Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ocnblu

My tater is limp!

51 posts in this topic

I cut up a potato tonight into french fries. I patted it dry with paper towels while I heated up some Smart Balance oil (a mix of canola, soybean and olive oils). When the oil shimmered in the pan on medium heat, I threw them in. When they appeared nice and brown, I took them out and drained them on more paper towels. For the first few seconds, they were stiff and crispy, but they quickly got limp. I hate limp fries. Can anyone tell me how to make a homemade french fry that is crispy? Thanks in advance. :scratchchin:

Thats why I always bake homemade fries, frying is extremely tricky. Maybe the trick is to soak them in saltwater. I haven't done it in years, but wiping the oil off and letting them cool on a wire rack allowed a little more of the oil to drain off.

You know, come to think of it, Mickey D's drains their fries in the basket after they come out of the oil... no paper towels for them, they get dumped in a metal trough for salting and scooping into the containers.

I've not actually tried this myself yet but I saw it on tv. It looked good.

3 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 large potatoes), peeled, ends and sides squared off, and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch by 1/2-inch fries

3 quarts peanut oil (or canola oil), plus 1/4 additional cup

1. Place cut fries in large microwaveable bowl, toss with 1/4 cup oil, and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high power until potatoes are partially translucent and pliable but still offer some resistance when pierced with tip of paring knife, 6 to 8 minutes, tossing them with rubber spatula halfway through cooking time. Carefully pull back plastic wrap from side farthest from you and drain potatoes into large mesh strainer set over sink. Rinse well under cold running water. Spread potatoes onto kitchen towels and pat dry. Let rest until room temperature, at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.

2. In heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat oil to 375 degrees.

3. Add all fries to oil and fry until golden brown and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to fresh paper bag or paper towels to drain. Season fries with salt to taste and serve immediately.

I make a killer french fry myself. It's all about KISS. "Keep It Simple Stupid".

1. Don't use some healthy-balanced-diet-BS oil. CORN 100% straight up.

2. Cut the fries as thick as a no.2 pencil for crispy, as fat as a Sharpie for chewy (i like a 50/50 mix)

3. Keep the skin on, but scrub the potatoes under running water to clean

4. the oil has to be really HOT, like 400* hot.

5. Wait for it to heat up, test by throwing in a small crumb or tater chunk, it should bubble up and sizzle

6. For crispy fries take out the fries only after they turn golden brown.

The fries need to be blanched in cold water prior to being fried. This removes a lot of the starch so that too much oil isn't absorbed. Following, make sure your oil is hot, 350-400 F, and most importantly, make sure you have enough BTUs going in your heating source to prevent a massive temperature drop when you drop the fries in.

When removed, use a slatted cooling rack on top of paper towels upon which to drain the fries. This way, when the fries are draining, the oil drips off of them and gets absorbed by the towels. If you drain/cool them directly on the towels, they will just sit on the oil-soaked towels and reabsorb the oil.

Mmm...getting a craving for good fries....smothered in Cheez-Wiz. Or some nice thick steak fries ('chips'). Maybe I'll buzz over the Irish pub for some fish & chips and pint.

my family loves to watch good eats aka Alton Brown. my dad watched one and said he said to fry them twice to have them stay crunchy. I don't know if that true.

Ore-Ida: ewwwww....

I suppose you also love imitation crab meat and that pretend-bacon too :P

my family loves to watch good eats aka Alton Brown. my dad watched one and said he said to fry them twice to have them stay crunchy. I don't know if that true.

It is true, but you have to keep in mind that you're sticking them in oil again. After something has been fried once, the second time allows it to absorb quite a bit more oil.

Think about potato chips from the bag...you know the really fried ones that are darker and crispier? Are they not the greasiest ones, too?

If drained on a rack, and not in paper towels or anything that allows them to sit in the oil you're trying to drain from them, they will be plenty crispy.

best french fries:

russet potatoes

peanut oil

salt

as you slice, place in ice cold water in bowl

heat oil to 320 degrees

cook fries for 2 to 3 min until pale and limp

remove, drain on paper towel, cool to room temp

now increase oil heat to 375 degreees

and place fries back in for another 2 to 3 min

drain on rack

keep warm in a 200 degree oven

salt

Edited by HarleyEarl

Ore-Ida: ewwwww....

I suppose you also love imitation crab meat and that pretend-bacon too :P

God no :puke:

Ore-Ida sucks, but its a lot quicker than home-made.

Yeah, I knw I was just being a dick.

America, FU*K YEAH!

Okay seriously, this making me want to get dressed and drive to some lame fast food place just to get a large fries...and quite frankly I'd rather have home made...but alas I'm too damn lazy :banghead:

Edited by Delta Force79

Yesterday, at 3:40am, on my way over to "Ups" I found myself at McDonalds

squinting at their super-ghay "late-night-menu", Roadmonster idling while I

tried to make up my mind.

Ended up getting porked for $6.17 on a USA-spec. Royale-w/Cheese & loading

900+ packages with a nasty cannon-ball of grease in my stomach.

I wish Panera was open at 3am.

Aaaaad now, it looks like I might be going back to McD in 3 hours, thanx O.B. :yuck::P

That does it.. I'm going to go get fries...Jack in the Box is about a mile a way...or maybe I'll go to Rosie Mccaferty's Irish Pub, less than a mile..they have great fish n chips.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0