hyperv6

Park the Jets and Caravan the Best you Have!.

44 posts in this topic

What are the odds of the GM leaders waking up and do something that would make a great impression on Washington and the rest of the country.

When they go back to Washington drive the best new product and efficent product you have and even bring a few Future mules like a Volt.

If Rick drove up and parked at the Capital steps in a Volt Mule that made it all the way from Detroit alone with a Cruze and a hand full of their best hybirds it would not only put it on Washington but it would show what GM is really doing to a uninformed public.

Make a show of this a show of what really is going on. Leave the Jets and SUV's at home and show how GM is and will compete in the future.

If they really believe in the Volt the prove it.

Better yet anounce the trip and invite the press to ride along! Let them report the real mileage.

It is a little PT Barnum like but if you really have the right stuff show it! This is the biggest sale in GM's history so they better do a better marketing job than they have.

My thought is get a caravan of all their best mileage and rated car. Drive them down to Washington with the press along. Then stop is some of the towns along the way and let the brass mingle with the public by showing the cars to them and making their case with product in hand and in the near future.

This would have more impact than the Detroit show and cost a lot less. The press will cover it every night till they reach DC.

Let the people from Fax and CNN drive the the cars and report about them.

If the CEO's all believe in their products then they should show it.

I only wish it was spring and the weather would be better to get more of the public to show up.

These kind of things were done often by tire companies and other in the 20's and 30's.

I also would make a big show and call out those on Capital hill to drive and see what you have.

I know GM and Ford both have a lot they can show. Chrysler is a little weak but they can bring their electric cars. The cold may hurt them but they need to show something.

We already have the Hot Rod Power Tour this could be The Future of Detroit Tour.

Also bring your best designers and engineers to work with the press and also speak on Capital Hill on what they are doing and where they can go.

The Automakers all should ask for one thing. IF the Goverment puts someone as a Car Czar they should also approve of that person. THey need someone who knows Detroit and Washington. Someone like Lee Iacoca who understands both sides.

Either way this caravan needs to be down to earth and basic. no flash or celberties. A real roll up you sleeves and get to work event. Leave the $2,000 dollar suits at home.

High-risk, high reward. If it succeeds, it may help public perception, but if a Volt breaks down or has problems it will hurt the car in the eys of consumers. It would be a terrible idea for Dodge to do it with their upcoming EVs. The Jalopnik article says the EV has a range of 150-200 miles and takes 4 hours to recharge on 220, 8 hours on 110. Google Maps puts Detroit-Washington at 524 miles, having to stop 3 times for 4-8 hours will remind people of why pure electrics never caught on.

High-risk, high reward. If it succeeds, it may help public perception, but if a Volt breaks down or has problems it will hurt the car in the eys of consumers. It would be a terrible idea for Dodge to do it with their upcoming EVs. The Jalopnik article says the EV has a range of 150-200 miles and takes 4 hours to recharge on 220, 8 hours on 110. Google Maps puts Detroit-Washington at 524 miles, having to stop 3 times for 4-8 hours will remind people of why pure electrics never caught on.

All of the prepros and one-offs should travel by trailer. You break them out at "pitstops" along the way.

Thats just a traveling auto show, not an actual tour that would generate great PR.

Thats just a traveling auto show, not an actual tour that would generate great PR.

Nothing wrong with a traveling auto show, those cars should enter the "pitstop" location on their own, of course, but I don't see the need to risk them on unpopulated sections of the interstate.

The production cars can take up the slack there. It just isn't realistic to expect the manufacturers to risk show cars and prototypes. Unless development mules could be spared.

Then wait, because if GM wants to show they're confident in the Volt, they need to show a convoy of them driving through Death Valley. That sends the right message.

It's too bad the big three don't still make their own car-haulers. WildmanJoe has posted a some great pictures in the past.

Then wait, because if GM wants to show they're confident in the Volt, they need to show a convoy of them driving through Death Valley. That sends the right message.

If waiting were an option, I'd agree completely.

Who knows, maybe there are enough pre-pros to run a few.

We leave the trucks at home.

If we can't drive it, it does not go.

GM has mules running all over that can make the trip and show the technology. GM also has preproduction cars that can make the trip.

Many of the cars that will be going are cars already in production like the present Hybrids.

This is not a travaling auto show nor should it be. This is a caravan to show Washington technology they already have that is for sale and some that they can show will work in the near future.

Too many in the public and DC think GM is all about Hummers and SUV's They have no clue about the other cars. Hell even a simple HHR shows how a vehicle will carry 5 people and cargo and get over 30 MPG with no problems.

Either way this project would need to be keep basic and simple. If it does not fit in the cars it does not go. No GM press staff let managment do the talking. The future needs to come from them. If Rick wants to stay he needs his vision be seen and it better be good.

