Process of elimination

After spending a little time thinking about what the new GM is going to be like, it looks like I will always be out of luck looking for something from them.

I'm now down to exactly one brand that I'd even consider generally speaking. That would be Chevy.

Even there, the chances that they will build something I would want don't look good.

I want a GTO-sized sport coupe/convertible, or a ute, or a wagon, with RWD and a V8 and a manual trans.

Yeah, the Camaro comes close - but I want something more individual, and Chevy isn't about that these days.

So I'm stuck with the very slim possibility of the VE Ute making a return as an El Camino (or GMC variant, I guess).

I just don't see anything else left on the horizon.

God, but I could use some good news.

Well, you want something more individual, so you get a special Camaro that's rare and has the looks and performance to back it up. It's not like Firebirds were exactly rare in their last generation. I see just as many as Camaros.

Or here's an idea, take the Camaro and make it into a Firebird, sort of like what's being done to make the Challenger into a `Cuda. Then you'd have a Firebird more rare than any before it.

Or buy a C6 Corvette. RWD, coupe, V8, manual, comparatively rare, etc.

Or find a way to import a Ute.

Well, you want something more individual, so you get a special Camaro that's rare and has the looks and performance to back it up. It's not like Firebirds were exactly rare in their last generation. I see just as many as Camaros.

Or here's an idea, take the Camaro and make it into a Firebird, sort f like what's being done to make the Challenger into a `Cuda.

Or buy a C6 Corvette. RWD, coupe, V8, manual, comparatively rare, etc.

Or find a way to import a Ute.

That last option is in play if it becomes a viable one.

But the real point is, that I feel like GM just decided to excommunicate me entirely.

EDIT: My Firehawk was quite rare, and would have been even without the Firehawk package.

GM only built 901 Formulas in 2002, Firehawk or otherwise.

Edited by Camino LS6

You could always focus on the older GM cars that you like, and buy them and restore them or buy them already restored. There will always be something for me from GM even if its from the past, but thats just me.

Edited by Daryl Z71

What you are looking for just doesn't exist in 2009. You either have to go smaller, or larger or accept 4drs. Or change your parameters to fit the reality.

Edited by Cubical

Not so easy as that for me.

IDK about you but for me it's just hard to wake up one day and say "Oh well I give up on General Motors Im going to buy a Ford"

Very hard, and that's just the point.

Yea I mean even if they make nothing anymore you like, its just hard to move on because you have supported them for so long.

Thanks for the understanding. :rolleyes:

MY expectations have not changed, GM has.

I'm just being realistic. It is what it is. I know there are things I'd like to have a product that aren't being offered, but I know as an individual I can't infuence a company's product mix, so I accept the reality as it is. For these troubled times, the way I look at things is to expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised when something pleasant happens.

Edited by Cubical

I gather you're not a fan of the CTS coupe. It's probably the closest you'll get that isn't a Camaro.

I would not write off the Ute yet.

I just wish they would have kept the G8 and Solstice. The more I think about it they were the cars that Pontiac needed, and even though it's still hard to believe I just don't understand the reasoning behind axing something that was just starting to get good again.

+1 on Solstice Targa. When I test drove it, it drove so well. The only things which I will improve is:

1. Make it livable

2. Stiffen up the suspension - personal taste- feels a little bit mushy

3. Put a 6 speed

+1 on Solstice Targa. When I test drove it, it drove so well. The only things which I will improve is:

1. Make it livable

2. Stiffen up the suspension - personal taste- feels a little bit mushy

3. Put a 6 speed

I can't argue with any of that, but it would still be too small for me to be comfortable in.

Not that I'm a big guy (I'm not), I just feel uncomfortable in small cars.

I can't argue with any of that, but it would still be too small for me to be comfortable in.

Not that I'm a big guy (I'm not), I just feel uncomfortable in small cars.

Yes, it has to be for small trips - your second or third car. Taking it even for a 300 miles round trip will be like shooting in the face. And I am not a tall and big guy either.

I think you need to look Green my man and show the world the way!

