VW ROUTAN test drives

regfootball

Wait... DRIVETRAIN: 3.8-liter V6, 197 hp, 230 lb-ft; FWD

Where have I heard numbers like that before from a 3.8L V6? :AH-HA_wink:

I have to say, this is far less ugly than the Chrysler/Dodge versions.

I've read VW wants to develop and build in the US a cheaper midsize sedan for the US than the Passat...maybe they can take the Sebring and work it over in similar fashion to create a VW sedan with a wind name...

I've read VW wants to develop and build in the US a cheaper midsize sedan for the US than the Passat...maybe they can take the Sebring and work it over in similar fashion to create a VW sedan with a wind name...

yup, i heard that vw wants to cheapen its product too.

sound familiar?

VW wants to be the top volume maker and it sounds like that they will whore themselves out to do it.

in the meantime, i think the routan looks like a desriable minivan...to a point....anyone who sees the 7-8k discounts on the Chrysler vans will not want to pop for these.....

i am interested in seeing what these lease for. If VW is desperate to sell them if they don't move.......chrysler has massive rebates and cheap financing. also, VW does not have the same warranty. in the end, the style changes will determine its desirability over the dodge and chrysler.

I was just looking at the spec sheet. Rear air is not available on the S. Big mistake. If you want the 4.0 you need to get leather, bigger mistake.

Since VW is a premium brand they really should have just stuck with the 4.0 for all models. To pit the 3.8 vs. the Odyssey and speedy Sienna is a bad move.

I would have two trim levels. A base, well appointed, with power packages and entertainment packages available. Then, the loaded, with everything and just make sunroofs and high tech navs optional.

We have taken 3 trips now i think or 2 with the new Taurus X, it has a lot of room but not as much cargo space as the Aztek. In the past I have lamented on occasion the lack of space for cargo in the Aztek. I read a review of the CX-9 recently where the writer said the CX-9 was pretty much useless as a family trip vehicle because there was no cargo capability.

It makes me wonder if or more like when, the pendulum will swing and allow minivans to be ok to drive again. I think someone besides Toyota will need to offer AWD....and they all need to bring the girth down.

I could see some success with this vehicle if they repackage the models, scrap the 3.8. I know that even though this is a Dodge, if it had a VW badge on it with the redone front and rear I think it looks quite nice. Most of the offerings in this segment are pretty old. Kia can't give Sedonas away right now at 17 grand.

Edited by regfootball

It's amazing how much VW has altered the exterior just by changing the front/rear design. The overall effect is far less boxy or retro '80s than the Chrysler LLC twins. Chrysler LLC should seriously consider an emergency restyling of the front/rear and interior of their versions. If VW can make their version look more stylish and the interior less cheap, then there is no reason that Chrysler LLC can't do the same with their versions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty funny stuff.

I woulda thought reg would have had this as "the worst vehicle ever" as a subtitle.

Weird, eh?

:duh:

Make the seats a little more comfortable but screw up the stow and go in the process, and dabble with the front and rear styling and VOILA!

It's acceptable!

LOL!!!!!!

I want to see Consumer's Reports reliabilty ratings for the drivetrains, and compare them to the Dawrdges. hahaha

It's amazing how much VW has altered the exterior just by changing the front/rear design. The overall effect is far less boxy or retro '80s than the Chrysler LLC twins. Chrysler LLC should seriously consider an emergency restyling of the front/rear and interior of their versions. If VW can make their version look more stylish and the interior less cheap, then there is no reason that Chrysler LLC can't do the same with their versions.

Make the seats a little more comfortable but screw up the stow and go in the process, and dabble with the front and rear styling and VOILA!

It's acceptable! LOL!!!!!!

I've been in a few Routans, and the interior is top notch. The Stow n Go is a minor issue - the third row still tucks away, and the second row's seats are removable. The redone seating makes it worth it. Also, don't forget that VW completely redesigned the car's suspension. The Routan drives much tighter than its counterparts. That, the redone interior, and the no-charge Carefree Maintenance put the Routan a cut above its peers.

Another quality control story, in addition to the mismatched headlights... some Routans are arriving at dealerships with "Stow-N-Go" badging on the door B-pillars, while some have upside down window switches in the second row.

LMAO.

OOPS!

fairness to VW, the sto n go captains chairs are unuasble by humans. to get rid of sto no go in lieu of habitable seats is an ok trade off i think.

LMAO.

OOPS!

fairness to VW, the sto n go captains chairs are unuasble by humans. to get rid of sto no go in lieu of habitable seats is an ok trade off i think.

I also believe the Swivel n Go seating worked better in theory than in practice. So VW got rid of that as well.

I'll have to test drive one of these when I have my Rabbit in for it's 24,000mile service interval next week.

I do enjoy the interior enhancements of the Routan over the Chrysler vans.

Of which, are now available in a rich forest green that I just love. I hope the Routan gets it too.