GM has some new cars just ready for production and they are the kind of cars America needs. As long as the cars are presentable show off some of the new technology. I am sure if they don't have a Volt that can do this trip a Malibu Mule with the latest drivetrain can.

Anyone can truck a mock up in and it proves nothing.

Anyone can truck a mock up in and it proves nothing.

Exactly, thats just GM's standard "the good stuff is right around the corner" message that the buying public has been getting burned on for years. They need to show that this is real.

I can see that approach working.

Boy do I hope they are looking at some version of this, the misperceptions of too many in congress need to be changed. They could still say no, but it would help if they at least understood the reality.

They currently do not.

I like the general idea of a 'product caravan', but I cannot help think of the case of Tucker (seen in the movie). Under trial for intent to defraud the public/shareholder, he organized a parade of about 50 Tuckers lined up outside the courthouse to prove he indeed was producing cars (in contrast to some testimony that he hadn't build a single one). Not only would the judge NOT allow the jury to go downstairs & inspect them, they were not even permitted to look out the window. This is the type of approach one can expect from government/authority, unfortunately.

I wonder if a caravan of product would only be slammed yet again by the fat cats on the Hill as a waste of fuel & salary & insurance cost.

I'd caravan in Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Hybrid big and comfortable. They almost always ride in Suburbans anyways.

I like the general idea of a 'product caravan', but I cannot help think of the case of Tucker (seen in the movie). Under trial for intent to defraud the public/shareholder, he organized a parade of about 50 Tuckers lined up outside the courthouse to prove he indeed was producing cars (in contrast to some testimony that he hadn't build a single one). Not only would the judge NOT allow the jury to go downstairs & inspect them, they were not even permitted to look out the window. This is the type of approach one can expect from government/authority, unfortunately.

I wonder if a caravan of product would only be slammed yet again by the fat cats on the Hill as a waste of fuel & salary & insurance cost.

You do know that the bolded portion of your statement was fictionalized by Francis Ford Coppola for the film, right? While there were Tuckers that were completely assembled by the trial date, only 8 of them were taken to the courthouse.

In real life at the end of his criminal trial, Preston Tucker had only eight cars--not 50 as shown in this film--taken to the courthouse.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096316/trivia

I don't think even the movie showed 50.

IMDB is incorrect, however. Factual sources I've read (and I've studied Tucker for decades) stated that in fact 37 were built when the line was shut down, workers assembled the last 13 on their own time (they so believed in the product). "8" is unquestionably way off.

>>"The Tucker never did have fuel injection as originally advertised."<<

The prototype ("Tin Goose") Tucker's 589 H-6 did.

>>"The Tucker that was crashed in this film was a Studebaker fitted with a replica Tucker front end."<<

Actually, it was completely rebodied- not just the front end. No way to disguise a Stude to pass as a Tucker- and the movie car was show in 360.

Edited by balthazar

I was actually thinking Rick Wagoner should drive there in a 2009 Hummer H2, Alan Mullaly could drive there in an extended Lincoln Navigator L, and Robert Nardelli could drive there in a Chrysler Aspen. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I was actually thinking Rick Wagoner should drive there in a 2009 Hummer H2, Alan Mullaly could drive there in an extended Lincoln Navigator L, and Robert Nardelli could drive there in a Chrysler Aspen. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I think the point is to get Congress to give them money.

I was thinking about that today too though - how cool would it be if they drove their own products out there. And obviously, they'd want to take their most fuel efficient and/or useful products (like Chrysler takes their Caravan, maybe GM drives out there in a Hybrid Vue or Malibu or something, Ford takes an Escape Hybrid or maybe a new Fusion Hybrid). They'd want to bring their most modern and up to date products. I think it could work.

But there's no doubt though, even if they carried crosses and rode on the backs of donkeys, it's going to be a f@#king crazy uphill battle I think for them to prove their worthiness to our insanely stupid politicians.

No we don't get the Hummers out till they refuse the money. Then we get a few plated H1's with rocket pods and circle the hill.

I also though GM has a number of Hydrogen Chevys already floating around and Shell already sell Hyrogen in the DC area .

Take them there and drive them!

While the politicians are clearly idiots...there's no doubt that the Big 3 bosses looked even sillier:

Between the PR nightmare of corporate jets and the fact that none of the 3 showed up with a plan---or the specifics for how OUR money will be spent rescuing the Det3 from themselves--this was another PR debacle from the Kings of the Tone Deaf. How can you ask for these moneys, knowing the political and financial climate, and not have some sort of plan? Or explanation?

There's no defending Detroit on this one folks---they're VERY lucky that they're getting a do-over on this thing in a few weeks. Anyone else wanna defend keeping Wagoner now? He looked like the biggest doofus of all up there.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room