GM Oct sales are posted

Every month the spin from GM is "Yup, our sales are down, but look at our new models selling well, that bodes well for the future!" Except in the future, the new models will become old models. Look at how Cadillac has cooled down this year, after its impressive momentum from 2000-2004. GM can't come out with new models the same way that Toyota and Honda can. GM's full size trucks and SUVs are rolling turds that should have been updated a few years ago, instead of next year and the year after. Now that GM has begun to move to 7 year product cycles, Toyota and Honda are moving to 4 year on the highest volume products. That's something with which GM can't compete on the retail side. Saab is going to get the plug here in the U.S. Saab 92-X was a mega flop, and the Saab 9-7X has followed its lead. Edited by Shantanu

Every month the spin from GM is "Yup, our sales are down, but look at our new models selling well, that bodes well for the future!"

Except in the future, the new models will become old models.  Look at how Cadillac has cooled down this year, after its impressive momentum from 2000-2004.

[post="37312"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Cadillac's car sales are up 17%, I'd say that's pretty good. The only thing doing a lot worse than last year is the Escalade and that's getting replaced in 2-3 months. The CTS could be considered aging and it's up YTD vs. last year.

We knew it was going to be a bad month, I'm just hoping Nov. isn't so bad.

I think the only way GM is going to be able to keep a 4-year product cycle on such a large volume of brands is to really make use of it's global resources. Using Opel/Vauxhall's as Saturns? Why not? It's fresh, it's a shot in the arm, and it doesn't divert GM's North American resources. Using Daewoo to boost Chevrolet's? Sure. Using Isuzu on diesel powertrains? Absolutely. How about Holden cranking out a couple of RWD models for NA consumption? Yup -- bring'em on.

I think the only way GM is going to be able to keep a 4-year product cycle on such a large volume of brands is to really make use of it's global resources.  Using Opel/Vauxhall's as Saturns?  Why not?  It's fresh, it's a shot in the arm, and it doesn't divert GM's North American resources.  Using Daewoo to boost Chevrolet's?  Sure.  Using Isuzu on diesel powertrains?  Absolutely.  How about Holden cranking out a couple of RWD models for NA consumption?  Yup -- bring'em on.

[post="37344"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hit the nail on the head.

Shantanu, I don't know where you get off calling GM's full sized trucks "rolling turds." The Silverado/Sierra were completely new in 1999 (8 model years) and refreshed in 2003. Most of what the new F-150 was bragging about last year, GM already did years ago (bussed electrical systems/hydroformed steel frame, etc.) The styling may be a little tired, but mechanically they are stilll the best of the pack. The Tahoe/Suburban are even newer, having been revamped in 2001. They still own the market, despite Toyota and Nissan's best attempts. And we know they are being completely redone in a couple months. Part of the reason Ford and GM still own the full sized truck market is that they don't necessarily jump on the styling/fashion band wagon every year. Have you seen the way some 10 year old vehicles age? There are a lot of 10 year old pick up trucks around and fancy gadgets/buttons just break. The Trailblazer is not selling north of the border, but I understand it is being revamped next calender year as well. Despite current money woes, I think GM has seen the light and is accelerating its model turn over. And, yes, I agree that GM needs to capitalize more on what it sells overseas. I saw vehicles in Brazil this year with the Chevrolet name that I know would sell well in this market - the Montana, for one which is a cute little sport pick up down there. I, for one, don't believe the bullshit reported by the media. One of GM's Achilles heals right now is its sales force. Too many salespeople will catapult the customer out the door, rather than use various tools (JD Powers, etc.) to prove to the customer our vehicle are as good, or in many case, better than the Asian competition. I have had a lot of success proving to customers (even taking them over to our sister store, a Toyota dealer and driving the said revered product!) that GM builds good products for a great price. My sales are up almost 40% this year. Give me products to sell and I will.

Is it wrong for me to find humor in the fact that GM sold half as many dead cars (Not 'LeSabre' dying but - like - Eldorado DEAD) last month than SAAB sold total?

Yes, interesting isn't it? Likewise with the Taurus being Ford's top selling car in October...

