Still no deals...

So I thought that now might be a good time to replace my '05 Cobalt with a new one - I know, how often do people do that? ...but it's been good to me. Priced out an '09 with pretty much the same options, trading in the old one, and some GM Visa points used, and still... the payment over 48 months is $413. My payment now is $444. Wow, such a compelling deal GM... give me a break!

How do they expect to come out of a slump if they have news like this going on and they have no incentives?

ps. and this was on a day where they brought in 'deal-makers' from the US to sell them at no-haggle prices. The previous quote was MORE than what I'm paying now! They quoted $465/mo.

I'm with you, Mr. Dart. I don't want to have to worry about reliability. I'd be wanting a new one, too. Mine was MSRP $17,500, I got it for $16,200+ with "Employee Pricing". $444 down to $413 doesn't sound bad to me, though, for a car that is 4 years newer. Good luck, sir.

I hate to say it as primarily a GM guy but you should check out *cough* Ford *cough*. A Fusion SEL 3.0 V6 (FWD) can be had for 23000$CDN after Delivery allowance and incentives... a Focus SES sedan for 20K $CDN. I can tell you that if I was in the market right now that deal on the Fusion would be almost too good to pass up.

I hate to say it as primarily a GM guy but you should check out *cough* Ford *cough*. A Fusion SEL 3.0 V6 (FWD) can be had for 23000$CDN after Delivery allowance and incentives... a Focus SES sedan for 20K $CDN. I can tell you that if I was in the market right now that deal on the Fusion would be almost too good to pass up.

There should be some good deals on them before the new ones roll out this summer...

Well, the outlook for me getting a new contract with my school district in June is very dim at this point (since we don't have to be "officially" told until April 30th, everything right now is up in the air). The principal and union president separately have told the high school staff that non-tenred teachers (not me thankfully) and low-seniority holders (however, this is me in my department; even with 7 years there I still have no one below me and too many above) should take pro-active measures now as the school budget is projected to be $4 million short for 2009/2010. I've seen the behind-the-scenes actions lately by administration and I can tell that my job is "expendable".

Where am I going with this? Well, come November I won't have a car anymore - my GMAC SmartLease contract expires and leasing today is just about non-existant. If I don't have a new teaching job for September, I won't be able to afford a new car anyway. Trying to get out of my lease now (which I can't do financially anway) for a new or slightly used car isn't feasible (coupled with the remaining 9 payments, until I know whether or not I have a new contract for next year a new car payment is the last thing I need). So while I would like to say I can look forward to a new car in mid- to late-2009, that concept may just have to be 'shelved' for an undetermined amount of time :(

Terrific deals in some ways and on some things, like the G8. Not that I got huge cash off, but with a nice chunk under invoice and $2k dealer cash, even with a bit of upside down-ness on my Malibu SmartBuy (err...lease, sort of), with the 1.9 financing I'm at a number I'm happy to pay monthly for such a car.

I could never work a G8 deal before that seemed plausible, but the February stuff made it happen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm glad it did for me when it did, trade and all.

Keep that G8 for a long time, it''s bound to be a classic.

Hence getting one when I did, and the 6 year almost no interest financing...it shall be around for a while. Already changing out little things, adding things, getting it tuned, etc. so that's a good sign with me.

Well, the outlook for me getting a new contract with my school district in June is very dim at this point (since we don't have to be "officially" told until April 30th, everything right now is up in the air). The principal and union president separately have told the high school staff that non-tenred teachers (not me thankfully) and low-seniority holders (however, this is me in my department; even with 7 years there I still have no one below me and too many above) should take pro-active measures now as the school budget is projected to be $4 million short for 2009/2010. I've seen the behind-the-scenes actions lately by administration and I can tell that my job is "expendable".

Where am I going with this? Well, come November I won't have a car anymore - my GMAC SmartLease contract expires and leasing today is just about non-existant. If I don't have a new teaching job for September, I won't be able to afford a new car anyway. Trying to get out of my lease now (which I can't do financially anway) for a new or slightly used car isn't feasible (coupled with the remaining 9 payments, until I know whether or not I have a new contract for next year a new car payment is the last thing I need). So while I would like to say I can look forward to a new car in mid- to late-2009, that concept may just have to be 'shelved' for an undetermined amount of time :(

I hope you'll see be there...

Hence getting one when I did, and the 6 year almost no interest financing...it shall be around for a while. Already changing out little things, adding things, getting it tuned, etc. so that's a good sign with me.

Derek, did you compare the G8 (3.6L V6) to the G8 GT (6.0L V8)? I'd like to know your views on both cars if you did. While I'd love to own a G8 GT with the awesome 6.0L V8 powering those rear wheels, I'm sure the 3.6L V6 would be the more economical choice overall. But if you feel the extra $$$ for the G8 GT is worth it, I'd like to hear it. Also, what kind of MPG are you getting and how many miles on one tank between refills? BTW, I still hate you for buying my color!! :neenerneener:

Derek, did you compare the G8 (3.6L V6) to the G8 GT (6.0L V8)? I'd like to know your views on both cars if you did. While I'd love to own a G8 GT with the awesome 6.0L V8 powering those rear wheels, I'm sure the 3.6L V6 would be the more economical choice overall. But if you feel the extra $$$ for the G8 GT is worth it, I'd like to hear it. Also, what kind of MPG are you getting and how many miles on one tank between refills? BTW, I still hate you for buying my color!! :neenerneener:

I'll get on that, along with pictures, soon...I promise.

As far as deals, I actually was back up to the dealer I bought my G8 from in Jersey to meet the clear bra guy and have him add more to a few areas and also have my radio reflashed by service, and their sales were CRAZY today. Very small place, but in just the time I was there, an Acadia SLE was delivered & the people drove off with it, an HD Sierra extended cab was prepped and ready to go, a couple walked in to look at Acadias, made a deal, and just waited for the papers and cleaning to be done to drive off in it, another lady came in looking at Acadias and wanted to look at different options, another couple bought a used Rainier, a black G8 base was prepped and picked up, etc., etc. They were dealing and "well, it is the last day of the month" was said more than once, in the midst of happy dealings. Even the owner was relegated to helping touch up clean some cars and install front plate brackets. What a great sight to see, at a dealer;)

Despite the awesome financing, it seems like most are still doing rebates and then either bank rate shopping via the dealer or coming ready with CU financing. I wonder what next month deals will be, but this month's stuff seems to have done pretty well and really picked things up mid month onward, from what I gathered talking to some people--even the clear bra guy who said that was when his business jumped up dramatically.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually the deal wasn't that bad, it was the 8.89% financing that went with it that really killed the numbers. I think in the end I'll just keep my car until $h! happens.

You do realize that they've lopped off about $4,000 off the MSRP since your '95 Cobalt, plus added 16" alloy rims, ABS and a host of other improvements. Not to question your motives, but this is why I won't go back into the car business. 99% of the people out there wouldn't recognize a good deal if it bit them on the wiener. I am surprised at you, YellowDart. I would have thought you understood better how this works.

Just because a company is on the verge or bankruptcy, how do you reasonably expect your payment to go DOWN on a newer car? And the fact that it did is a fantastic deal, IMO. The 8.89% is also a good rate, unless you have a house to put up for lien, do you? The 0% just comes out of the manufacturer's margins anyway. Take the 8.89 and pay it off in a year or two.

The screws just keep twisting tighter.