The Mark VI Volkswagen Golf

MyerShift

Mark VI Golf at Autoblog

The New Golf. From Volkswagen.

The New Mk VI Golf at VWVortex

Enjoy!

So in a way the Scirocco was a preview of the styling of the next Golf in my mind's eye.

I don't really care for the way this looks the way I liked the Mk IV and V when I saw them.

Perhaps I will warm to its appearance, but not yet. I bet the press release at VWVortex will sway me!

This looks tackier or something. I dislike the way the tailamps' outer edges distort the cutline of that oh-so-distinctive-and-so-very Golf C-Pillar.

You know, the top of the centre stack reminds me slightly of the Cadillac BLS in overall shape with the subtle point at the top, and they seem to have done away with their roller switches for the heated seats, and they took away the grab handles at the bottom of the stack!

The exterior is alright, but at a quick glance seems more like a refresh with a new nose.

I believe that's what it really is.

Volkswagen claims that the Mk V was too expensive to build relative to the profitability of the Ford Focus and Opel Astra, and thus, found a way to produce the Mk VI in a less costly and complex manner. I wonder what it was that got cheapened.

Edmunds claims that it feels more expensive and is quieter than ever before, so I guess I'm surprised. Perhaps the new look will grow on me.

The outside is blah and boring. The inside is inspired. I love the interior.

Agreed on the interior. I don't mind the exterior being king of blah, but I can't stand the tail lamps. They just don't look like they belong (maybe they are too wide?).

• 2 weeks later...