G6 Convertible Canned?

Posted Image

G6 Convertible Canned?

We've heard rumors about the G6 convertible not making it to production due to complexities concerning it's innovative retractable hardtop. It's been quite some time since we've heard anything in regards to this problem, and information about the G6 drop-top's debut has been in short supply as well. Now, Pontiac has removed the G6 convertible from it's website altogether. The model no longer appears alongside the coupe and sedan on the G6 page and it's picture on Pontiac's main page has been replaced by the image displayed above (showing only the coupe and sedan). GM's decision to remove the model from Pontiac.com (visited by thousands of consumers each day) seems odd just months from the car's projected arrival at dealers. Is this the final nail in the coffin for the problem-plagued model? Only time will tell. But at this stage in the car's development, it's certainly a disconcerting sign.

Links
Pontiac.com
G6 Main Page

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. It's very possible considering GM has encountered some engineering difficulties with the roof, and that it faces some very serious competition. Perhaps they've concluded that few people are willing to spend ~$30K for a front-drive, pushrod-powered, cheaply-finished car, regardless of top, instead of a RWD V8 Mustang convertible or even GTO.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. It's very possible considering GM has encountered some engineering difficulties with the roof, and that it faces some very serious competition. Perhaps they've concluded that few people are willing to spend ~$30K for a front-drive, pushrod-powered, cheaply-finished car, regardless of top, instead of a RWD V8 Mustang convertible or even GTO.

[post="37382"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Pushrod, Cough* cough* the zo6 has pushrods and does almost the best V8's in the world. whats wrong!

The car competes with the Seabring more than a mustang. I thought it was a nice car and would have decent sales.

Well, this is interesting.  You'd think with all the R&D they wouldn't just give up...how hard can it be?  GM has retractible hardtops with the XLR and SSR...

[post="37422"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The G6 top is a lot bigger than those though since it goes over two rows of seats. I could be wrong but I think the supplier does most of the work on the top, not GM, so I'm not so sure it's GM's fault if it has problems.

Just regrille and rebadge and send it to Buick as the Velite when its ready. It doesn't belong at Pontiac anyways, IMO. And unless its a V-8, I'm anti-OHV as well-the G6 as a whole had so much hope in it until GM and Pontiac screwed it up, by shorting outlandish, sporty styling, passenger and cargo room, and equipment at the MSRP's they're at on most models. And the engines are all wrong, period, 4-cylinder included.

The supplier would do more work, since it's sourced. Just like the supercharged Northstars are sourced and the sunroofs of other vehicles, etc. Little to no work of the sort is done in house. I wouldnt be surprised if it were cancelled. When NOS & I had the chance to check out the G6 'Vert...there was no hard top in the trunk. So, in essence the vehicle was "shell" of sorts. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing with it being shelved.

The supplier would do more work, since it's sourced. Just like the supercharged Northstars are sourced and the sunroofs of other vehicles, etc. Little to no work of the sort is done in house.

I wouldnt be surprised if it were cancelled. When NOS & I had the chance to check out the G6 'Vert...there was no hard top in the trunk. So, in essence the vehicle was  "shell" of sorts.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing with it being shelved.

[post="37491"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The one at the LA autoshow had an actual top in the trunk, but it broke down during the show.

Karmann has a lot riding on this. If they can't get it to work well they'll lose a lot of future business to CTS, Pininfarina-Webasto, ASC, Heuliez etc., and not just from GM. In going for such a large folding hardtop they may have bitten off more than they can chew. If the Astra TwinTop works well I would think CTS would get the nod next time, but they will probably be looking at the Eos and Pininfarina's Volvo C70 as well. The Cabrio will make up the bulk of sales, so they are probably working hard to make it work.

I read that the G6 convertible was held up as a prime example of everything that is wrong with GM's product development. It is basically the same car as the Epsilon SAAB 9-3 convertible which is already in production. Yet there is no possibility for interchangable parts between the 2 because everyone localised their epsilons just enough to make it impossible to build them somewhere else. So given all of GMs problems they should probably just save it for Epsilon 2 and do it properly. and I agree Pontiac is maybe not the brand for it anyway

If it is going to be over 30K, rebadge it as a Buick.

[post="37560"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I dont know about just rebadging it. It would make it a funny looking Buick when compared to the rest. They would have to do more overall styling to it. The G6 is nice but Pontiac needs a car to draw in the masses. A real four seat convertible is an excellent idea. I do agree though that the price needs to be kept in check.

Okay, the cheapest Sebring 'vert starts at $26,440, while the cheapest Mustang vert starts at $24,660. I find it hard to have any sort of problem with an over $30K Pontiac with a retractable hardtop that will no doubt be loaded to the gills and run circles around a Sebring or Mustang 'vert. Pontiac will sorely need this car if it is to have anything resembling a flagship once the GTO goes away.

Pushrod, Cough* cough*  the zo6 has pushrods and does almost the best V8's in the world. whats wrong!

The car competes with the Seabring more than a mustang. I thought it was a nice car and would have decent sales.

There is a big difference between the Z06's excellent pushrod V8 and the mediocre pushrod V6 in the G6...