Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Avalon Pursuit?

Nodnarb

Its just a concept. More than likely not going to happen. You might see one or two around that certain townships might want to use it, but it wont be mass produced like the CV. A few other cars that I have seen are M3's, which my town uses, Ive seen an RSX in PA, Alero when it was out, even an Accord in NJ. I believe Aspen or somewhere out there use Saabs. With that said, this Avalon Concept is hot to death. I like it.

Looks foolish.

[post="39030"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It gets worse, read the comments!

Posted Nov 5, 2005, 7:43 PM ET by KenN
Jason,

You'd rather your tax dollars be spent on a Vic or Chevy Caprice? Can you imagine a cop underway having his American POS break down? If my life depended upon a reliable vehicle, I'd choose a Toyota any day!!!

F the Crown Vics...

I've lost some respect for the Avalon. This truly does place the Avalon along side Chevy, Dodge, & Ford... with the Impala, CV, & Charger. Not good for long-term image and not good for resale value. This would never be considered a possibility for a FWD or RWD Buick vehicle. And yes, I have some respect for the Avalon... the previous generation interior was nice. I liked the styling/layout which emulated Buicks of the early 1990's and late 1980's. I just couldn't get over the ugly front and slab sides. The new one looks much better on the outside, but the last generation interior was more attractive and used higher quality materials.

I've lost some respect for the Avalon. This truly does place the Avalon along side Chevy, Dodge, & Ford... with the Impala, CV, & Charger. Not good for long-term image and not good for resale value. This would never be considered a possibility for a FWD or RWD Buick vehicle. And yes, I have some respect for the Avalon... the previous generation interior was nice. I liked the styling/layout which emulated Buicks of the early 1990's and late 1980's. I just couldn't get over the exterior (ugly front and slab sides). The new one looks much better on the outside, but the last generation interior was more attractive and used higher quality materials. As a Lexus I'd consider the Avalon... as a Toyota, I'd never do so. The Toyota dealership & service experience horror stories (and friends' personal experiences) will prevent that from ever happening.

It gets worse, read the comments!

[post="39106"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Posted Nov 5, 2005, 7:43 PM ET by KenN
Jason,

You'd rather your tax dollars be spent on a Vic or Chevy Caprice? Can you imagine a cop underway having his American POS break down? If my life depended upon a reliable vehicle, I'd choose a Toyota any day!!!

F the Crown Vics...

No wonder all of the nation's police departments drive Avalon's instead of Crown Vics...

Heeeey....wait a minute.... :huh:

Jason,

F the Crown Vics...

No wonder all of the nation's police departments drive Avalon's instead of Crown Vics...

Heeeey....wait a minute.... :huh:

[post="39123"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Realize... Jason doesn't even know that Caprices have been out of production for almost a decade. :lol:

Posted Nov 5, 2005, 8:04 PM ET by donut (jelly filled)
BLT, the fattest, laziest, PIGS I've ever seen has squirmed their pot-bellied guts behind the wheel of a Chevy Caprice.

Don't start on the racial slurs...but since you started, the white piggies I've seen have all been corpulent swine of the most exaggerated kind ever.

Ever been down through Weewahhitchka Florida? You'll know EXACTLY what I mean, when I say those GD FAT PIGS ("Boy, where you goin' in such a hurry"), uneducated, Back-woods Freaks, Inbred Glory-Hole HillBilly retards...and yes, they all drive "Chevys".

What...a...fucktard.

I see a good number of government Civic Hybrids and Priiii.

[post="39156"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Think he's referring to law enforcement vehicles, not some other federal, state, or municipal organization.

Anyway, still not true. Obviously, domestics are preferred for their origin as well as their affordability (domestics give better fleet deals), their ease of maintenance, their durability, and their expertise in building police vehicles for American usage.

