A third car?

Flybrian

My father's Bonneville is getting up in miles (98k and change) and my car is as well, but mine is almost a decade old while his is a little over five. The reason for the near 20,000mi/yr average for his car is that his job requires that he drive anywhere between 40 and 100 miles a day five days a week, sometimes even a bit more. So far, the Bonneville has proved itself an exemplary car with only a broken oil pressure sensor as the only non-accident related problem since the factory warranty expired. We have a 100,000-miles extended warranty through Geico with a rather high deductable to cover most major issues, but obviously that's coming close to the end.

So, we've begun theorizing about having a third vehicle, mainly for commuting. This would keep the mileage down on the Pontiac and also I'd be able to use it for a road trip or something like that to keep my mileage down as well. This wouldn't be a soon purchase, of course, but perhaps by this time next year.

Naturally, I'm lobbying for a Lucerne. I admit its really unnecessary to have a third fullsize luxury sedan, but the genuine appeal of the car to me wins me over. Plus, it would complete our G-body B-O-P trifecta with a first-gen Olds, second-gen Pontiac, and third (last?)-gen Buick. My theory also being that by this time next year, there will be an unwanted '06 Lucerne sitting on some lot while the '07s come out.

My father, being more reasonable, wants a truck. If new, something like a decently-equipped Canyon as he likes the GMC styling more or a low-mileage used Sierra. I suppose by that that time as the new GM trucks begin to roll out, the leftover Sierras will be heavily-discounted.

A new wild card is a compact hatchback. I showed him the Aveo Spring Edition package and 'built' one for the fun of it. With GM Card discounts, rebates, etc, I figured an Aveo at the price of a Spring Edition would mean only a $200/mo payment, which he absolutely loved. He also didn't think the Suzukis were bad either, notably the Aerio and Forenza wagon, both of which would come around that $200/mo figure. He especially like the 10/100 warranties on the Suzukis.

So, there you go - the economical, the practical, and the ridiculous.

We'll see how it pans out. :)

What if you traded in one of the two on the Lucerne? Your dad could trade the Bonnie and drive the Lucerne as the daily driver and then when you went on a road trip you could take the Lucerne and he could drive the Aurora. Another option could be getting a 2nd-gen Aurora as it would be pretty cheap by this time next year.

What if you traded in one of the two on the Lucerne? Your dad could trade the Bonnie and drive the Lucerne as the daily driver and then when you went on a road trip you could take the Lucerne and he could drive the Aurora.

Another option could be getting a 2nd-gen Aurora as it would be pretty cheap by this time next year.

[post="39437"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Mileage is pretty high on the Bonneville given its age, plus its been in two accidents, one requiring nearly $12,000 of repair work, so I doubt we'd get much on resale and a dealership would likely junk a car like that due to its accident history. I don't think either of us could stand seeing a car that shines and gleams more than a Mercedes on the showroom floor meet a fate like that. I ran it on KBB and it gives me like $5000 for trade-in, and again, that doesn't take into account the accidents.

My Aurora is even worse, about $2700 trade-in and that's not figuring the two moderate accidents it's been in either.

We figure putting $2000-3000 makes a whole lot more sense than trading in a car we love. Even if we park one and never drive it again, its ours and we paid for it.

Whatabouta Grand Marquis with a vinyl top and stand-up hood ornament? In all seriousness, um, a Montego is comparable to the Lucerne, but probably cheaper, and the Spectra is more desireable than the little Suzukis, IMO. As far as the pickup truck, keep in mind it'll be heavy on fuel, difficult to park, etc. So unless your road trip constitutes towing and carrying plywood or whatever, yeah...

Hm, you might also want to consider whatever midsize family sedan is on sale during your shopping period... a Sonata, Galant, or Malibu or something. The monthly payment shouldn't be that much greater than the Aveo's, but it'll be a lot more comfortable and safer. The new Sonata already has a rebate, I think.

