Chickenfoot

Clicky. Use the music player on the left side for a preview.

Sammy Hagar + Michael Anthony + Chad Smith + Joe Satriani = pretty darn good.

I've been waiting to hear this album by the 'Other 1/2' , and I think I'll be very happy when I get the album.

Here's hoping this will persuade Eddie to crank out something worth listening to, instead of more 'introspective' bull$h! a la VHIII.

• 2 months later...

I heard one song on the air about a week ago, didn't like it at all, but I could never get behind Hagar's vocals & lyrics (aside from some of his VH stuff).

Have any of these 'supergroups' ever paid off as big as the incarnations that made them famous in the first place?

I heard one song on the air about a week ago, didn't like it at all, but I could never get behind Hagar's vocals & lyrics (aside from some of his VH stuff).

Have any of these 'supergroups' ever paid off as big as the incarnations that made them famous in the first place?

Hagar's notoriously bad with a lot of his lyrics. This is the guy that actually penned "Only time will tell if we stand the test of time" in a song. When the DJs at my local rock station grabbed a copy of "Soap on a Rope", they were literaly ripping apart the lyrics line by line, and you can hear one of the techs in the background say "C'mon! This is Sammy Hagar, not William Shakespeare!!"

I have the whole album now, and it's pretty tight. They're clearly having fun and it rocks, which allows me to look over Hagar's lyrical deficiencies. I was worried that Satriani might try to dominate, but he seems content being 1/4 of a band. And he's fantastic as a rhythm guitarist, something Eddie kind of forgot how to do in recent years.

Assuming Chickenfoot achieves some sort of commercial success (and I think they will), I see no reason why we couldn't get a few albums out of them. Obviously Hagar and Anthony are very tight. I think Satch would hang on if only because this'll take his career to heights he could never achieve as a soloist. Not sure about Smith, but as long as he's having fun I see no reason why he'd leave.

I don't think this has happened at all, unless you possibly count 1987-1989 era Whitesnake as a 'supergroup.' I don't like the term myself, and just see these groups as a bunch of seasoned dudes getting together to have some fun, and maybe make a ton of money in the process, hopefully melding their talents relatively equally. Chickenfoot does a pretty good job.

Picking apart lyrics by Sammy is like shooting fish in a bucket. The thing is, rock musicians can't really win when it comes to lyrics: they're either labelled by critics as 'dumb' or 'pretentious' (especially if they're by Neal Peart and Co.)

After picking up the Chickenfoot CD, its likely the best thing so far in 2009. (Marilyn Mansons new one isnt bad either, but thats kind of a different genre).

Did anyone who picked up the Digipak CD notice that it is all heat sensitive? Cool but annoying... you need to hold you hands over the packaging to warm it up so you can read the track listings. Also, there are pictures of the band members on the cover, concealed by the heat sensitive black.