Raser 100 MPG Hummer Hybrid

:scratchchin:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/3677250#30518064

So I have updated the link and it should work now, sorry about that. I have also printed it here so you can cut and past it into your own browser. Enjoy, :)

Here is the web site for the company also:

http://www.rasertech.com/media/videos/the-electric-h3

Edited by dfelt

Camino I have to give you this the things you want in car haven't changed at all. GM has, in the fact that they killed your ST and now Pontiac. Your Firehawk was rare for sure but I hate to be a smart-a$$ but they sold plenty of Firebirds/Trans Ams in '02 that year tho. So why would an SLP or SMS Camaro SS be any different just wondering?

Edited by gm4life

Camino I have to give you this the things you want in car haven't changed at all. GM has, in the fact that they killed your ST and now Pontiac. Your Firehawk was rare for sure but I hate to be a smart-a$$ but they sold plenty of Firebirds/Trans Ams in '02 that year tho. So why would an SLP or SMS Camaro SS be any different just wondering?

Actually, as I said before, only 901 Formulas were built in 2002 (including Formula Firehawks).

The Camaro doesn't have a factory package that floats my boat yet. And they will be everywhere.

The Challenger fits the bill better from the start on that front.

Any SMS,SLP, etc. Camaro won't be an RPO car, so I'm less interested.

Actually, as I said before, only 901 Formulas were built in 2002 (including Formula Firehawks).

The Camaro doesn't have a factory package that floats my boat yet. And they will be everywhere.

Oh okay I understand what you are saying. Thanks for making things clearer, ever since Pontiac got the ax I haven't been myself.

Oh okay I understand what you are saying. Thanks for making things clearer, ever since Pontiac got the ax I haven't been myself.

So, does anyone actually see anything coming out that will get my attention again?

I just don't see GM making it happen.

I might need a truck in the 2015-2020 time frame, but that's about it.

What about a used one of these:

porsche%20cayman%20s%202006.jpg

It's not a V8, but can you really argue with mid-engine, RWD?

Granted, it's a tad expensive perhaps, but you can get a 2007 with 10k or less miles for ~$40k.

So, does anyone actually see anything coming out that will get my attention again?

I just don't see GM making it happen.

I might need a truck in the 2015-2020 time frame, but that's about it.

The answer to your question can be found by clicking this link

I dunno.

I've only been really tempted by a Porsche once.

I won't say no immediately though.

Perhaps after reading this you'll think for a second time:

Meanwhile, new software aids include brake-based hill-holding and launch control (we saw a two-way zip-to-60 average of 4.5 seconds without even trying -- way faster than the 4.9 seconds Porsche is officially stating). Porsche claims a 171-mph top speed.

On the damp roads we encountered along Spain's southern coast (no doubt, it was raining on the plains), the Cayman drove as if there were an asphalt-dryer inches ahead of it. This thing is simply exquisite -- a thoroughbred racehorse in metal, a partner in road-gobbling that borders on the magical, more a 320-horsepower driving glove than a car. Stare as hard as you like, you'll never find the grooves that just gotta be there in the road to make an automobile handle like this. The risk Porsche engineers have taken all along with the Cayman is that, sooner or later, they'd dial its performance up so high its natural advantage in mid-engine balance and trimmer-scale would finally propel it into outshining the iconic 911 Carrera. Personally, I think that moment has arrived. Lithe on the road, fluidly seductive in appearance, and positively alive in your hands: It's now, in my humble opinion, very simply the best sports car in the world.

Of course, it's from MT, but still sounds amazing.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...rive/specs.html

Perhaps after reading this you'll think for a second time:

Of course, it's from MT, but still sounds amazing.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...rive/specs.html

The Cayman is an impressive car. For a Porsche, I'd go for a Boxster S...a used one is on my list for next fun car--just because in a sports car, I want a ragtop.

Edited by Cubical

Thing is, it would have to happen more than a year ahead of when I had planned to take the new car plunge - so I don't see that happening either.

By the time I'd be comfortable doing it, they'll be long gone.

But used might be an option.

I would not even consider such a thing if I hadn't spent so much wheel time in an M5.

Edited by Camino LS6

The Cayman is an impressive car. For a Porsche, I'd go for a Boxster S...a used one in my list--just because in a sports car, I want a ragtop.

But the Cayman handles better and is better looking, IMO. I never cared much for the Boxster's appearance, top up it looks dumb from the back and with the top down it's not a stunner.