak).

American Racing's Salt Flat Special is one in particular I do like, the Pontiac below is wearing them ( or a knock-off) most handsomely.

Edited by balthazar

I generally like ones that look solid rather than the spidery type ones moltar posted. Kinda like the one on balthazar's sig.

I like most of what Cragar has and some American Racing styles. In general, I don't like overly large or overly flashy wheels. If I never had anything over 19", I'd be fine with it.

Some styles I like:

Hoppy.jpg

0703_mump_22_z%20mustang_exterior_modifi

thumb-7-2746-american_racing_wheels_baja

m500.jpg

Wheels like this just look bad and take away from the vehicle

S5300055.jpg

I'm all about the clean wheels designs. I like 5-spoke and double 5 or 6-spoke designs. Multipsoke designs I don't like as much, although BMW does a damn fine job with them. I don't normally care for chrome on most cars, I don't like black with rare exception.

ag_08srt4_wheel.jpg

saab-alloy_5-spoke-double-bridge-7x17.jp

exterior_wheels.jpg

and I hate these kind of wheels:

spin1.jpg

136.jpg

Something I don't know alot about, is how these huge aftermarket wheels affect handling and ride. Some of these big wheels have virtually no tire.

Easy. They're brutal on handling and ride quality. Vehicles with huge, heavy aftermarket rims and rubber band tires eat tires and ball joints and every other suspension component you can think of.

Anything over 19" is just nuts. I think a nice 18" high quality lightweight rim by a company like Volk Racing or Gram Lights are sweet but I don't see myself spending $1600+ on a set in my lifetime

GF's TSX has some 5 "split" spoke OEM Aspec 17" wheels I think look decent but they are over 20lbs.

2790468433_c44537d9be.jpg

I'm all about the clean wheels designs. I like 5-spoke and double 5 or 6-spoke designs. Multipsoke designs I don't like as much, although BMW does a damn fine job with them.

I don't normally care for chrome on most cars, I don't like black with rare exception.

BMW's multispokes--esp. the wheels on various M models, are probably my favorite factory wheels.. I esp. like how some of them are in titanium. I would never have chrome wheels

on a modern car...though I do like chrome wheels (like the classic Cragar SS, etc) on '60s-70s vintage cars. My favorite vintage style wheels, though, are probably the American Racing Torque Thrust -Ds and the Cp200--

like these, but with an aluminum rim with gray rough-texture spokes

58.jpg

My brother had a set of 'em on his '68 Camaro SS 396 and alternated using them and Chevy Rallys...looked great on there.

Edited by moltar

I wonder if many new wheels are getting too over the top big......starting to harken back to chuckwagon days.

I think 20 inchers look good on big cars, like the Challenger...but beyond that is just absurd, IMHO..