I would suggest getting a high-mileage somethingorother if you're going to use it as a commuter car. Since you mentioned a hatch, what about the Vibe?

[post="39454"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It would be a commuter car, but mainly to take the wear & tear off my father's car. I should mention he gets mileage reimbursement from his work, so that's not a huge issue - mainly the price and usefulness.

I should also mention that, uh, most things Japanese are a negatory. That's just how it is and if he's putting down most of the money, I have no right to argue. :)

CSpec, a Vibe is a great idea and I really like the car. My problem is that a GT can get a little pricey and I cannot stand the base 1.8l's output or driving qualities. A used one might not be bad, though, depending on what's available.

Hmm... May I suggest a Fiero? I mean... they are the "commuter cars". :D Seriously, what about a used Grand Am? If he can put up with a Bonneville's interior, he should be able to with a GA's, right? That and they look awesome on the outside and have good performance. Maybe it's a little too much for him... and you, though. :P But I, myself, am again thinking about replacing the GA. :unsure:

A Malibu is a nice idea. HHr is now in the running as is a new idea, an Isuzu Iwhatever version of the Colorado if they end up to be cheaper than a Chevy/GMC equivalent. As far as the rough ride, my dad is someone who never really cared about that as "its a truck," and he's also looking at utility as a factor as well, so a Malibu MAXX? He does like the HHr.

HHR...

[post="39467"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Bingo!

Fuel economy of a car...yet you can transport (read: store) things like a truck in terms of size and volume.

If he wants a truck, point to the recent surge in gas prices, then factor that times at least a dime this time next year. He'll change his mind.

I'd go for the HHR. It will be very reasonable this time next year, even used with low miles.

Bingo!

Fuel economy of a car...yet you can transport (read: store) things like a truck in terms of size and volume.

If he wants a truck, point to the recent surge in gas prices, then factor that times at least a dime this time next year. He'll change his mind.

I'd go for the HHR. It will be very reasonable this time next year, even used with low miles.

[post="39660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'd agree..the HHR is nice..

Or a Aveo...

Or if you wanted something cheap and new, what about an ION?

They carry good rebates off and on...you could even get one with the 2.4...

My parents were deciding between a Malibu, Equinox, and HHR. They went with the Malibu, it was cheaper. It still has a big trunk, plenty of space inside, and gets good fuel economy even with the V6. The HHR had $5,000 mark ups which made them too expensive. The Malibu makes alot of sense as a commuter car

If you ask me, (knowing your tastes somewhat) I'd say get a GM certified Park Ave Ultra wiht low miles. I love those damn cars.

Saddly I think the Park Ave. may be considered the last true Buick. I know the Roadmaster is technically the last TRUE Buick to many of us but even wiht the lack of RWD and a V8 the P.A. is so damn gorgeous. :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

In like ten years when a 00-05 Park Ave is just a cheap used car I'll buy one for a beater and flat black it, tint the windows and ride around wiht steel wheels painted red and the Rat Rod style pinstriping. After I blow the motor and trans doing neutral drops I'll bolt the whole shebang up to a BOF chassis/tube chasis hybrid wiht a LS7 and six speed manual trans. Now THAT's a RAT ROD!!!

(and no, that's not the dumbest Idea I've ever had)

Getting back on topic That sec. gen. A. Borealis is a great idea too!!!

Edited by Sixty8panther

Since I can't go through a single "What should I get?" conversation without recommending a Cobalt, here goes: Get a Cobalt. You won't be sorry :-D OK, now that I got that out of the way, I sort of agree with Sixty8's suggestion of a gently used PA, just because of you guys' tendency towards and familiarity with big GM cars. HHRs are pretty huge inside. With the seats folded down there's almost as much flat surface area as a compact pickup. Here's an off-the-wall suggestion. How about a minivan/CSV? They're great for road trips, and when you need to lug stuff around you can still fold or remove the seats. If you need a truck, you could go for a gently used S10/Sonoma. They're cheap to obtain and maintain, get good highway mileage, and they're tough as nails.