Polo, anyone?

Well well!

Badging and taillamps aside, I do believe the exterior of this car could carry the Audi linked-rings.

The exterior is dynamic, interesting, and has that special German-serious look to it. I really do enjoy its appearance. I hope the 3-door looks even better and I am certainly glad this is not as boring to look at as the Golf VI. I'm surprised that more wasn't done with the rectangular taillamps of the previously offered car.

The interior, however could decidedly not. It looks rather cheap and jarring. The worst aspect in my opinion is the airbag cutline on the passenger side of the dash. It already seems to look dated and lacks the cohesive styling and design I have come to expect of VW/Audi products. Rather like a 1980's rehash.

The bloody glovebox door doesn't even lock!

Volkswagen has made mention of considering bringing the Polo stateside, and I would gladly drive one and compare it to the North American-spec Ford Fiesta, but that's only if they (Ford or VW) bring their 3-door counterparts over.

I'm not much of one for the extra doors since I do not have a need for them, and sliding a seat is better than walking. Period.

Like all things, it must be experienced and inspected first hand!

After seeing this, the Fiesta comes across as trendy. This is better proportioned, conservative, yet sporty. Yes, the interior is plain, I'll guess it is a deliberate return to simplicity for VW. Very purposeful, a trait I love about VW that they've gone away from in recent years.

The article states start of production for the 5-door, with no mention of a 3-door. I hope that's an oversight, because I am a 2-door kinda guy.

I can't say that I like it better than the Fiesta, but I do like it.

I totally agree. If I was in the market for a subcompact 5-door, I would probably prefer the Fiesta over the Polo. That being said, I do applaud VW for making this a conservatively handsome design and avoiding the impulse to apply an over-the-top front end design to add visual "interest"; too many auto makers (especially the Japanese) are doing this these days and it ruins the looks of the vehicle. VW might have played it safe, but at least they didn't make it ugly.

I will disagree with Ocnblu, this car is plain, very ugly and the interior is pathetic. There are far superior auto's out there in the same price rang, some very much american. Why send our hard earned cash out of the country?

Live in America, Buy American and Drive American IMO.

Live in America, Buy American and Drive American IMO.

Or.... Buy what you like and don't sell yourself with an inferior product, whether that product be American, European, Asian, etc. It's not a difficult concept.

I don't pity the fools who bought all those J-bodies, N-bodies, and W-bodies over the years based on that concept.

"I love my American made Cavalier, including the three American made engines I had to put in it, the two American made trannies my American warranty covered, and all those American made parts that rattle, squeak, and eventually fall off that was graciously included with my American purchase. I love all that American made depreciation, as well. I lost $10k in two years, but it was money well spent on America!"

Well, all of my American cars have served me well. Especially my old Plymouth Breeze.

Noisy, slow, slightly rattly yes, but it was efficient, fun to toss about, and never let me down. It was a very handsome and dependable thing.

Of course, for American cars that are small and I have driven recently, the Cobalt is the most refined; and the Focus was more fun (pre second update). Second gen Neons really aren't bad cars either, and although they ride a tisch soft for my liking, it was still a blast to drive and eager feeling.

Polo versus Fiesta? Well, that would come down to a drive. I like the wilder Fiesta, but the mature Polo is nice to look upon as well. Of course, without a three-door, I'd default Fiesta.

• 2 weeks later...
Or.... Buy what you like and don't sell yourself with an inferior product, whether that product be American, European, Asian, etc. It's not a difficult concept.

I don't pity the fools who bought all those J-bodies, N-bodies, and W-bodies over the years based on that concept.

"I love my American made Cavalier, including the three American made engines I had to put in it, the two American made trannies my American warranty covered, and all those American made parts that rattle, squeak, and eventually fall off that was graciously included with my American purchase. I love all that American made depreciation, as well. I lost $10k in two years, but it was money well spent on America!"

Totally agree, and the analogy is quite funny.

Besides, for the segment what exactly is there to buy that's American anyway? The Korean Aveo or it's exciting piece of $h! twin the G3?

*shrugs*

My cavaliers are holding up fine......