I think there was a substantial amount of pull-ahead sales that accounted for October. I think that truck and suv sales cooled as gas prices soared. Now, the question is: did GM lose truck/suv sales to cars, crossovers, etc OR did potential suv/truck purchasers sit on their hands wondering where gas prices were going to go? I think a bit of both occured. But, in case of the latter, those potential sales would still be out there -- and would be a prime target for the new, more fuel-efficient GMT900's.

I think there was a substantial amount of pull-ahead sales that accounted for October.  I think that truck and suv sales cooled as gas prices soared.

[post="38172"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Perhaps it was the latter explanation(fuel milage vs. pull ahead sales) as Saturn was the only major division to show a year to year increase and they have a reputation for good fuel milage.

hmm Lucerne already selling. Rendezvous doing fine. Finally the Lacrosse outsold the LeSabre.

[post="37255"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, almost all 2005 LeSabres are gone and no more are arriving. LeSabre sales will be down to zero very soon. Hopefully Lucerne inventory can arrive quickly or November will look the same.

Cadillac is NOT "cooling off". Period.

You're right, it's not. Cadillac is one of just 19 brands in the U.S. market that is up, year-to-date, through October 2005 - at 4.8%, its rate of growth (in terms of sales volume) is above Audi's, and BMW cars'.

Saab is up 3.7%, year-to-date, incidentally. They say it will be profitable this year.

Why is the Camaro mentioned in there! GM has to stop playing these games. I know its human error that it was mentioned but PLEASE!

[post="39297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Camaro is in there because at this time last year they had sold 127 Camaros, so it goes into the total number of cars Chevy sold last year vs. this year.

GM makes alot of cash by not updating their vehicles. After 3 yrs. the equiptment is paid for. The rest is all proffit. In 1999 when most models were terribly out-dated GM's prfits were soaring and their stock price was near $100 per share. Remember Jack Smith's $7 million bonus? Unfortunately, this short sightedness (greed?) ultimately cost market share and put GM well behind in Technology. That's why GM has spent so many billions of dollars in just the last 5 yrs. They've had alot of catcing up to do. I see Jack made it into the Automobile hall of fame though. Poor Wagner has had to clean up his mess and gets all the blame. Those ROBOTS Jack bought in the 80's? 90 percent of them were taken out a few yrs. later. That's not entirely his fault-the tech just wasn't that good at the time, but thinking that the people don't matter in terms of quality was a horrific mis-judgement on Jacks part. Wagner recognized early that people do matter and should be treated with respect. For this reason I hope to GOD he does not get ousted. He has shown nothing but respect for the UAW and has never once blamed them for the top brass' mistakes (FIAT, and now Subaru-although Subaru was more FUGI's paranoia). In any event atleast he was smart enough to hire CAR PEOPLE, and not BEAN COUNTERS like both of those passed a-holes named Smith. Thanx Rick :metal:

GM makes alot of cash by not updating their vehicles. After 3 yrs. the equiptment is paid for. The rest is all proffit. In 1999 when most models were terribly out-dated GM's prfits were soaring and their stock price was near $100 per share. Remember Jack Smith's $7 million bonus? Unfortunately, this short sightedness (greed?) ultimately cost market share and put GM well behind in Technology. That's why GM has spent so many billions of dollars in just the last 5 yrs. They've had alot of catcing up to do. I see Jack made it into the Automobile hall of fame though. Poor Wagner has had to clean up his mess and gets all the blame. Those ROBOTS Jack bought in the 80's? 90 percent of them were taken out a few yrs. later. That's not entirely his fault-the tech just wasn't that good at the time, but thinking that the people don't matter in terms of quality was a horrific mis-judgement on Jacks part. Wagner recognized early that people do matter and should be treated with respect. For this reason I hope to GOD he does not get ousted. He has shown nothing but respect for the UAW and has never once blamed them for the top brass' mistakes (FIAT, and now Subaru-although Subaru was more FUGI's paranoia). In any event atleast he was smart enough to hire CAR PEOPLE, and not BEAN COUNTERS like both of those passed a-holes named Smith. Thanx Rick :metal:

[post="39501"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Your mixing up Jack Smith with Roger Smith. Roger was the one who drove GM into the ground, Jack Smith saved GM in 92 but they have run into so many more problems lately many of which were not the fault of Jack Smith or Wagoner for that matter. Edited by I hope GMRULES again