No Drop Top?

cletus8269

The Camaro convertible is off the table probably for a year as GM tries to save cash and claw its way back to profitability. Analysts predict U.S. car and light truck sales in '09 will be even worse than in '08 and the Chevy Volt and Cruze will have to succeed before GM can spend on such extravagances. Whether the Camaro convertible comes back from the hiatus depends on how well GM weathers the storm. If GM's situation improves, Chevrolet could return the Camaro convertible to its product plans for the 2011 model year, just in time to add a fresh new version of the car.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...hold/index.html

The Camaro convertible is off the table probably for a year as GM tries to save cash and claw its way back to profitability. Analysts predict U.S. car and light truck sales in '09 will be even worse than in '08 and the Chevy Volt and Cruze will have to succeed before GM can spend on such extravagances. Whether the Camaro convertible comes back from the hiatus depends on how well GM weathers the storm. If GM's situation improves, Chevrolet could return the Camaro convertible to its product plans for the 2011 model year, just in time to add a fresh new version of the car.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...hold/index.html

As much as I want to see the drop top GM has more important things to get out. GM needs the Cuze like last year. They need to get back to the basics and build high volume profitable cars. It may be boring but it pays the bills.

Play time will come after the hard work is done.

Meh. There goes that car as a possibility for my June '10 purchase. Mustang GT convertible I guess it will have to be. (I want a convertible for my 40th birthday). Or maybe a used M3 convertible..

Edited by moltar

If they had designed a shared platform for both a hardtop & convertible

and not wasted time on a crappy sedan that needs to be strengthened for

a convertible version this would be a non-issue. Think about it. Just GM

tripping over $1.00 bills to pick up dimes... AGAIN!

Edited by Sixty8panther

There would have been nothing aft the a-pillar shared between a hardtop and convertible, so the hardtop as a money saver argument is out. And a hardtop based on the convertible would have been heavy, at least as heavy as the convertible, and since the Camaro is already way overweight, that probably didn't seem like a wise investment for a performance car.

As much as I hate to say it (I'd give certain body parts for a Camaro convertible), but there are bigger issues right now. I'd rather wait and see if GM finishes out the year before I complain about having to wait longer to own a drop top Camaro.

There would have been nothing aft the a-pillar shared between a hardtop and convertible, so the hardtop as a money saver argument is out. And a hardtop based on the convertible would have been heavy, at least as heavy as the convertible, and since the Camaro is already way overweight, that probably didn't seem like a wise investment for a performance car.

WRONG..

Let's see.....

Strengthened undercarriage, stiffer chassis, rear windows,

regulators for rear windows, higher, stronger rocker panels

and better visibility, a strong but often overlooked

component of safety, woud have resulted from a shared

chassis devoid of any thick, chessy B-pillaridge.