The Lucerne is finally in the hunt.

Posted Image

Buick is hoping to become the American Lexus - and the '06 Lucerne is the model Buick hopes will change buyer's hearts and minds. Or at the very least, get them to give Buick a shot at their business before they buy their next Lexus.

Based on the car itself, they should. The Lucerne, which replaces the Park Avenue as Buick's top model, stands a good chance of changing their image dynamic and of doing so without completely alienating the current buyer pool.

This is a handsome ride, for starters, smooth and purposeful. The Lucerne has a steeply sloped windshield, a crisp beltline and minimalist ornamentation save for a nicely done reinterpretation of the classic Buick porthole motif on each front fender (four for V-8 versions; three for those equipped with the V-6 engine) and the classic Buick waterfall grille up front. The Lucerne 's shape and presence is entirely modern, yet very much in keeping with the Buick tradition of subtlety and good taste.

Continue Reading...

Brovo to the Car Connection reviewer for being the first one to mention the great value offered by the CXL V8! It is obvious to The Car Connection that the Lucerne can go head to head with the ES330 and so forth. It certainly does not look like an Asian car, and thus offers a real alternative which has been missing from the market. Given the back seat space, and the modern appearance and features, it would be excellent as a family car, and excellent as a business vehicle, while it should also appeal to those trading in a Park Ave. or LeSabre. With the Lucerne, Buick has radically increased the range of potential buyers for their top of the line car. I don't know why the navigation system will be phased in a few months from now. Is GM working on an upgrade to their navigation system?

I don't know why the navigation system will be phased in a few months from now.  Is GM working on an upgrade to their navigation system?

[post="42461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I believe so as quite a few new GM models with navigation list it as having 'late availability.'

I for one am thrilled for Lucerne. Its everything the Park Avenue almost was for thousands less.

I believe so as quite a few new GM models with navigation list it as having 'late availability.'

I for one am thrilled for Lucerne. Its everything the Park Avenue almost was for thousands less.

[post="42466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Fly, any idea what the upgrade might be? I'm wondering if it'll have anything to do with what Acura has, with the live traffic updates built in or something.

I forecast that this car will not attract the younger urban professional that they hope it will. You will see a very mature demographic driving it as is usual with Buick products. Buick still needs to do 'cool'....the Lucerne is not it and it is not modern, it has a dated look to it. But, it will sell in respectable numbers. It's so much better than the LeSabre.

I stopped in at a local Chevy-Buick-Saab dealer today and saw a black Lucerne w/ tan interior on the lot.. first I've seen upclose--pretty nice. To my surprise, it was unlocked (outside on a Sunday). I sat inside..pretty nice....it was stickered at 38k-ish. Edited by moltar

Brovo to the Car Connection reviewer for being the first one to mention the great value offered by the CXL V8!

It is obvious to The Car Connection that the Lucerne can go head to head with the ES330 and so forth.  It certainly does not look like an Asian car, and thus offers a real alternative which has been missing from the market.  Given the back seat space, and the modern appearance and features, it would be excellent as a family car, and excellent as a business vehicle, while it should also appeal to those trading in a Park Ave. or LeSabre.  With the Lucerne, Buick has radically increased the range of potential buyers for their top of the line car.

I don't know why the navigation system will be phased in a few months from now.  Is GM working on an upgrade to their navigation system?

[post="42461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Didn't GM just buy the rights to a new technology that allows the passenger to see one thing on the screen while the driver sees something totally different? Perhaps that's what they're working on.

Didn't GM just buy the rights to a new technology that allows the passenger to see one thing on the screen while the driver sees something totally different?  Perhaps that's what they're working on.

[post="42596"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Whoah whoah whoah... what?!

Went to a P-B-C dealership in Torrance, CA today... they said Lucernes won't be arriving until December.

[post="42607"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Stupid GM not getting it's new cars out to the coasts quickly. With the Lucerne I'm not sure it would really matter though since I can't see a lot of Californians buying a Lucerne.

Stupid GM not getting it's new cars out to the coasts quickly. With the Lucerne I'm not sure it would really matter though since I can't see a lot of Californians buying a Lucerne.

[post="42612"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Besides people who just like the Lucerne and present Buick customers, don't you think that it will appeal to those who want something different than what everybody else is driving? I live in southern CA, and it definitly interests me. I need to drive one, but think it likely that I will buy one. Also, I am just 48, so am nowhere near to being "old." I also can afford (= pay cash for) just about any car I want, but the CXL V8 looks like a good value, while I think that it would be foolish to buy the far over-priced LS430, S-class, or 7-Series. Edited by FSTephenMasek

Besides people who just like the Lucerne and present Buick customers, don't you think that it will appeal to those who want something different than what everybody else is driving?  I live in southern CA, and it definitly interests me.  I need to drive one, but think it likely that I will buy one.  Also, I am just 48, so am nowhere need to being "old."  I also can afford (= pay cash for) just about any car I want, but the CXL V8 looks like a good value, while I think that it would be foolish to buy the far over-priced LS430, S-class, or 7-Series.

[post="42753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I would think as well - smart consumers who realize Buick quality and reliability is up there with (or in cases, above) the 'best' and would rather purchase a competant vehicle than one overloaded with gadgetry and options one would never use.

Yes, the price is right - a Lucerne CXL V8 with every option except the sunroof and engine block heater has an invoice price of $32,751. For someone who wants a sunroof and block heater, those would only add $776 to the invoice. There are plenty of nice paint colors, but people who want the Crimson Pearl need to pay $411 more, while those who want Sharkskin or White Gold Flash have to pay $826 more. The Lucerne also has more interior color choices than most cars, with the Tuxedo Blue / Shale two-tone in addition to the typical tan, gray, and black. Edited by FSTephenMasek