Keep in mind, most countries outside the US and Canada will use anything for a police vehicle, usually smaller vans and MPVs and intermediate/midsize sedans since they operate their vehicles on a decidedly less-intensive scale than we in the US do, especially in terms of ranged, long-duration highway pursuits and interceptions. Try taking down a fleeing Mercedes S430 in a Fiat Panda.

Well, a lot of countries use nice cars too...In Germany I know they use 5-series as their pursuit vehicles I believe...Italy has that Gallardo :P Maybe poorer countries use smaller, inexpensive cars, but for the most part I believe most European pursuit vehicles are actually pretty nice...

OK, I thought Police version of vehicles were only supposed to be different from the civilian version on parts which are more stiff and heavy duty, and an probably upgraded engine? For the most part appeareance parts are stripped off for cost savings? So Toyota honestly think they can sell the Police departments that riced out POS? They even put painted rims on that thing! Sorry, but I don't think it'll work. Edited by ToniCipriani

F The Avalon...long live the Vic...or a Caprice would be nice....or a new Charger...well anything but that f'n joke of a cop car. "look guys I'm getting pulled over by an Avalon" Lmao....not exactly an intimidating site in your rear view mirror <_<

Well police departments have been using FWD Chevy Impalas with the 3800 motor for a couple of years now. That car only has 200 HP. If the Impala can be a police interceptor I can't see why the 268 HP Avalon can't. It actually produces more Hp than the Crown Vic Police Interceptor which I believe only produces 239 HP from its rather antiquated V8 engine.

Well police departments have been using FWD Chevy Impalas with the 3800 motor for a couple of years now. That car only has 200 HP. If the Impala can be a police interceptor I can't see why the 268 HP Avalon can't. It actually produces more Hp than the Crown Vic Police Interceptor which I believe only produces 239 HP from its rather antiquated V8 engine.

[post="39811"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

1) Its not horsepower solely; its also torque.
2) An engine like the Vic's is preferred because of wide, cheap parts availability and ease of maintenance.
3) Avalons don't seem to offer anything special in terms of anything a law enforcement agency would want. I've heard Volvos were well-liked in early rounds of testing by Miami-Dade and other agencies, but price was a big factor against it. Even so, apparently they handled and accelerated magnificently. I don't see the sloppy Avalon doing that well.
4) Crown Vics are really half-trucks compared to any other car today and while BOF is old, outdated, and heavier than necessary for most applications, for police work, its ideal. Its less refined and rougher, therefore able to pop curbs and the like more than most unibody cars probably would. You and I don't need this capability, but the police do. Vics are also f-ing massive, which makes them great ramming cars.
5) Impalas you see in police duty are great for certain purposes, for example, a smaller agency mainly involved with urban and suburban environments. If your squad is predominately sitting, idling running a speed trap or DUI checkpoint, you don't need to outright power of a Vic.
6) Impalas can be picked up super on-the-cheap and guess what? Cops don't give two shits about how switchwork feels and the textures under the dash, so where the Avalon excels is irrelevant and its price is a hindrance.

I thought government and civil protection fleet vehicles have to be domestic makes here in the US?

[post="39079"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They should be. The rear of the Avalon actualyl looks decent here but the front stil loks like ASS. those headlights are gross.

Could I be arrested for pointing at and laughing at a cop when they pull me over in an Avalon?

[post="40654"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If this thing ever makes it to Mass you'll find out when I become the first to reap the consequences of that same action...

How cool would it be to pull an American grafity on this POS? Chain both rear suspension assbembly's to a hydrant adn blow past him in a generic vehicle at like 100mph in a 25mph zone....

Just thinking about it makes me smile. :P

I'm not sure about the Impala, but I know the Crown Vic's the police use have much stronger engines than standard Crown Vic's. IIRC, it is a derivative of the Mustang's V8.

The Crown Vic's 4.6 is the same as the Mustangs 4.6, the Mustang just puts out more power. I'd be surprised if the average Interceptor put out more power than the 239 the CV LX Sport makes. Long term durability is more important than a few extra ponies, especially when you consider that in most areas police cars do nothing but cruise around residential streets.