TODAY SUCKS!!!

David

We'll I am as of today joining the 9 million plus that are now unemployed. Only 2 weeks ago they company talked about how our new product division is so strong and great and boom, the upper mgmt shows up today flying in from San Jose to Seattle and immediatly pulls us all into a team meeting and informs us that under the new organization they will be closing down this engineering site. Each of us got a compensation package and the day to clean out our offices. So much for thinking our long hours and new products what securing our jobs through this depression.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. I hope this opens up the door to something more exciting for you.

Thanks, Yup gotta get going on an updated Resume and hit the Internet pavement. :P

Sorry to hear that.. these are 'dynamic' times, to say the least. I was laid off from a startup last July, then started a 6 month contract in September. It ended a month early in March because the client had a $250 million budget shortfall for the year, but another client popped up with a 1 yr contract, so my downtime was a week. That gig is going well so far.

I've had a few feelers from other headhunters since then, including one representing a certain big online retailer in the Seattle area that's contacted me several times in the last year about a perm. position. Something to think about, but moving back to Denver is still my first choice for my next move.

I too am feeling the pain of the economy....

Just thinking about how good things were 5-8 years ago makes me very very angry.

Good luck in your quest for a job, loyalty to employees is a thing of the past it would seem.

Chris

I too am feeling the pain of the economy....

Just thinking about how good things were 5-8 years ago makes me very very angry.

Good luck in your quest for a job, loyalty to employees is a thing of the past it would seem.

Chris

Sucks man, sorry to hear it. I'm still looking for a job....some of the qualifications places have are ridiculous.

Example: For a graphic design job:

- Current college student or recent graduate (with a GPA of 3.5 or above)

- Preference given to candidates with sports team captain experience.

- The position is for 4-weeks from early July through August.

Others want more intelligent but also difficult to qualify for things...like 5+ years experience, expert knowledge of CODING for a DESIGN job, etc.

Hell, DF everyone is unemployed right now. I'd bet the real unemployment rate is closer to 14 or 15 percent if you take into account under employed and people who've given up looking, people working part time rather than full, etc.

Chris

I have no intention of giving up, but finding an actual job gets very discouraging. I've only been able to barely get the part time contract job I have and odd jobs.

Actually everything here you've posted has been great, DF.

Best of luck to you, DF.

Chris

I have no intention of giving up, but finding an actual job gets very discouraging. I've only been able to barely get the part time contract job I have and odd jobs.

Actually everything here you've posted has been great, DF.

Best of luck to you, DF.

Chris

Exactly, I will not go down without a Fight, just sucks the way they did this especially after the hype and visit with upper mgmt a couple weeks ago. I will have to say that I truly do believe this was a last minute decision.

Course I just got an email asking if I could stay on a few weeks to work down in San jose doing TOI (Transfer of Information) to get all the new engineers up to speed on the hardware projects we have been doing so they can continue the development. :( I think they will end up spending more money and loosing time to go to one dev site versus keeping us open. I really am surprised by what the Board thinks is better cost mgmt.

We'll I get to sleep on this and decide tomorrow as they will keep me onboard. I probably will do this as I can give the TOI and also work on my resume and job search while still getting a paycheck.

Good Luck DF on your search as well.

I am also in the job market, as I am graduating from college in 2 weeks. Needless to say, it is a difficult year. All I can say is keep plugging away and you will find something. Are you open to relocation?

We are working 4 day weeks where I am. We make circuit boards for quite a few things and it has hit us too. They let 44 people go a little more than a month ago. The 4 day weeks are to keep us all there unstead of getting rid of more people. Hopefully they claim June is looking better but I will believe it when I see it. I long for the days like when I got this job back in October of '99 when you had your pick of Jobs.

Hell, DF everyone is unemployed right now. I'd bet the real unemployment rate is closer to 14 or 15 percent if you take into account under employed and people who've given up looking, people working part time rather than full, etc.

Chris

i need to find the link. its actually at least 15.6%. combine that with people who are underemployed and have to accept pay cuts and its well over 20%.

me, out of work since Jan and no hope in sight. this economy is bull$h!. was just talking with my sister. she and i both agree, all the companies are going to pay big time when things pick up again. having to remake their employment staff which they lost to firings and cut wages and turnover.

not my problem. i basically lost any allegiance to anyone after this go round. hate to say it, but at some point, the effort you put into work has to have some reward.

I drive an Aztek for crying out loud. If that doesn't prove lack of reward........

dfelt, i am really sorry about this. a lot of people will try to cheer you up and offer advice now, but honestly most of the time to those folks unless i can really gauge their sincerity, i just let it go in one ear and out the other.

people don't need life coaches or encouragement right now, they need work.

its a segway for me but what the heck i will throw it out there. one person i was working with got involved in a startup for a new venture here, but it involves someone well off starting a company and utilizing overseas factories to build a knockoff product here in the states. big savings over the competition (which is made in US) but if this pans out it will be a competitor selling for much less. great business venture, but a sign of the times. drive down our wages or take our jobs from here and send them overseas.

Edited by regfootball